TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

Really want to compare these to the Altitudes. Not a TM fan, but that's moreso their really irritating and gimmicky marketing, not the clubs.

Anybody who is more of a digger been able to compare? I keep hearing lots about the great forgiveness low on the face.. but I don't really need that.

Really want to compare these to the Altitudes. Not a TM fan, but that's moreso their really irritating and gimmicky marketing, not the clubs.

Anybody who is more of a digger been able to compare? I keep hearing lots about the great forgiveness low on the face.. but I don't really need that.
Two completely different irons and feels. The Speedblades are an excellent offering by TM. Good looking and performing club. Yes they are forgiving on thin less than solid strikes. Still getting some great launch from those shots. On the screws the ball feels like nothing coming off the face.

I was fitted and order a set of speedblades on Saturday. I can't wait for them to come in. Reading the reviews in this thread really helped onaking the decision to get these irons.

There were a few shots that really stood out. One was a 7 iron out the bermuda rough. The ball was setting up a bit so I was able to get a good swing on the ball and it was probably the best 7 irons I have ever had out of the rough. It probably went about 150 yards with a nice toll out. That is long for me with a 7 iron from the rough. Heck, it is long for a 7 iron from the middle of the fariway. Another shot that really stood out was a pitching wedge that I had from about 115 yards to the front of the green on #14. With my previous clubs that would have been a 9 iron, but the shot was from the fairway and I felt like if it didn't make the green it would be straight forward chip. I hit if flush and it landed on the front of the green and only rolled out approx. 8 feet. The green were really receptive, but with that said I ALWAYS have trouble stopping the ball on the green and this one checked up nicely. It still left me about 20 feet below the cup for my bridie putt (which I made for a change).

There has been a lot of discussion about that 4 iron as well. I can not add to that discussion as I can not hit the club to save my life. I actually left it at home this trip as I struggled with it so much the last few times I have swung. It is not the club though. It is me. I have always have struggled with long irons. I am going to hit the range with it and keep trying to fiqure out how to make good contact with it as I know that the club will perform when swung by someone that knows how to do so.

I was J_H's cartner and that 7 iron mentioned above really was pretty sweet. I thought he hit at least a six and maybe an easy five.
And the approach and subsequent birdie he made was really nice. He was landing balls all day that checked up nice instead of rolling out.
Based on my observations from past rounds with him and his old irons, these are a major step up!

I hit the 5 iron on the range and found it very solid, long, and forgiving. I also hit a couple random irons out on the course and found them quite nice.
I hit an 8 iron shot just to compare it to my Amp Cell distance and it was spot on. If you've not read any of the posts over there, these Cell's are kind of being known for the length.
And if you just told me to step up to one of these irons, I'd swear they were 2.0's with that topline and appearance. These are the only irons I'd consider from TM since the R11s.

No problem - 80/82 with the 6 iron

Good to know, were your G25's fitted or off the rack?

I know the G25 was about 2 clubs longer than my burner plus irons and probably a club longer than my ci11's. I'm not sure I could imagine hitting these longer by a club and a half than I do now, just seems crazy.

Good to know, were your G25's fitted or off the rack?

I know the G25 was about 2 clubs longer than my burner plus irons and probably a club longer than my ci11's. I'm not sure I could imagine hitting these longer by a club and a half than I do now, just seems crazy.

They were fitted - + 1/2 length - yellow dot and went with AWT in Stiff versus the CFS.

OK I've seen enough of what these irons can do firsthand now. I want them.

Nice ddec. Thinking of going stock shafts?

OK I've seen enough of what these irons can do firsthand now. I want them.

They would look very, very good in your bag..

Just picked mine up from local Pro. Not been this excited to see a new set for years, the thrill of opening the box! Love the look of them, look like a cross between the Rocketbladez and the Rocketbladez tour. Off to hit balls before it gets dark in the UK, will report back tomorrow.

