Driver forgiveness?

Even still. If I went from a regular to a stiff flex in the same shaft, I bet my launch angle and back spin could change a bit. Not just lateral dispersion.

I would think it would fly lower, with a flatter angle of decent. As for back spin, not sure on that.

I would think it would fly lower, with a flatter angle of decent. As for back spin, not sure on that.

But that's my point. Shaft flex changes more than just side spin.

Even still. If I went from a regular to a stiff flex in the same shaft, I bet my launch angle and back spin could change a bit. Not just lateral dispersion.
Are you sure it's not you changing your swing or tempo to compensate for a stiffer flex? I guess go back and see how well you hit the R flex and if you're hitting it straight. My guess is that you'd probably have to slow your tempo. As you go up in flex the stiffness across the profile increases giving you a little more control to make it more accurate. Going up too much in flex, you'll lose distance for not properly loading the club.

Are you sure it's not you changing your swing or tempo to compensate for a stiffer flex? I guess go back and see how well you hit the R flex and if you're hitting it straight. My guess is that you'd probably have to slow your tempo. As you go up in flex the stiffness across the profile increases giving you a little more control to make it more accurate. Going up too much in flex, you'll lose distance for not properly loading the club.

I know what you're saying. But those differing flexes even with identical swings, would deliver the club head at a different angle. An that angle could affect a lot of conditions. At least to my understanding.

If your ball falls out of the sky with no forward roll, it very well could be a spin problem more than loft (although they are linked). They could explain why you seem to be favoring a lower loft (not sure how low) at your swingspeed. In the end, all the components are linked however. Now I'm going to watch the shaft fight :)

I know for me I do hit stiffer flex straighter. What I have noticed for me is a ball that may not be flighted too high for my swing speed but if it falls out of the air with no forward roll then I think I hit the ball too high. For me I seem to get a better result from a shorter shaft with a heavier stiffer shaft and maybe a lower loft. Does that make any sense for someone with a 88-92 mph driver swing speed?

Please enlighten me as to which of these factors has the most influence on what part of ball flight i.e. someone said loft has more influence on side spin. Would shaft flex have more influence on roll out and maybe shaft weight have more influence on keeping the swing on plane thus better ball striking and lehgth of shaft would also have influence on ball striking?

I know what you're saying. But those differing flexes even with identical swings, would deliver the club head at a different angle. An that angle could affect a lot of conditions. At least to my understanding.
I'm not disagreeing and I've said it will effect other characteristics but flex provides more control. How much difference are you expecting by going up or down in flex on launch? It's going to be fractions of a degree. Nothing noticeable.

I'm not disagreeing and I've said it will effect other characteristics but flex provides more control. How much difference are you expecting by going up or down in flex on launch? It's going to be fractions of a degree. Nothing noticeable.

I would expect the difference to be more noticeable I guess.

Obviously all of them, but I'd say the shaft length and flex are the most.

There are so many variables which is why I find shaft discussions to often provide little assistance to people. You are right if you have an Iron Byron and two shafts that are a true flex apart - there should be some change in the launch and spin - but it very well may be so insignificant as to not be much help in fitting depending on the design concepts of the shafts.

Here's where the real fun starts - and why there are so many people on this board are seeking insight about shafts. There is no correct predictor for how a shaft will perform in an individual's hands. Let's take the C-Taper, acclaimed for its stiff tip and ability to cut spin. Certainly when you look at the numbers you would expect such a result. But I will tell you that I have several people get more spin from that shaft. Why? Somehow that stiff tip forces a change in the swing. Maybe the feel is too stiff tip and they feel the need to use the hands more?

Not sure if this helps the discussion or further muddies the waters.

I would expect the difference to be more noticeable I guess.

There are so many variables which is why I find shaft discussions to often provide little assistance to people. You are right if you have an Iron Byron and two shafts that are a true flex apart - there should be some change in the launch and spin - but it very well may be so insignificant as to not be much help in fitting depending on the design concepts of the shafts.

Here's where the real fun starts - and why there are so many people on this board are seeking insight about shafts. There is no correct predictor for how a shaft will perform in an individual's hands. Let's take the C-Taper, acclaimed for its stiff tip and ability to cut spin. Certainly when you look at the numbers you would expect such a result. But I will tell you that I have several people get more spin from that shaft. Why? Somehow that stiff tip forces a change in the swing. Maybe the feel is too stiff tip and they feel the need to use the hands more?

Not sure if this helps the discussion or further muddies the waters.

But that is kind of my point. We are not machines. I have never played with or against an Iron Byron.

