I love my 3i and 4i. I know hybrids or long irons just depend on the player, but being 220 out with a tight green calls my 3i and being 205 to 208 out calls my 4i. I'm typically somewhere in this area if I hit a drive on the screw on a par 5 so they are very important clubs to me. If I were you... I'd play a few rounds and just mark down how often you use it. If you use it 0 to 1 times per round, your likely better off replacing it.

Nay but considering it recently

I have the 4i and the 4h in my bag, because I really don't know the distance gaps between the two. I can always hit the iron well, and just recently started hitting the hybrid well, again. I keep saying I should just keep the hybrid in the bag, but I have more confidence in the iron.

No 3i, just a 3H.

Absolutely. I love my 4 iron.

Yay, I am really missing mine right now. I need it for some par 3's around here as well as some reachable par 5's.

I use my 4i all the time to get out of the trees I also can work it left or right pretty easy while keeping it low

I find in most cases I would rather hit a 4i than a hybrid. Especially on longer par threes. A bad long iron shot can be a real clunker, but a well struck rising long iron bullet is a thing of beauty. I gave up on a 3i long ago, and while I've dropped a 4i for periods of time, I'm more comfortable with it in my bag. I seem to know how far a 4i will go, but sometimes a hybrid goes forever. Usually at the worst time.

Maybe that leads to the question, is a 4i a long iron? Or is a mid-iron called a long iron because now we have hybrids?

I hit half a bucket of 4 irons at the range today, and they were feeling pretty damn good.

Kevin

I would say a 4 iron has always been a long iron, and still is today. I would say that in the old days, 1-4 long irons, 5,6,7 mid irons, and the rest short irons and wedges. Today I would say a 4 iron is the only long iron still in play today, the rest having been replaced by hybrids, and for most, irons start at the 5 iron.

Yep. But my irons are HB3's. A regular set, probably not.

Love my 4i. Use it off the tee all the time. Also find myself using a lot on second shots on par 5's.

This is also a hit or miss for me. Sometimes I really love having a 4 iron in my bag. But as of late, I don't like it one bit. Looking for a hybrid to replace it.

Yes for me. Although I can't seem to hit any of my irons lately though. Although when struck solidly, the 4 iron gives me a perfect distance gap between 3h and 5 iron.

I use my 4I off some tee boxes, and definitely on some of the longer holes. I can't imagine replacing it with a Hybrid. I can work it both ways a bit and I feel comfortable with it in the rough as well.

It's still a long iron.

I carry one now, but I am going to go to a hybrid. I'm just not consistent enough with it. It's my new 3 iron as far as consistency is concerned. I just find it easier to play a hybrid from the rough as well.

Big supporter of the 4I. It's my ol' trusty in my bag, probably my most used iron. I use it off the tee and 2nd shots on par 5's when my woods aren't cooperating...which is usually the case.

Do I carry one? Yes. Am I terrified of it? Yes, to the point where I'll choke down on my 2h instead of pulling it out of the bag. In fact, it may be molded to the bag. I'd never know!

Hadn't gamed a 4 iron in years. R the TMPL trip I started striking the ball much better. I pulled my hybrids and put 4-pw in.

Started on the range and was hitting em well. Not super consistent I find it harder to close the face. Scatter em right and left. But great distance. Hitting it solid centerface.

Only hit it off tee once- par3 210. I hit it well. Not high- flew to front of green maybe 195. Good ballflight just a little short.

I'm torn though. I hit the 4 hybrid higher today. I like irons out of rough.

Hybrids off a tee.

Tough decision.

Yay, love my 4 iron. Recently all my long clubs have been great, but the scoring clubs have been off.

Got rid of mine for a 4 hybrid. I hit it much better and still get a nice high ball flight and a soft landing

Yep to the 4I and the 3I in my bag - haven't got any hybrids... They are so easy to hit that I've been using my 3I to drive while my driving has been off, only about 15 yds shorter than a good driver strike for me.

Interesting aside though - I found my first ever golf club the other day, 20 year old, a Pinseeker 1 Iron. It's the same length as my Cobra SZ 3 iron, and about the same loft. Heavier though, but thats the shaft I think... Maybe thats why people find 3 and 4 irons harder to hit today, because they are actually 1 and 2 irons!

Yes, I use mine quite a lot on some courses.

Yes, my 4 iron is one of my favourite clubs. Drilled it 260 up hill with wind behind straight through the green on a par 4 the other day. Amazing club.

It took me a long time to love my 5 iron. Maybe now when I put a 4i in the bag, I'll have the confidence to make a good swing.

Back