Practice Mats..............Anyone?????????

Brad H

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a great place to hit balls behind my house w/out having to drive 40 miles to a quality range. The only problem is its like hitting out of the rough all the time and I would like to practice hitting off a thinner lie. That brings me to looking for a quality mat to hit off of. Any suggestions? There are alot of brands out there, but I dont want to buy something that is only going to last a couple weeks.

I really am not a fan of mats because of the damage they have done to my body over the years (just had wrist surgery because of an accident on a mat) Have you thought about mowing down the grass? I do that in my backyard and actually have a little area with 3 different lengths of grass.

As far as mats go the best thing I have ever hit off of is the truestrike. It is a gel pad that is meant to replicate the feeling of grass (it gives a bit so if you hit fat it shows it and it doesnt kill your joints) They are a bit on the expensive sides as far as mats go and I would not leave it outside.

I hit off my backporch in the rain all the time, and I use a cheap mat I got from GG for like 20 bucks, and that thing has lasted longer than the rubber T it came with, I have replaced that 2 times already, I have no issues with hitting it of my porch which is cement and no problems with messing any of my clubs up either, although when its not raining I have cut out some grass in the back part of my yard where I just drop that mat into and hit off of it so I dont kill my real grass or divot up my back yard. it works great for me, and was the cheapest mat the store offered, if you really want a sturdy mat TGW has a few diff ones but they have the ones like the ranges have you can check them out, but like i said the one I have also is on their site its th 1x2 for like 15 bucks, and it has been through some stuff beleive me and its in perfect shape still http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/2111/refScid/1361

I really am not a fan of mats because of the damage they have done to my body over the years (just had wrist surgery because of an accident on a mat) Have you thought about mowing down the grass? I do that in my backyard and actually have a little area with 3 different lengths of grass.

^^^What he said^^^^ The bounce mats give you at the bottom of your swing are likely to cause problems in your wrists, elbows and shoulders sooner or later. That and they make a mess of your clubs...

I lay a thin piece of carpet on top of the grass so I get the thin lie and the shock absorption, plus it doesn't damage the grass.

I'm so jealous of your backyard practice abilities. I would probably have even less of a life if I was able to practice at home. If I was you I would just cut the grass shorter, maybe look up how to keep up grass hitting decks? That would probably give you a good idea how to keep it in line.

I think you should try mowing the grass if at all possible... I go to a really nice range by my house that has quality mats but I prefer to hit off real grass

Back