One reason I feel like the larger headed driver doesn't give me as much of an advantage over smaller headed (180cc or so) is the tee height. The smaller headed club can be teed lower (which is how I tee it) and I think this has an affect on spin and ball flight. I guess for me I feel tee height adds another factor which is magnified with the larger headed driver versus the smaller headed club which is easier to consistently tee a similar height. It could be that I swing down on my tee ball swing and this is what causes me to theorize this. Would like to know what anyone else thinks.

One reason I feel like the larger headed driver doesn't give me as much of an advantage over smaller headed (180cc or so) is the tee height. The smaller headed club can be teed lower (which is how I tee it) and I think this has an affect on spin and ball flight. I guess for me I feel tee height adds another factor which is magnified with the larger headed driver versus the smaller headed club which is easier to consistently tee a similar height. It could be that I swing down on my tee ball swing and this is what causes me to theorize this. Would like to know what anyone else thinks.

Not saying you're wrong. But that is the first time I have ever heard this.

But there tees out there now that can give you consistent heights.

What factors do you think play more of a role in the forgiveness of a Driver: 1) loft 2) shaft length 3) shaft flex 4) shaft weight?
I am interested to see what people think and especially what the fitters think.

1) Length
2) Loft
3 and 4 don't play a significant role in forgiveness.

Not really saying that consistenent tee height is as much of the problem as being able to tee it very low with a smaller headed club and hit down on the ball which gives me better results, at least as ball flight is concerned. I do hit the driver longer in wet conditions but also can be off line more as well. Does that make any sense blugold.

Two questions:

Do you know your wrist to floor measurement?

When you say a better ballflight, what do you mean? Flatter or higher or?

Not really saying that consistenent tee height is as much of the problem as being able to tee it very low with a smaller headed club and hit down on the ball which gives me better results, at least as ball flight is concerned. I do hit the driver longer in wet conditions but also can be off line more as well. Does that make any sense blugold.

Not exactly sure on wrist to floor measurement but I did measure one time and used Tom Wishon's book "The Search for the Perfect Club" which had a chart in it and it said I should have or start with a 44.5" driver and a 38.5" 5-iron if I remember correctly (I am sure about the driver measurement) if that helps any.

Flatter ball flight, and I see this with my two strong 3-woods.

Usually based on what you are reporting, I would expect you to have a pretty negative angle of attack which can cause driver issues but you can get away with it on the fairways because of the shorter length and higher loft. Can you hit the 3 woods well off the deck?

Not exactly sure on wrist to floor measurement but I did measure one time and used Tom Wishon's book "The Search for the Perfect Club" which had a chart in it and it said I should have or start with a 44.5" driver and a 38.5" 5-iron if I remember correctly (I am sure about the driver measurement) if that helps any.

Flatter ball flight, and I see this with my two strong 3-woods.

The course I play the most has tight lies in the fairway and in the winter on dormant Bermuda not so much. I prefer the lower lofted hybrids for the fairway but I can hit the fairway woods if I don't have a forced carry.

I have been told I have a very flat swing and a very short backswing. The wrist to floor is 36". I seem to have better ball striking if I get my hands low and I think the reason for this is the club stays outside my hands as least on the backswing. My miss is a hook or less often a block.

Last edited:
1) Length
2) Loft
3 and 4 don't play a significant role in forgiveness.

So would a "Thriver" with a 3 wood loft like 14* and a shorter shaft length of say 44" help the average golfer with a slower swing speed of 85-88 have more forgiveness and hit more fairways ?

I would think a 14* fairway wood with a 44" shaft would help someone with a 85-88 swing speed, but really other factors could make this not true.

There's a lot being thrown around in here, but I'll add my 2 cents.
When it comes to driver forgiveness, it's all about the head IMO. Shaft flex will change ball flight (vertically) and back/side spin but won't have an effect on dispersion in and of itself. Certain heads can minimize the side spin put on the ball with a lousy swing, certain heads will minimize distance loss when hit off center, and some do a mix of both.
When I hit my Razr Fit out on the toe the result is a baby draw that starts right and slowly comes back into play but if I do the same thing with my Launcher Comp that ball is going going gone. When I hit a Cleveland Classic high on the face I find I don't lose much distance at all, but when I hit a Titleist 910 high on the face I see a pop fly with noticeable loss of yardage.
I am not convinced that more loft = more forgiveness although I know that many members of THP have had success going this route...I have not. I do however think that a shorter driver shaft will help many a golfer with their driving accuracy, but that doesn't necessarily make the club itself more forgiving. Mis-hits will still react the same way, but a shorter shaft reduces the golfers ability to mis-hit the ball. Sorry if this doesn't read fluently.

Back