If the grips were applied with tape and solvent, you won't be able to remove them with the compressor.

I have removed them with an air compressor for grips that were applied with tape and solvent.

I was thinking of regripping my irons/wedges, and if I'm buying the grip already, I was thinking of having a store put them on for me for two reasons:

1. The supplies will obviously not cost as much as the regripping, but the difference shouldn't be too big, should it (I don't know how much the supplies would cost total, I don't even have a guess)?

2. I'm not sure if I trust myself doing a good enough job. I just don't want to mess up and have to then spend the money anyways to get them fixed.

What do you guys think?

I was thinking of regripping my irons/wedges, and if I'm buying the grip already, I was thinking of having a store put them on for me for two reasons:

1. The supplies will obviously not cost as much as the regripping, but the difference shouldn't be too big, should it (I don't know how much the supplies would cost total, I don't even have a guess)?

2. I'm not sure if I trust myself doing a good enough job. I just don't want to mess up and have to then spend the money anyways to get them fixed.

What do you guys think?

I did my own regripping starting this year and have had zero issues. In addition to the standard supplies, I also have a bench vise which I could not imagine doing without. Hardest part was removing old grips.

But, ordered THP grips today and another full Pure grip/install kit elsewhere and will be using that next week.....should make it super easy.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I was thinking about regripping my clubs this winter and based on this thread it sounds like a pretty straight forward process. Looks like I will be placing an order at Golfworks soon!

I did my own regripping starting this year and have had zero issues. In addition to the standard supplies, I also have a bench vise which I could not imagine doing without. Hardest part was removing old grips.

But, ordered THP grips today and another full Pure grip/install kit elsewhere and will be using that next week.....should make it super easy.

Tappin' from my iPad!

How much does the regripping kit cost? And there's no vice in my house because my dad doesn't own one. Would it be possible to do it without, or should I just have it done at Dick's instead?

How much does the regripping kit cost? And there's no vice in my house because my dad doesn't own one. Would it be possible to do it without, or should I just have it done at Dick's instead?

Well, you need an air compressor to use the kit. Kit was $46 shipped for 13 grips and the install gun. Install gun is like $40 by itself from Pure so was a no-brainer for me.

I would not regrip using tape/solvent without a vise but have never tried it. Someone else can probably advise better. Pretty cheap to have Dick's do it so don't blame you for going that route.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Well, you need an air compressor to use the kit. Kit was $46 shipped for 13 grips and the install gun. Install gun is like $40 by itself from Pure so was a no-brainer for me.

I would not regrip using tape/solvent without a vise but have never tried it. Someone else can probably advise better. Pretty cheap to have Dick's do it so don't blame you for going that route.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Thanks! I am just looking for a way to get thems THP Pure Grips on my irons and wedges!

Thanks! I am just looking for a way to get thems THP Pure Grips on my irons and wedges!

Thp has grips!?! *pulls rock off head* no way! *goes to check store*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tappin' from my iPad!

I just regripped a whole set of clubs without a vise (could easily get my hands on one probably) and no problems. My friend, who taught me btw, and I do it all the time. I just use something soft on the ground or grass...no big deal. Just keep it steady and you're fine.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Kit comes with THP deal? Hmmm that could be the deciding factor!

So is it safe to use nail polish with acetone on a graphite shaft to remove sticky residue from old grip tape?

So is it safe to use nail polish with acetone on a graphite shaft to remove sticky residue from old grip tape?

I actually use a little grip solvent. Doesn't seem to have any ill effects. Use the same thing for residue left from store stickers.

Thanks to lots of good advice I've received in this post, I finished regripping these irons last night. After several attempts to save the old grips using an air compressor, I decided just to use the hook blade and cut them off. The hardest part was removing the old grip tape that was shredded. I tried using nail polish with acetone but found that just scraping by hand was most effective. Using a workbench with rubber shaft protectors made putting the new grips on really easy. Thanks for all the help, THP!

grip2.jpg
grip1.jpg

Nice job mtiger10 - they look great!

Question- I just revieved my Pure Grips from THP, and I want to put them on this weekend. I have a rather weak air compressor to pump up basketballs, soccer balls, etc. Will that do the trick? And I know there are attachements to use, but are they absolutely necessary? Or could I get it done without them? Thanks all!

Question- I just revieved my Pure Grips from THP, and I want to put them on this weekend. I have a rather weak air compressor to pump up basketballs, soccer balls, etc. Will that do the trick? And I know there are attachements to use, but are they absolutely necessary? Or could I get it done without them? Thanks all!

I bumped my compressor to about 90 PSI's and that made it super easy. I used the PURE install gun, not sure how possible/feasible it would be to install without that unless you went the solvent/tape route.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I bumped my compressor to about 90 PSI's and that made it super easy. I used the PURE install gun, not sure how possible/feasible it would be to install without that unless you went the solvent/tape route.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Okay thanks. I'm fairly sure I can get 90 PSI, and I'll try it without the gun. If I can't do it, how much was the install gun?

Okay thanks. I'm fairly sure I can get 90 PSI, and I'll try it without the gun. If I can't do it, how much was the install gun?

You can get the gun for $39 through PURE or can get the gun w/a set of PURE grips for $49 from rockbottomgolf.com which is what I did.

Tappin' from my iPad!

You can get the gun for $39 through PURE or can get the gun w/a set of PURE grips for $49 from rockbottomgolf.com which is what I did.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Okay thanks. Just got 13 from THP, so I won't be going that route. I hope I can do it without the gun.

Okay thanks. Just got 13 from THP, so I won't be going that route. I hope I can do it without the gun.

May want to reach out to Wes with PURE grips and he could advise how possible it is w/o the gun.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Okay. Thanks for all your help cookie!

Question for the regripping experts out there.

I grip all of my irons & woods because I don't really care about reference marks and I don't use the grips with a rib on the back. In fact, I usually flip my grips if there is any sort of large logo on the front of it. Anyways, I had planned to take my putter to get regripped at lunch, but forgot to grab it this morning. So I grabbed a midsize putter grip at GS today, figuring I would give it a shot myself. I live in a townhouse and have no work area or anything like that. Literally tear the old ones off in the kitchen and put the new ones on out on the patio. Any tips to keeping the grip on straight so that the flat part of the grip is square to the target line? I'm afraid that if I eyeball it, I'm leaving myself open to error... Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Question for the regripping experts out there.

I grip all of my irons & woods because I don't really care about reference marks and I don't use the grips with a rib on the back. In fact, I usually flip my grips if there is any sort of large logo on the front of it. Anyways, I had planned to take my putter to get regripped at lunch, but forgot to grab it this morning. So I grabbed a midsize putter grip at GS today, figuring I would give it a shot myself. I live in a townhouse and have no work area or anything like that. Literally tear the old ones off in the kitchen and put the new ones on out on the patio. Any tips to keeping the grip on straight so that the flat part of the grip is square to the target line? I'm afraid that if I eyeball it, I'm leaving myself open to error... Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I usually use a 12 inch ruler to act as a guide to straighten out my grips after installing them. antying with a straight edge should help you allign your grip with your putter's sight line.

Back