Lock Up - Called me "Charles"

Roger.Willson

Reaction score
Handicap
NSFW
Wondering if anyone has gone through this before.

The Background
41 years old, participated in sports my whole life, slightly overweight (210, normal is 190). 2nd full year of playing golf. Learning a lot, had a couple of professional lessons last year and this year, finding out my own swing "faults" by video, lots of basement practice this past winter, can rail my 6 iron 180-190, few drives over 300, not too shabby with a gap/pitching wedge, getting better at chipping with my 9 iron, love my 3 wood at 220-240, enjoy a nice 3 hybrid at 210, have made some "holy cow, you made that" putts, happy with my progress for year 2...

The Catch
...at the range in Bolingbrook, in my basement, at the Ditka Dome, in the back yard, on the putting green, in my pre-shot routine and a few holes while actually golfing.

The Issue
When it's live, meaning I'm playing "golf" and the shots count, after the 2nd or 3rd hole I literally lock up. After I swing, I feel as if I've just posed for Mr. Olympia and I HURT. I literally am so tight, my swing looks worse than Barkley's (seriously, that what my friend said Friday, we laughed, all good). My shoulders, neck, arms all are filled with tension that I might as well pick the ball up and throw it because it would go farther. After a round of "this" it feels like I just worked out for 4 hours straight and I'm just waiting for the lactic acid to start building.

The Question
Anyone else struggled with this? The same thing happened to me a few years ago in softball. Played baseball all my life, captain of HS baseball team, hit over .330. When in the game, I hit ground balls to 3rd or SS and only get on base because I can still bust out a 4.6-4.7 40 yard dash. It's embarrassing. Any thoughts, ideas, theories as to why this happens?

I think it is safe to say that this is more of a mental issue versus a physical. I have a couple of clients that look great on the range and in the bay, but on the course they are unable to make a pass. There are a couple of things that I can do to help, but a mental coach is the real answer here. In terms of what I can offer try these things. When going to hit your shot. Commit to what you are doing. Talk over you plan of attack with a partner. Talking about it helps to commit to what you are doing. Pick a small target out there. Not just left side right side, I mean I want to land it on that little brown spot in the fairway. Narrowed focus is a big help outh there. One other way to release tension is before you play your shot, grip the club as hard as you can. Hold that for 10 seconds, now release, you should feel the blood return and the tension running out of your arms. Let me know if there is more I can do to help.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a go and report back. What bothers me is that it's the same thing that happened in softball and I have no idea why.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a go and report back. What bothers me is that it's the same thing that happened in softball and I have no idea why.

Mental problems are so difficult to understand. Help from a coach may be a good option

Tap tap taparoo

So get this, I went to Broken Arrow in Lockport, IL. Didn't keep score. More than likely, I broke 100 for the first time. Hit fairways (most of the time), nailed some nice hybrid shots and only recall "locking" up a few times.

Didn't
Keep
Score...

Who knew?

Back