How to keep from overthinking...

bhilton

Reaction score
Handicap
I had a tournament this past weekend. It was a two day tournament. The first day I went out and shot a 78 and was at the top of my flight going into day 2. I thought I had a really good chance to win this tournament. I then went out on Sunday only to shoot a 87 and knock myself clear out of it. I'm pretty sure it's all from just thinking about it too much. I went out Monday after the tournament and played another 9 holes and shot a 38. I just wish I would have done that on Sunday when it actually counted. Does anyone have any tips on how to stop thinking too much during a tournament round. I've had some issues with this several times lately, and it's really starting to tick me off.

I have similar issues when a good round is going and you are approaching the end. Few bits of possible advice:

- One shot at a time
- Don't add scores up until you are done (although hard for a low capper to not already know where they stand)
- Think about something other than golf between shots....especially after a bad hole or shot

the one thing i think will help with this situation is to keep playing!
i think the more you put yourself in pressure situations, the better you will end up performing.

practice helps as well. lots of practice and range work. but i think with golf, you can practice all you want and there are still days where you are going to go out and just not shoot good. golf is a very frustrating game...

just don't get down on yourself.

I never had this problem until just recently. I won my flight in my club championship earlier in the summer and several other tournament I've played in. Usually if I have a good round going, I don't die off in the end. I can still keep hitting well if it's just one round. My issue seems to be on multi-day tournaments when I have to go out and try to finish the last day. I just completely screw up the last round. I'm starting to feel like Dustin Johnson a little.

Like someone said play one shot at a time and play within your own game. The biggest thing you must have is a pre-shot routine and stay with it on EVERY shot. Best of luck.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

There is a reason why the pros play four day tournaments. Pre-shot routine and tempo consistency are what I am working on to be more consistent under pressure. That and controlled breathing.

There is a reason why the pros play four day tournaments. Pre-shot routine and tempo consistency are what I am working on to be more consistent under pressure. That and controlled breathing.

All very important. Work in them and you'll be better

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

What are you thinking about?

Kevin

Sounds to me like you just play too slow. Speed up and I doubt you'll even have that much time to think.

Do what they tell you to do when giving a speech to a large audience: Picture everybody naked.

What are you thinking about?

Kevin

This past weekend, I went into the second round thinking I had to go low. That was about the only thought that I had going into the round and I couldn't get it out of my head. I made par on the first hole, then on the second, I put my tee shot in the hazard. I immediately started thinking how I was going to make up that stroke that I just lost. That's the way the whole round went until I finally just gave up and was trying to get the round over with. Instead of just going out and playing, I start thinking about how I'm going to shoot a low score instead of just going out and playing golf.

Sounds to me like you just play too slow. Speed up and I doubt you'll even have that much time to think.

I am by no means a slow player. I don't even take any practice swings. I just picture the shot I want to hit and pull the trigger. However, in a tournament, I am only as fast as the group I'm playing in and Sunday I did have one guy that was taking forever on every shot.

I never said you were a slow player. I said you play to slow.... for your own good.

Bring a gameboy or something. Swing, then play until it's your turn next. Or read books between shots. Distract yourself, because you're so into it that it's hurting you.

Watch movie on your iPhone?

Hilty- it's all about managing your expectations. Every time I shoot a good round, my next round is usually in the dumper. Why, because I expect that if one round is good, then the next one will be equally as good or better. Unfortunately, golf doesn't work that way. If you go out not expecting too much from yourself, then you are giving yourself a better chance to have one. JMO

I find that your initial instinct is usually correct. Dont spend too much time double guessing your clubs or the line just be confident that you made the right choice. Picture the line of the shot that you want to take, really focus on the line and set yourself up to hit that shot. Take your normal routine and let it rip. You might miss the shot but you just need to regroup, and take the next shot.

I don't know about anyone else but when I'm out on the course I try to think as little as possible. I pick a club, line up and hit it. I mostly just let the bad shots roll off and focus on the good ones. Other than that I just try to enjoy being on the course and the weather. I've found if I focus too much thought on my game I mind as well just pack it in for the day because the round is going to be a disaster.

I'm pretty sure it's all from just thinking about it too much.

Yes. You either need to
a) find ways to distract you during the round, to take your mind off golf and what you "have to do". Thinking about "having to do" something is bad, because it equals pressure. It should be more "I will do" or "I can", not "have to".
b) find ways to keep your mind more focused. Committing to your shots, focusing on just the next shot, trying to hit it as well as you can and then do the same with the one after that...even if you duck-hooked it out of bounds.

Back