cauley

Reaction score
Handicap
my driver
As posted in a different thread, I'm planning to get fitted for a new driver. I'd love feedback on heads/shafts I should be sure to try. My current driver is at least 5 years old, a Cleveland Launcher Comp, 10.5* loft, with a stock regular shaft.

Swing info: Unfortunately, I know very little about my swing stats, I'll look forward to the monitor feedback. I bought my current driver ~5 years ago at Golfsmith, and at the time I think my swing speed was around 98. I'm a much better golfer now, but no idea if my swing speed has changed in any way.

Hit everything you can. Really hard to tell you what to try by not knowing anything, but after you get some numbers on the monitor a lot of people will be able to point you in the right direction. Im betting when you get fit the guy there will be able to get the perfect driver for you. Just go in not focusing on any 1 club and hit them all.

Anything I really have to try? (They have 2 programs, the cheaper of which offers fewer options than the more expensive.)

Anything I really have to try? (They have 2 programs, the cheaper of which offers fewer options than the more expensive.)

You like TaylorMade equipment? How far do you live from Carlsbad, CA?

If your not far from there, you have a chance a one of the top places to get fitted. Its a little pricey but if you have the extra cash its well worth it.

Hmmm... I hit 9 different drivers for 2.5 hours a couple weeks ago. I was sore for 2 days without a doubt. I tried the R11, Burner Super Fast 2.0 TP, Callaway RAZR Hawk, Nike VR Pro, Nike Machspeed Black, Adams Speedline, Ping G15, Ping I15.

Each one brought something different to the table. All in all though the pro was of little help, I had some monitor information to look for thanks to many other threads on this great site but if you can have the help of a good fitter there you won't be disappointed.

Don't go in with preconceived brands good or bad in your mind. That's about the best thing I can say I think...

I would say the new Clevelands are a big one to try if you liked your old driver. (XL270 SL290 TL310)

I am pretty sure you will be covered by all the major brands in the fitting and you will get to take a look at almost all of the top drivers. (smaller companies would be left off)

The other day I hit the Cleveland and the ping G20. I love the technology with the Cleveland fairway woods but the Ping G20 was one of the best drivers I've ever hit. I have never liked ping but for some reason I wanted to hit it and it was amazing. But like some of these guys have said i would go get fitted and see what your numbers are with all of them. Then go with feel and #s

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Every company really is bringing it in the driver category this year. Personally, I think the white stuff is overrated. Boccieri seems to have a sweet driver out right now, as does Nicklaus. Of course, Callaway's lineup is really bomber this year. Your options are really endless.

Got a big demo day near you any time soon? That is the best. I hit around a dozen drivers this spring all on the same morning at the same range with the same balls in the same conditions and came away knowing without doubt I had found the one for me. And you might find ones you expected to love you will hate and ones you thought would be only ok wind up being great.

I play a 4 year old Cleveland Launcher and haven't found a driver I like better yet. I demo'd several drivers last month and the two or three I liked the best were the Mizuno JPX800 and the TM R11. The R11 is the first TM driver I have hit in years that felt right to me. The Adams Speedline series and Cleveland DST Tour are also in the mix, if I had to go out and buy one right now I would probably get the R11 and I am not a big fan of the adjustable heads. The other driver I hit recently was the Wilson Smooth, it is probably a distant 4th or 5th on my list but similar in head shape to the Clevelands and a solid driver. If I were going to look at Ping I would buy a used G5 and put a new shaft in it, it is one of the best drivers ever made and long.

The R11 driver is worthy of being hit if you ask me. Best driver I have hit in ages

As has been said, hit as many different ones as you can. The new Cleveland stuff is great. I would also have the RAZR Hawk, R11 and Superfast on my short list. If you do hit the R11, be sure to try as many of the different shafts as possible. Most important thing going into any fitting, but especially drive fitting, is to go in with an open mind. Be as objective as possible and choose the club that fits your swing the best. I know that I was surprised that the Adams worked out so well for me. I went in thinking Cleveland or RAZR Hawk. Adams blew both of them out of the water.

Also, have fun! Outside of a demo day, you don't get many chances to try out that many clubs.

there are so many drivers - its hard to pick em out - honestly - what works best for your swing is going to be the best driver for you. but that is hard for people to distinguish. they go in with a mindset - i want this, this is best. etc. when in fact - every driver will give them different launch conditions, backspin numbers etc.

do you like more carry, less roll?
or
more roll, less carry?

that will change things too i think.

Back