What is wrong with Golf Courses?

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
Over the past little while, its been no secret that golf has been on the decline, with the economy being a big factor of that. But overall, the game just flatout takes too long, is too expensive and is too hard for the average golfer.

But it makes me wonder, what can golf courses do to combat this? What attributes can be added, or removed from a golf course to make it more playable to the average golfer, without making the course boring or lackluster?

Id really like to hear some thoughts.

*How can golf courses become more playable to the average golfer?

Last edited:
Mow the rough a little lower.
Encourage a faster pace of play via marshalls (hire a few retiree's and allow them to play for free in exchange for helping out).
Run some afternoon special rates mid-week.
Quit tricking out holes.
Go back to basics, there is a reason why Donald Ross courses are still loved today.

The only thing I would change would be more marshals out there to speed up play.

I think a huge part of the problem is that we currently live in a very instant society. Golf takes a long time to get comfortable with. Just learning the basics of a swing are hard for even seasoned golfers. What I am trying to say is that there are a lot of people out there with a lot of quit in them. They quit the game of golf the moment it starts to get hard. They would rather play Call of Duty or Wii Golf.

Don't mess with a good thing, golf is fine the way it is. The economy will eventually recover.

Mow the rough a little lower.
Encourage a faster pace of play via marshalls (hire a few retiree's and allow them to play for free in exchange for helping out).
Run some afternoon special rates mid-week.
Quit tricking out holes.
Go back to basics, there is a reason why Donald Ross courses are still loved today.

Agreed 100%

Don't mess with a good thing, golf is fine the way it is. The economy will eventually recover.

The economy isn't the only thing hurting the game of golf. There are a lot of things that are wrong with it.

Also, not every new course needs to be a 5 star and $75 for 18. One of the most enjoyable rounds I had all summer was at a course that was $45 for 18 and a cart.

I really think there is some merit to the "Tee it forward" initiative myself. This way the back tees are still there for those that want and need the challenge but getting most everyone else up where it's going to play a lot easier for them would speed up play a lot.

Having Marshals out on the course is almost a thing of the past. I like to play fast, and getting stuck behind slow play irritates me. How hard is it to keep one or two Marshals out there to enforce speed of play?

Tee it forward
remove white stake OB

The economy isn't the only thing hurting the game of golf. There are a lot of things that are wrong with it.

Also, not every new course needs to be a 5 star and $75 for 18. One of the most enjoyable rounds I had all summer was at a course that was $45 for 18 and a cart.

I disagree that the economy isn't the biggest culprit. When disposable income become more valuable and the cost of golf can be quite prohibitive for beginners to start and add expensive green fees and golf becomes a luxury.

I completely agree with you on the pricing of green fees though, it gets pretty crazy.

I don't like to play a 5 hour round of golf any more than the next guy, but I hate feeling rushed even more. If the golf courses aren't filling their tee times, then maybe they should spread them out a little more. This way no one feels rushed, or held up.

I disagree that the economy isn't the biggest culprit. When disposable income become more valuable and the cost of golf can be quite prohibitive for beginners to start and add expensive green fees and golf becomes a luxury.

I guess I jsut disagree. To me the people with the most disposable income, teenagers, aren't learning the game. I think that part of it is because the game is hard to learn. A lot of teenagers don't want to spend the time to learn how to swing a golf club. The game is dying because young people are not picking the game up. They need to to fill the void(s) left by the oldest generations who grew up with golf, and too many teenagers aren't doing that.

I agree completely with tee it forward.

Much of it is common sense (or a lack thereof in my opinion). Once you get to double par, pick up your ball and stop slowing down your group/those behind you. People are simply not cognizant of those around them. If there is a faster group behind you and you don't want to speed up, allow them to play through. When my wife or son play with me, I keep an eye forward/behind us to ensure that we are not slowing down anyone else that is on the course.

I guess I jsut disagree. To me the people with the most disposable income, teenagers, aren't learning the game. I think that part of it is because the game is hard to learn. A lot of teenagers don't want to spend the time to learn how to swing a golf club. The game is dying because young people are not picking the game up. They need to to fill the void(s) left by the oldest generations who grew up with golf, and too many teenagers aren't doing that.

That's the thing, how many teenagers do you know who can afford to golf? Unless mom and pops are footing the bill it's not going to happen.