Hmmmmmmmm....

Thoughts from the weekend? Definitely have some. Can't wait to get home and be able to put them all down. One thing everyone def agreed on this weekend is that TM nailed the aesthetics, truly nailed it there. Also nice that the performance back it up too though hahaha

One thing everyone def agreed on this weekend is that TM nailed the aesthetics, truly nailed it there.

Yup, really nice looking clubs, especially the transition.. those wedges are beauties. Only thing that I really don't like is all that offset as you make your way down the set. Really love how the Altitudes were able to keep a constant low offset throughout... hopefully other companies can figure out what they did there to make it work and follow suit.

Yup, really nice looking clubs, especially the transition.. those wedges are beauties. Only thing that I really don't like is all that offset as you make your way down the set. Really love how the Altitudes were able to keep a constant low offset throughout... hopefully other companies can figure out what they did there to make it work and follow suit.

I actually don't think they're all that offset, less than last years bladez and less than many other sets in their "class". The Alts are a bit of an anomaly really with that minimal of overall offset throughout in an iron their size/profile/class/purpose.

Either way though, these impressed several this weekend, including an alt user or two.

I actually don't think they're all that offset, less than last years bladez and less than many other sets in their "class". The Alts are a bit of an anomaly really with that minimal of overall offset throughout in an iron their size/profile/class/purpose.

Either way though, these impressed several this weekend, including an alt user or two.

Truth. They offered more forgiveness than I expected which is the key attribute I seek in an iron.

Through the few shots I hit on course I would say they are slightly longer than the Altitudes for me but not an absurd amount. If the looks of the ALT's bothered me these would have to be on the shortlist.

I could even hit the 4i, shocking I know.

My local golf galaxy had a set for demo today and I have to say they are remarkable. I have not hit with any irons that are current to compare but it was amazing. Really forgiving and provided so much more distance than my dinosaur irons. Everyone should just go demo them to see for yourselves.

I managed to put a few swings on the 6i. It may be one of the best feeling cavity back irons I have tried. They have been stuck in my head.

Hey guys,
It was the end of December when I last posted on the Rocketbladez thread.
I finally went to The Kingdom at Renyolds Plantation in Georgia today and had a full fitting done.
I brought home a SLDR driver and the Speedblades irons are on the way.
I gained 20 yards with the irons, and 30 with the driver over my 15 year old Henry Griffits.

I will post more when the irons get here and I have a chance to game them.

This is the best site for checking out and getting the best info on clubs!

Hey guys,
I finally went to The Kingdom at Renyolds Plantation in Georgia today and had a full fitting done.
I gained 20 yards with the irons, and 30 with the driver over my 15 year old Henry Griffits.

Fantastic man! It'll take some adjusting but these will be awesome for you.

I had a chance to hit PhillyGolfGuy's Speedblades 4i on the range today. That club is a monster. Very easy to hit, and it gets the ball up quickly and sends it a long was. I didn't have a LM and didn't hit it on the course to check the distance. But, it definitely flies higher and farther than my current 4i. It also seemed easier to hit than my mid irons. A really remarkable club.

I had a chance to hit PhillyGolfGuy's Speedblades 4i on the range today. That club is a monster. Very easy to hit, and it gets the ball up quickly and sends it a long was. I didn't have a LM and didn't hit it on the course to check the distance. But, it definitely flies higher and farther than my current 4i. It also seemed easier to hit than my mid irons. A really remarkable club.

Hearing things like this is a recurring trend when it comes to the long irons in these.

Hey guys,

That's awesome man!

Hey guys,

I'm sure that when the TM guys read responses like this, it validates their decision to have and continue the relationship with THP to promote their products. If you've read this thread, you've read the good, the bad, and the ugly. But there is a huge shortage on the last two, especially by people who have actually hit these clubs!! Good luck with the new clubs!! It's also some validation for all of us who have been putting our thoughts on here as well.

Back