Rules Question: 25-3 Wrong Putting Green

omega4

Reaction score
Handicap
I've submitted the following question to the USGA (via its website) but figured I'd ask here in case anybody had any thoughts on the matter.

A golf course has 2 holes where their greens (circular in shape) are connected by a relatively narrower green "bridgeway". This bridgeway is considered a part of both holes' greens, as it's surface and composition are identical to the greens that it connects.

When playing an approach shot to green B (hole B's green), it's common for a ball to roll from green B down to green A (Hole A's green) via the green "bridgeway", given the contours of green B and the green "bridgeway".

Rule 25-3a states "Interference by a wrong putting green occurs when a ball is on the wrong putting green."

Is green B considered a "wrong putting green" even though it is connected to green A via the green "bridgeway"? Or are greens A and B considered one and the same green because they are connected by the green "bridgeway"?

If green B is considered a "wrong putting green", then would I be able to take relief (without penalty) as stated under Rule 25-3b (Relief)?

Thanks.

I think that is the kind of situation the rule was made for but I am not 100%

"If a player’s ball lies on a wrong putting green, he must not play the ball as it lies."

Would that not classify as a shared green? Both pins could be placed in a manner than would have them relatively close to one another which if the rule applies as written would cause a lot of players strokes. Or in the case of large shared greens where is the point that one green is considered the wrong green?

Would that not classify as a shared green? Both pins could be placed in a manner than would have them relatively close to one another which if the rule applies as written would cause a lot of players strokes. Or in the case of large shared greens where is the point that one green is considered the wrong green?

That's a good question. Both greens are roughly the same size as each other with the green "bridgeway" being about 60% of the size of just one of the greens alone.

i played a course with a similiar green situation and there was a local rule that covered the situation (no relief) shown on the score card

i played a course with a similiar green situation and there was a local rule that covered the situation (no relief) shown on the score card

Thanks for sharing that. The fact that the course you played on felt that it was necessary to stipulate a local rule regarding the shared greens situation (no relief) leads me to infer that perhaps Rule 25-3 can be invoked on shared greens unless specifically prohibited by a local rule.

Back