The Official Driving Range Session Thread

I had an awesome warm-up range session yesterday. When I am getting ready for a round, I do this thing where I have to hit 6-iron through gap wedge perfectly 3 times in a row, and then move on to the next club. Yesterday, 6 clubs required a total of 18 balls! Perfect solid contact, high ball flight, and most importantly, on target. Unfortunately, my driver is still a mess, and I have a lesson coming up to work on just it, so I didn't score well, but I hit my irons good all day.

Last edited:
Lunch break

I focused on hitting the 5i today since I badly need iron work. I was able to hit it straight a few times but the distance was not there. A tip my buddy gave me was to set the ball up with the letters just on the back edge. Then focus on hitting the letters through the ball.
I did find that telling myself to "sweep" when hitting a 4w helped a lot, though going to 4w to my 3h I totally forgot to focus on the ball lettering till the last 5 balls were left. :dohanim:

Range session this evening, only hit 50 balls but I was very happy with how they went. Tried to work on my driver and making sure I kept my tempo and rhythm in check. When I got it right I was hitting it exactly where I wanted. If I sped up then I lost it to the right (which is my usual miss).

Using the mashie after a couple of bad shots helped to get the tempo back and the driver started playing ball again. Just need to remember to swing easy with it instead of trying to hammer it.

Hopefully be able to take the swing to the course next time to see how it performs.

Range session this evening, only hit 50 balls but I was very happy with how they went. Tried to work on my driver and making sure I kept my tempo and rhythm in check. When I got it right I was hitting it exactly where I wanted. If I sped up then I lost it to the right (which is my usual miss).

Using the mashie after a couple of bad shots helped to get the tempo back and the driver started playing ball again. Just need to remember to swing easy with it instead of trying to hammer it.

Hopefully be able to take the swing to the course next time to see how it performs.

original.png

Thanks Kevin, that's what i would have picked if selected. They don't ship to the UK though (although I have had a kind offer to get one shipped to me)

Thanks Kevin, that's what i would have picked if selected. They don't ship to the UK though (although I have had a kind offer to get one shipped to me)

Its a huge struggle for me too so its what I went with. If it works what a simple fix.

Liking my practice facility more and more each time. Grass is perfect, it has a bathroom and water fountain close by and they play classic rock constantly (which is all I listen to pretty much).

Hittin wedges to CCR is lovely. :guitar:

Its a huge struggle for me too so its what I went with. If it works what a simple fix.

!00% agree, be interesting to hear your thoughts

had a good session in the net tonight. i had started to hit fat shots. i was going to far back in my backswing and coming over the top. sorted it and the last 50 balls was sweet divot placing was nice and clean looking forward to going out this week

Liking my practice facility more and more each time. Grass is perfect, it has a bathroom and water fountain close by and they play classic rock constantly (which is all I listen to pretty much).

Hitting wedges to CCR is lovely. :guitar:

Looking good Marc! Keep up the great work buddy and looking forward to seeing some of those Vegas courses next time out :golf2:

Looking good Marc! Keep up the great work buddy and looking forward to seeing some of those Vegas courses next time out :golf2:

Thanks OG. Look forward to it as well, and I'll go ahead and warn the courses that Ole Gray is coming!

I stopped by Herman's (the pro I have been working with) last night on my way home and decided to hit a bucket to work on my driver, but before I went out I scheduled a lesson with the kid in there to get with Herman next Wednesday. Anyone that has played a round with me since right before the outing knows that I had completely lost my swing with the driver, and while the irons were so much better I was being forced to hit 5 and 6 iron into greens that should have been wedges. Back on track, I go out and hit a few irons to loosen up a little, and then pull out the driver. Same thing. Big banana with no distance. So I try a couple of things, and nothing. Right next to me is this monster hitting 3-irons into the net at the back of the range (just over 300 yards), which is really making it worse as my driver is only going about 200 right now. I keep at it, and all of a sudden...BOOM!!! I crushed one dead straight, and best of all, I thought I knew what adjustment I had just made. I tee up another one and...BOOM!!! I was right. I hit 20 more balls, and 17 were just crushed, and the ones that weren't I immediately knew what I did differently. I start to pack up my bag, and the guy next to me is just starting to giggle. I look at him and ask what's so funny? He replies, nothing, it just looks like someone figured something out on those last 20 balls. All I could do was grin. As I am leaving, you have to walk back through the building, the kid inside says "so, how'd you hit 'em tonight?" I looked at him and said "let me put it like this...take me off Herman's schedule, I think I just figured it out!" Can't wait to try and take this to the course this weekend!