I agree completely with tee it forward.

Much of it is common sense (or a lack thereof in my opinion). Once you get to double par, pick up your ball and stop slowing down your group/those behind you. People are simply not cognizant of those around them. If there is a faster group behind you and you don't want to speed up, allow them to play through. When my wife or son play with me, I keep an eye forward/behind us to ensure that we are not slowing down anyone else that is on the course.

I am not a fan of picking up because I feel that if you pay you should be allowed to play. We are all trying to rush through rounds when tbh what are we trying to rush to? Being outside on a golf course is better then being stuck in class or at work. Slow play has been killing me lately and what I see a ton of it is people waiting to hit a shot instead of hitting together. I am terrible when it comes to playing too fast and getting upset at waiting but even then I am learning to calm down. Another thing is that golf courses SUCK at getting groups off...A course I play a lot loves to send out: single, foursome, single, single, foursome...and every 4 minutes is a tee time it just clogs things up from the get go.

Make it easier to find errant balls so people don't have to search for shots that miss the fairway by 5 feet. That could be as simple as mowing the rough a bit short or as complex as removing trees and underbrush.

As for cost/difficulty, I don't know that there's a way to combat that. Golf is hard and some people don't like hard things. I assume the cost of running a course is huge, which is reflected by the amount of money greens fees cost.

I think the USGA/R&A should take care when they make changes to equipment rules.

Make it easier to find errant balls so people don't have to search for shots that miss the fairway by 5 feet. That could be as simple as mowing the rough a bit short or as complex as removing trees and underbrush.

As for cost/difficulty, I don't know that there's a way to combat that. Golf is hard and some people don't like hard things. I assume the cost of running a course is huge, which is reflected by the amount of money greens fees cost.

I think the USGA/R&A should take care when they make changes to equipment rules.

I agree with the errant balls thing. Putting up netting/trees could really help things since I would rather lose distance then lose a ball that costs like 4$

I agree with the errant balls thing. Putting up netting/trees could really help things since I would rather lose distance then lose a ball that costs like 4$

We have a course that is basicall fairway>trees. All you hear all day is "CRACK" from balls hitting the trees. Then you watch people search for 5 minutes while you wait to tee off. Cut them back a little!

I don't mind some difficulty on the course, but I think it can come at the expense of fun and pace of play if designers aren't careful.

I am not a fan of picking up because I feel that if you pay you should be allowed to play. We are all trying to rush through rounds when tbh what are we trying to rush to? Being outside on a golf course is better then being stuck in class or at work. Slow play has been killing me lately and what I see a ton of it is people waiting to hit a shot instead of hitting together. I am terrible when it comes to playing too fast and getting upset at waiting but even then I am learning to calm down. Another thing is that golf courses SUCK at getting groups off...A course I play a lot loves to send out: single, foursome, single, single, foursome...and every 4 minutes is a tee time it just clogs things up from the get go.

Understand but that's also where the common sense comes into play. As a walker, I am usually at or very near my ball so as soon as someone else hits I am ready to go. People are afraid to walk 20 yards to the ball with their clubs so they wait for someone else to hit, admire shot/get pissed/clean club, get back in cart and then drive to other golfers ball and repeat process. Makes for a long round.

Tee it forward. 6000 plus yards is a silly length for players who might drive the ball 200 yards in an unknown direction
14 holes instead of 18
Space tee times out more then 4/5 minutes

None of those things will be popular but we have a course out here that's instituted all three of them. End result is business is up, players are happier and Marshalls are rarely needed. If it wasn't a bit of a drive away, I'd seriously consider making it my home course.

Big thing around here is slow play. That's a killer for me

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I've always thought that every golfer should have to take and pass a test in order to get a "golf card", which must be shown when paying for a round. This test would consist of basic etiquit and rules, to help keep the pace of play where it should be. Now this will be voluntary by golfer and course, so if a course or golfer does not want to participate, they don't have to. But don't expect anything less than a 5 hour round at courses not willing to participate. People not playing ready golf really annoys me as people playing the wrong set of tees for their skill level. I don't think the "Tee It Forward" idea is being promoted enough.
As far as the economy and cost of golf, this is very regional. Lots of courses around here can be played for less than $25 to walk or $40 to ride.

Back