Dent in the wedge shaft, big problem?

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
For some odd reason, there is a small dent in the shaft of my sand wedge. It is directly on one of the steps. Will this cause any major problems for me?

For some odd reason, there is a small dent in the shaft of my sand wedge. It is directly on one of the steps. Will this cause any major problems for me?

No, although after several years of playing it it increases the chances of it breaking as you wear on it.

I had a small dent in an old Ping Eye II SW that was about 12" up from the head years ago and it snapped at the dent from the weakening of playing it . It took several times of playing before it broke and it was a good thing I was coming out of a bunker instead of hitting it from the fairway .

Make sure it's not a serious dent. I snapped a lob wedge shaft and hit myself in the back with the head last season! The dent then shifted from the shaft, to my back, and then to my confidence!

I agree. I hit my wedges pretty hard into the ground and sooner or later a dent will lead to breaking I would think, at least for me anyway. Shafts are pretty cheap and easy to change. I would watch is closely and get it changed if possible.

I have a buddy that missed our Scotland trip because a broken shaft came around and hit him in the arm. It went right into his arm and cut an artery of some sort. Freak case I know, but change it sooner rather than later.

From the iPhone.

how 'new' is the wedge? if the grooves are worn, might as well just buy a new wedge. With the cost of a new shaft, shaft install, and grip, it might make more long term sense to just buy a whole new wedge.

I have a buddy that missed our Scotland trip because a broken shaft came around and hit him in the arm. It went right into his arm and cut an artery of some sort. Freak case I know, but change it sooner rather than later.

From the iPhone.

Holy crap that's some serious stuff there. Was it his club that he swinging or someone elses?

I'd use it as an excuse to upgrade to a DG Spinner shaft or to get a new wedge alltogether.

I was just going to say the same thing, gopher... Those DG Spinner's are worth the upgrade cost!

Back