Went to the range today and worked on not using my gorilla grip. It felt great and I think I was swinging with less aggressiveness which helped the consistency. Woohoo

The bad of this session was that my 2h didn't hit further than my 3h. I'm thinking it's the shaft because there is a 2* difference and I should get another 10-15 yds, no? Just sucks that they weren't the exact models so I can be 100% sure it was the club and not me.

man I havent been to the range in what seems like forever....need to get back out there for sure ASAP!

Range session / lesson last night.

My swing had left me over the past couple of weeks and I couldn't fix it myself so I decided it was time to seek professional help. Started with some wedge shots and about three balls Joe (the pro) saw what I was doing wrong. Turns out my backswing has progressively gotten flatter and that I've been laying the club off too much at the top. The position the club is in half way back feels very vertical to me but it turns out that it's on plane, club head now stays outside my hands a bit more as well. Also significantly reduced my grip pressure. It took 20 minutes for me to really get it but I hit my 7 iron further than I ever have in my entire life, carrying 165 - 170. Hoping to groove it for real with a range session this week.

Just returned from one of the better range sessions of my golfing life. I have recently strayed from using the TM speed sleeve to warm up with, but got back to that today. Took about a dozen practice swings with it, then another 5 or so hitting balls with it on my wedge and then got into hitting. Man, what a difference! Nice, crisp contact from the start, with good direction and great distance.

Today I went through a pattern of 3 shots per club before moving on to other clubs and targets. It kept the session interesting and effective. Maybe its my swing, the nice weather, all the reps, but I'm getting the most distance out of my TM MCs since I've had them. I was especially happy today with my 5 and 6 irons. Hitting them so pure, straight and long. Was putting the 6 iron out there consistently 200 carry today, the 5 iron about 210 to 215. For the first time ever, I didn't hit a single stinker with the 5 or 6 iron on the range.

THe mashies were acting mashie as usual... long and straight. Even the driver was fairly consistent, with a few bombs mixed in.

Overall, couldn't be happier with how I'm hitting everything right now. To go a whole range session and hit probably 4 bad shots is a new experience for me. Can't wait to hit the course tomorrow afternoon and see if this work translates!

you hit your 6i - 200yds?

(insert I'm not worthy emoticon)

That's sick!

Just returned from one of the better range sessions of my golfing life. I have recently strayed from using the TM speed sleeve to warm up with, but got back to that today. Took about a dozen practice swings with it, then another 5 or so hitting balls with it on my wedge and then got into hitting. Man, what a difference! Nice, crisp contact from the start, with good direction and great distance.

Today I went through a pattern of 3 shots per club before moving on to other clubs and targets. It kept the session interesting and effective. Maybe its my swing, the nice weather, all the reps, but I'm getting the most distance out of my TM MCs since I've had them. I was especially happy today with my 5 and 6 irons. Hitting them so pure, straight and long. Was putting the 6 iron out there consistently 200 carry today, the 5 iron about 210 to 215. For the first time ever, I didn't hit a single stinker with the 5 or 6 iron on the range.

THe mashies were acting mashie as usual... long and straight. Even the driver was fairly consistent, with a few bombs mixed in.

Overall, couldn't be happier with how I'm hitting everything right now. To go a whole range session and hit probably 4 bad shots is a new experience for me. Can't wait to hit the course tomorrow afternoon and see if this work translates!

glad to hear it went well, doesnt sound like you could have asked for a better session

Well that was a fail of a range session.
I hit 100 balls since I hadn't picked up a club in 2 weeks... huge mistake.
It was just messy... My wedges and 7 iron were beautiful as usual, but the rest... well yeah. I should just get rid of them.
The range was busy so I got a rather awful mat. The far end of it was droopy so when I'd hit my driver, I'd basically fall off the back of the mat and not really help anything.

