Callaway Tour balls - Tileist equivalents?

AndrewG

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm loving the Prov1x's I'm playing currently, but due to the release of the newer Callaway tour balls, I'm seeing a lot of good deals on the Callaway Tour i(s) and i(z) balls. Is there a correlation between the ProV1/ProV1x and Tour i(s) and i(z)? I wouldn't mind trying out something new this early in the season, esp if its as good a ball, but 40% cheaper !!

I'm looking for reduced spin on the driver/longer irons, with two bounce/check up performance that the v1x gives me on the green. The descriptions for the 2 Calaway balls pretty much say the same!

Callaway Hex Tour Black from the newer line.
Callaway Tour iz from the previous line.

Callaway i(z) sounds like what you are looking for from the previous line. Both the i(z) and i(s) were good balls. The i(s) providing more spin around the greens.

Check the review on the new Bridgestone B330 RXs and B330 RS. Awesome ball!

thanks - I'll bear them in mind, but haven't had a lot of luck with the e5/e6's I've used previously, but I've not tried the B330 range yet. Its still 25% more than these discounted Callaways though, so I think I'll give them a go first.

Will take a punt on a dozen i(z)'s I think... If they don't work out - I'll be ready for a new dozen of something else by the time the season starts properly!! :)

Yeah, you want the i(z).

Personally, I think Bridgestone and Srixon make better balls but to each their own. The i(z) certainly isn't bad, but in my own mini-test they did not perform as well...mostly due to greenside performance.

Not sure about the 2012 Callaways but the previous i(z)'s and the i(s)'s are some of the highest compression balls made. Takes a pretty good swing to compress them. If I remember correctly, they are both higher than the PRO VI x which is a very high compression ball.

I(Z) is a magic ball!

Yeah that Tour i(z) is really nice. I found one and played 2 rounds with it and there wasn't much wear on the ball, plus it performed great and flew a mile.

Yeah that Tour i(z) is really nice. I found one and played 2 rounds with it and there wasn't much wear on the ball, plus it performed great and flew a mile.

I agree, I also used it some last season and it is a great overall performer.

Just to get some thread closure, I used this on the weekend. It was a cold morning, but distance was very good - it gives a nice 'smack' off the clubface. Survived the whole round well with barely a scuff, even though I achieved some terrific spin from full shots. I didn't get as much short chip check as I've seen with the Prov1x, but that might very well have been technique rather than ball for this round! I think I'll continue with them in the short term for a proper evaluation.

Back