Titleist 910 Vs. Taylormade R11

Lukey719

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm hearing great things about both. I play in many junior events as well as high school and I'm seeing a lot more 910's than R11's, but on tour you see more R11's. Just tryin to get some of your opinions on which you like better.

The 910 is a good driver for some people for sure but for me it just didn't work out. I have known for a while that I need a low spinning driver, I get plenty of distance so I can sacrifice a little in order to hit the ball straight. The 910 is a very low spinning driver so I was excited to try it out, going in I suspected that it would be perfect for me but in demoing it I just could not get it off the ground hardly at all. 6 or 7 degree launch is all I could get out of that and that just resulted in so much lost distance for me.

The R11 on the other hand is a great driver in my opinion, great because of all the different ways it can be customized to do exactly what you need it to to. Beyond that it just felt so much more solid when I hit it, great distance and very easy to hit straight.

I know the 910 is customizable too and I did not mess with that nearly as detailed as my experience with trying the R11 but even beyond the lack of being able to hit it high I also found that it doesn't feel at good to me as the R11 does. Looks are pretty subjective so I can tell you what I prefer but that is ultimately up to the person buying the club. For me I had more distance, better trajectory and equal amounts of side spin with the R11 so for me it is an easy decision. I really wanted to love the 910 when I hit it, I actually left pretty disappointed that I couldn't get it to work for me, but that's the way it was.

Try them both and decide for yourself which one you like the best, you'll be glad you did.

Very simply: To play either, you need to be fit to them. Both drivers require the right shaft, weighting and adjustment angle to be any good to you IMO.

If we're talking my experiences
- 910 is more forgiving to the mishitter (D2, not D3)
- R11 goes farther and has a hotter face when struck correctly in the center area
- R11 is easier to change the weighting to something that you need
- 910 is easier to to change the loft and lie independant of one another

Currently I still have the 910 in the bag over the R11 but that might change in the future as I groove a better driver swing. The Titleist is fairly automatic for me, even without a great swing, which is why it's currently got it's spot. As a try for more distance, that might not be the case.

Thanks Puttin4Bird. I also need a driver with lower spin. My driver is getting older and I was evaluating my options and these two seem to be the best out there in my opinion. I'm looking forward to hitting both and seeing which fits me better.

Thanks Puttin4Bird. I also need a driver with lower spin. My driver is getting older and I was evaluating my options and these two seem to be the best out there in my opinion. I'm looking forward to hitting both and seeing which fits me better.

Both have their plusses and minuses. Im not sure for my game I would put either as the best option out there, but fitting is definitely the key for them.

Sounds good Super Tuna. I had my irons fit to me and that was probably the best thing and has helped my game out tremendously. Hopefully I can get a new driver fitted and will help me out just as much. Thanks

I'm pretty much in line with ST. I have tried out both and while the carry was about the same distance for me, the R11 was a much higher shot which limited my roll-out. Note that this was with the standard model and no 'tweak' past the stock set up, but given that my backspin was north of 4000rpm the shaft clearly wasn't working for me. The TP model might be a different story, but I am already freaking out at the thought of throwing $400 at a driver...I don't think I can stomach an extra $100 for the TP shaft.

The 910 D3 felt great and gave the results I was looking for, BUT only with the right shaft in play. I tried the Project X, 'ahina and RIP and couldn't do much of anything with them. The Kai'li seemed to be the magic bullet.

That being said, I totally dig the white head on the R11 and after a year or two I will probably have a similar paint job done to my D3.

Dude, hit everything!!!

I will say that one of the guys who was at the Kingdom this weekend had purchased a 910. He was easily the best golfer of all of us and when asked if he was going to switch back to the 910 he said that there was no way and that you would have to pry the R11 from his cold dead hands for him to ever give it up.

I got fitted for a driver about 2 weeks ago. I hit the G15, D3 (RIP shaft) and R11 (blur) on the monitor. Kept switching from one to the other so I didn't skew my results.

R11 outperformed both for me in just about every category. The weird part was that I got about 5 MPH more swing speed with the R11 over the other clubs. I averaged around 106 with the G15, 108 with the D3, and 113 with the R11. My spin numbers off the R11 were about 200-300 RPM less than the others, and I got a better launch angle as well.

I went into the demo thinking that I was going to go home with a Ping or Titleist, and ended up with the R11. Love this club

You can’t go wrong with either stick. They are both smok’en hot drivers. But, like other’s have posted above, make sure you get fitted for them, that is the most important key.

I was able to spend a lot of time with both of them in the launch monitor and found that they both performed very well. However, the 910 was longer by an average of about 5-7 yards. I also found that the 910 was a little more forgiving on off-center hits. I decided to go with the 910 w/ RIP shaft, and am super happy with the way it performs. But, if the 910 wasn’t available for some reason, I’d be bagging the R11.

Good luck in testing, that’s the best part! Keep us posted.

I will say that one of the guys who was at the Kingdom this weekend had purchased a 910. He was easily the best golfer of all of us and when asked if he was going to switch back to the 910 he said that there was no way and that you would have to pry the R11 from his cold dead hands for him to ever give it up.

Thanks Doc, I'm defininately gonna have to hit both and see.

Club Style

Club Style

So both are obviously great clubs. So which style do you guys prefer? The sweet new white club heads, or the sleek all black club heads?

I tried both. Loved the look of the R11, despised the stock blur shaft. Liked the D3, and it performed well for me with the RIP shaft. Not quite well enough over time though.

As said above, both are great. The only wrong choice you can make, imo, is limiting your choice to only 2 drivers. There are a ton of great drivers out there this year.

So both are obviously great clubs. So which style do you guys prefer? The sweet new white club heads, or the sleek all black club heads?

Style-wise, I love the white club head...but I tried the R11 again last night and it doesn't love me back.

I would recommend (as will most of the others here) that you concentrate on what feels better and performs better for you instead of what looks cool. It's hard to do, though!

To be honest, I couldn't line up the all black clubs. There was little to no differentiation between crown and face, so it doesn't paint a good picture of your club face being square/open/closed at address

To be honest, I couldn't line up the all black clubs. There was little to no differentiation between crown and face, so it doesn't paint a good picture of your club face being square/open/closed at address

I never though of that. I guess I will have to see if I have the same problem when I test hit. Thanks jlukes

I am all about the white! It just looks hot compared to the other styles. This is most likely because it is new and bold. If it was orange or red it would be the same way.

I'm always a little biased to Titleist, but Taylormade does make some incredible drivers. Although I would go for the 910 in this situation because, for me, I hate the white lol

I am all about the white! It just looks hot compared to the other styles. This is most likely because it is new and bold. If it was orange or red it would be the same way.

Agreed! But I'm not entirely sure if I could handle a bright orange or red driver.

I couldn't get used to the white head. I guess I'm a traditionalist.

Agreed! But I'm not entirely sure if I could handle a bright orange or red driver.

agreed, i love the white but wouldnt play a red or orange driver.

I prefer the all black head. It lines up great to my eye because of the contrast of the face against the ball. I like that the all black head does not have any lines like traditional drivers do where the steel finish of the face meets the painted finish of the crown. That line is just visual noise to me since it is curved. I find it easier to line up the apex of the face without having to ignore that line. When my friend first got a Supertri, that was the thing I liked most about it.

Having said that, I will go with what I hit the best of those I intend to try; which are the 910/R11/Razr Hawk. Breaks my heart Cobra didn't release a comparable driver this year to add to that mix. I love my ZL but it sets up too closed, even in the open setting, for me. To hit a fade with it requires a swing that I prefer the general public not be forced to witness.

Back