Not to mention I now need a blood transfusion from all the blood loss due to mosquito bites.

Just had one of my better if not best range session of this season or dare I say it, career.

And the funny thing is, it started out as the worst. Out of 20 balls, I hit maybe 3 good half swing wedge shots. Was getting frustrated. One of the assistant pros for the shop I work for was there just waiting to do a lesson and help with juniors and watched me. That made me even more nervous, but he gave me some tips. Took a break and went to chip a few at the green to get everything on a slower path. That seemed to work.

Came back and started it right back where it was - crap. But then something clicked, hit some damn good shots with my 54 - 3/4 swings. Then I realized something, I noticed my feet haven't been properly dispersed with weight and finally fixed that - not sure why it took this long. But I got in a more athletic stance, balanced my feet better, squared my shoulders and was hitting nice balls.

Still hit some fat ones here and there, but the number of those versus the number of crisp, piercing ones were minimal.

Got to my 3H and thought, 'OK, this is it. If I can hit this then I'm excited'.
Sure enough, first one; ;Tiiiiiing. Piercing through the sky and dropping around 250. I couldn't believe it. Like a dream come true. Ball flight, mimicked my friends' who are dangerously good on a golf course. Hit six or so of those - one low/thin one, but the rest were right on path. Finished off with some wedge shots and went home. Gave the rest of my range balls to a father and his kids.

Going to play 9 or 18 today after a quick range session and see if it transfers to the course.

I'm excited.

I got a little frustrated last night. I couldn't hit my 7iron worth a crap, kept top top top topping. I switched over to my 6iron and got the ball a little bit more in front at address and started cranking a few. I saw a drill on youtube where you put a tee (or whatever little piece of whatever) a few inches in front of the ball and try to sweep it away. It worked pretty well on helping me take that forward divot and hit down on the ball. I was in the 200ish range with my 6i when I made flush contact (maybe 4 times). Went back to my 7iron, just couldn't do it. I left frustrated especially cause I sat at work all day trying to visualize how I would improve that evening. I guess a little incremental improvement was better than none, but still, I was ticked for some reason. I'll head back out tomorrow night and hopefully can get tiny bit better again, thats all you can ask for right?

Last two days me and the girlfriend was at the range. She's taking up golfing so she needs to practice her swing and i've tried to straighten out a terrible slice that i've had some time now.

I experimented a bit and yesterday it finally got better. The funny part is that the only thing in my swing i changed was my right hand thumb position a bit more left in my grip and suddenly the balls go much much straighter. So i guess i at some time changed the hand positions without thinking about it and didnt get a proper grip on the shafts of my clubs. So tomorrow morning when me and a friend go out to the course i hope (knock on wood) i hope it will go better and i will be back to my sub 90 rounds.

Some may remember that I sort of hate the range. Today, I went to the range at the Arsenal Golf Club after work. It's nothing special, but it has a few things I like. Anyway, I really just had the best range session ever. Some bad shots of course, but I really hit the ball good today. I really feel like my swing is finally getting good (enough not to suck).

Best part is that the pro told me how to get to the secret short game area in my Jeep :) It's actually in between holes 4 and 5 and has a fairway that is about 130-150 yards long with a green and a bunker. It's maintained like the course, so you can really practice hitting off of tight lies. It was so freaking fun that I want to get in my Jeep and go back right now. Yay. Also, it took me 7 minutes from the time I walked out of work until I parked. Yay again.

I spent about an hour on the range and about 30 mins on the putting green tonight. I am working on connecting my hands via the Vardon/interlock as opposed to the 10 finger grip I have used for my entire golf career, and it seems like the interlock will be the winner.

Had a really promising session with my 54/50/pw/9/8 iron. Not as great with the 7-4, but I am hoping my session tomorrow irons that out. I also spent some time trying to reduce the draw I put on my hybrid which I felt was pretty successful. Finally, spent some time on my driver looking for a consistent draw.

The first 20 minutes of my putting practice I spent time from a bunch of different locations and putting types. I spent the final 10 minutes on a minimal break, slightly uphill spot to try and get some oomph into my stroke.

Overall I thought the session went really well.

Back