Approached by the Golf Genie - driver distance and accuracy

Approached by the Golf Genie - driver distance and accuracy

• Option A - 220 yards long, 100% FIR

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • Option B - 270 yards long, 40% FIR

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Option C - 320 yards long, 5% FIR

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I'm happy with what I have, get lost genie.

Votes: 16 21.1%

• Total voters
I would chose option A, that is about where I am now in distance on good swings and 100% would be awesome in FWs hit.

I'd pick C and never hit driver! With the power to hit 320, I'd just hit 3 fairway all day for around 290 yards!

I picked A all day. A lot of courses I play have pretty penal rough, I'd rather be at 220 and in the fairway than hacking out from behind trees or taking a drop because my ball is long gone.

I'll take A and move up a tee. Talk about fun golf, that would be fun golf.

Between A and B. Can get frustrating as hell being at 220 all the time and watching guys bomb it by you every single day. For the 30 yards, Id consider giving up the accuracy.

If I could maintain my current distance with all of my other clubs I would probably go with a). Most par 4s I play are around 400 or less, so worse case scenario I'm hitting 6 iron out of the fairway, with many if then being 380 or less that means I'm hitting the clubs I'm comfortable with.

If thr rest of my clubs matched up with the 220 driver distance then I would probably take b) which is about the same accuracy I have now with a little more distance.

I'm close to B right now (just not in florida :alien:) I think I would keep it at that if I could increase accuracy to 60-70 percent that would be ideal

I would only pick A if I would hit my target 100% of the time not just the fairway.

Using Tapatalk

I the genie locks me in to one of the options, get lost. Big part of the addiction is the chance to improve.

That's a really good comment/question.

For me, A is pretty close to 3H (I'm probably 210 without pushing it and pretty accurate) and I'm getting a 2H to see if that pushes out to 225 or so. If that works, that will be my go to for hitting to a tight fairway and shortish Par 4's.

B is a little longer than my 3W (probably 250) but my FIR is probably higher.

C is a longer than my driver but reliability, while not that low is too low (maybe 20% FIR and too many mishits).

I'd send genie packing because I get get most of what is on offer through club selection.
If you have access to a launch monitor, you should try hitting maybe 10 regular driver shots, then 10 more choked down to the bottom of the grip. I'd be curious what difference you see in accuracy and distance doing that. I know for me I give up a few yards but hit a *lot* straighter. I always hit that way on the course, and am considering just chopping 3 inches off my driver shaft so I don't have to keep messing with a tiny grip.

So let's say that a golf genie approached you and said he was going to give you three options and you could select one of them. Which one would you choose:

A. Your driver would average 220 yards long, and you'd hit the fairway 100% of the time.
B. Your driver would average 270 yards long, and you'd hit the fairway 40% of the time.
C. Your driver would average 320 yards long, and you'd hit the fairway 5% of the time.

Which one would you select?

From the above, I would choose B.

Can we tweak things a bit?

A. Your driver would average 220 yards long, and you'd hit the fairway 100% of the time.
B. Your driver would average 270 yards long, and you'd hit the fairway 40% of the time, with 80% chance of having a playable second shot, 5% chance of penalty.
C. Your driver would average 320 yards long, and you'd hit the fairway 5% of the time, with 70% chance of having a playable second shot, 25% chance of penalty.

In this context, "playable" would be a ball that has a reasonable chance of being advanced toward the green, but not necessarily a clean look at it (might have to go over/under/around a tree for instance).

Given this I would still probably choose B.

Id take B as I think the probability of me being able to hit a green would increase being 50 yards closer even if im not in the fairway all the time.

and it opens up hitting other clubs off the tee

You guys that have answered A, do you drive with a 3W, Mini Driver, or 3Deep? Have you cut your driver's shaft length down? If not, why not?

Good question!

I've done the mini driver thing from time to time and the score has definitely been lower. The last time is when I really wanted to ensure that I beat my father-in-law in late summer and did two rounds over two days with the LT2W. I think I hit like 85% fairways over those two rounds and won them both because I didn't beat myself.

I'm going to make another pass at that for a few rounds this season. If the score is consistently lower, then maybe I will just pull the driver except for scrambles.

The only real problem is that I don't get 220 out of the mini drivers. I get about 200-210. Yes, I'm a short knocker. It stresses the FWs and hybrids, particularly on longer courses.

If you have access to a launch monitor, you should try hitting maybe 10 regular driver shots, then 10 more choked down to the bottom of the grip. I'd be curious what difference you see in accuracy and distance doing that. I know for me I give up a few yards but hit a *lot* straighter. I always hit that way on the course, and am considering just chopping 3 inches off my driver shaft so I don't have to keep messing with a tiny grip.

I'll have to try that when I am done recuperating (just tore my left calf muscle yesterday chasing after my camera in a cab in Istanbul. So my present sticks aren't clubs but walkers :bad: Probably have 4+ weeks of recuperation before I can swing a club again - sucks. BTW - was able to get in touch with the cab and get the camera returned - just wished I hadn't raced after it now - getting older, can't just sprint off like when I was younger)

220 would give me an extra 20 to 40 yds., would love it!

I went B. The game is easier from closer regardless if in rough or fairway.

I think that depends on how well the rough is kept. I've played in some rough where that is true. There are some easier courses in Ohio that I have played where the first cut is like a very nice FW lie, and the second cut is like the first cut at most places. The grass in the summer between the black soil and the mild climate is just to die for. There I'd agree with you.

I've also played on some courses where the first cut is 2 inch bermuda and the second cut is so high you're lucky to find it. You have to have high swing speed and a steep vertical plane to get out of that mess, neither of which I really have. Give me 40 yards back in the fairway any day.

I've also played on a number of lower end courses where the fairway is maintained but the rough is really that -- rough. The rough isn't maintained, so it becomes like hitting out of the patchy fescue in my yard. You might have the ball set up nicely, but you're more likely to have it fall down in between patches. Good luck hitting anything reliably out of that.

Yeah but it's really hard from the lake.

A bunch of holes around here, spraying your driver means you're hitting 3, 5, 7, etc. off the tee.

I'm as long or longer than B now but a bit more accurate so I'd chose keep my own game but if we could go 320 with 30-40% accuracy, I'd hammer that one in a second!

Back