What do you do to maintain focus?

Reaction score
Handicap
It's a challenge for me to stay focused solely on the next shot. My brain likes to spin on various other topics: how'd I miss that last one? Wonder how I'm tracking towards my target score today. Don't miss this next one... etc, etc.

What do you do to stay focused? How do you keep your concentration where it needs to be?

Sometimes (like today) I'll get a specific song playing in my head and it tends to help keep my mind focused and quiet. For whatever reason having a song "playing" (in my head, anyway) is quite helpful for me.

Curious if others have any mental habits on the course that are helpful for focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think of Pamela Anderson or Bo Derek running on the beach. Doesn't help my game but they sure are good lookin' !

Sounds lame but I'll quite often talk to myself while Im walking the course uring a round. Keeps my head in a good place for some reason.

I try not to think about the shot until I get to the ball...something I am trying this year. Stops the overthinking and doubting

I intentionally lose focus between shots. It helps me stay in the moment and not linger on bad shots and get lazy after good shots.

I intentionally lose focus between shots. It helps me stay in the moment and not linger on bad shots and get lazy after good shots.
True, I remember when Annika was involved in the Morgan Cup a couple years back. She said that you have to learn to switch it on and off throughout the round. Or you get mentally drained in competition.

It's hard to explain, but I just stay loose. That's not to say I'm not concentrating bc I am, but I don't grind over each shot. Once my shot is done I figure out what the next shot needs. That could be paying attention to bailout areas on a longer hole or that could be reading the green for slope to make sure I know how to execute a chip.

A course can be sensory overload and I try to only worry about what's in front of me unless it's a 2man deal then I'm obviously trying to help my partner out.

For me I just do anything to not think. I'll chat with someone else, stare at the nature around me, or just hum a tune. I try to just play golf and get out of my head. The worst thing you can do is try and figure out what you are doing wrong.

It's not easy to stay in the moment but you just have to practice it and over time it gets easier. Hope you can figure it out.

I stay loose and just try to play free. If I start thinking about the score I need to make x score, put pressure on myself, whatever, doesn't work well for me. I have a tendency to overthink, so staying free keeps me from doing that.

We are all wired differently, but in general...

After a shot, give yourself about 10 seconds to enjoy or get it out of your system - then learn the lesson from the swing, and forget the result.

Shoot the breeze, talk about anything, think about anything other than tension relating topics, hum a tune, etc.

For your 30 seconds before the shot, shut out everything, and stay in the present.

Study and prepare, and take your shot.

Then you've got 10 seconds...

Staying hydrated and eating.

I chew gum. I also try to keep one (maybe two) swing thoughts. Easy stuff like "80 percent swing" or "accelerate through"

I try not to think about the shot until I get to the ball...something I am trying this year. Stops the overthinking and doubting

This me and I forget the previous shot. It is over and done unless it was super special, then it can lead you to a great round. Just let the bad ones go.

I'm not sure if it's a focus thing or relaxing issue, but my best rounds have been when I walk while listening to music on my phone.

I think the walking gives me time to get over poor shots and the music helps me keep my mind off my swing.

I find other things to think and or talk about between shots but focus is still there. Its just less focus. When I get to my ball my routine takes me back to full focus quickly. Picking a shot a club and a yardage, then an aim point, practice or just set up at my aim point, check my grip and then go.

Completely loosing focus is bad and it has only happened once during the last couple years. I had to identify to myself how it happened so I could maintain focus in the same situation again.

To some degree I think this is what happens when I have a song running thru my head. It's not all that different than when I'm at the office. If I really need to crank thru some work I put on some jazz or classical music and it seems to occupy the part of my brain that over-analyzes things.

This me and I forget the previous shot. It is over and done unless it was super special, then it can lead you to a great round. Just let the bad ones go.

totally. My instructor recommended I keep a journal of my good shots to recall them when needed...so does Dr. Bob Rotella and to forget the bad shots.

so far it's been a mental journal but I will start writing down shots from this past round and going forward. Used the recall method a few times my last round as doubt started creeping in

If I start to lose it, have a smoke.

I try to stay lose and in a good mood regardless of the shot result. If I get tight or mad, uh oh, game over.

I should have stated it better in my first post. I can always use my routine to gain focus. Once I get into my routine its like a bubble that has me and the shot I am about to hit in it. The better I get at my routine the better the bubble and the less likely anything is to steal my focus. The last thing I look at before hitting the ball is the target and I try to hold that picture in my mind and exclude all other thoughts.

It takes a lot of work to get into a routine and it takes practice. I like to do it at busy driving ranges with noise and movement and distractions as it makes my routine stronger.

Fist thing for my focus is nutrition and hydration. I play in the Florida summers. If I don't take care of myself I won't be able to focus on anything. I try not to worry about my last shot I just get ready for my next. Then I visualize my shot and try and execute. I also set goals and that helps me stay focused. If I'm trying to break 80 I figure out where I stand and what I need to do on that Hole.

When I'm better at it I have this strange knack for immediately putting the last shot behind me having an "okay, what do I need to do from here to make (birdie/par bogey)" mentality. I don't think about anything that just happened but instead look at the next shot as an independent challenge.

I start with deep breathing, start my routine from the beggining.

I used to dwell over bad shots for a few holes and my game would go downhill but lately im learning to just let it go and keep going. One thing I think helps me is just talking with my guys im gaming with and it seams to help me switch off from the shot ive just played.
Then when I get to my ball I switch back on again. Nothing worse than getting on a tee and thinking last time I played this hole I hooked it out of bounds.

True, I remember when Annika was involved in the Morgan Cup a couple years back. She said that you have to learn to switch it on and off throughout the round. Or you get mentally drained in competition.

This has really resonated with me over the last day or so since I read it. Never really thought about it that way but it makes sense.

Back