Electronics Pondering with Kmac, Tmex and Coolbreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on the MacBook Air?

I'm going to use my leftover financial aid money to buy a much needed new laptop. I just don't know whether to pony the extra cash for a MacBook Pro or whether an Air would suffice?

I'm a very casual computer user. I browse sports websites, forums, download some music/movies, and do my school stuff.

Steel Tappin'
If thats all you're really doing then why not a PC and save yourself a ton of money? Macs are great, but other than just wanting the brand I don't think you're going to need one.

Any thoughts on the MacBook Air?

I'm going to use my leftover financial aid money to buy a much needed new laptop. I just don't know whether to pony the extra cash for a MacBook Pro or whether an Air would suffice?

I'm a very casual computer user. I browse sports websites, forums, download some music/movies, and do my school stuff.

Steel Tappin'

I have a 13" air and thought I would hate it at first. I really have fallen in love with it. It seems so light compared to a older MacBook while working on it. The hard drive is only 150 GG,but I just store some stuff on an external. I say get a Mac if you really won't one. It will last a long time. If you want to save some money go after a PC laptop. I personally don't think it will last as long.

Good ponder but I love the galaxy tab as it is a great tablet.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

If thats all you're really doing then why not a PC and save yourself a ton of money? Macs are great, but other than just wanting the brand I don't think you're going to need one.

lmao @ coolbreeze and his almost anti-apple ways.

Spoiler
anti-apple.jpg

I have a 13" air and thought I would hate it at first. I really have fallen in love with it. It seems so light compared to a older MacBook while working on it. The hard drive is only 150 GG,but I just store some stuff on an external. I say get a Mac if you really won't one. It will last a long time. If you want to save some money go after a PC laptop. I personally don't think it will last as long.
OK, come on now people, how long do we need electronics to last? In 2-3 yeas any electronics are completely outdated and you will be looking for a new one anyway, this is besides the point that PC's are built well too, and yes they break sometimes but you hear about it more just because there are more of them out there. One of my sub contractors is an apple repair store and trust me, they break down, and they use the same components from the same suppliers as almost every large computer builder in the world. Their software is great so if that is the reason you want to buy a mac then all the power to you, but the rest of that stuff is just silly.

I do need something reliable. My parents bought a Dell PC last year and it has been a total disaster. So, if I bought a Dell, or some other brand, I'd end up spending for a better model regardless.

I do a lot of coursework online for school so I really need something that doesn't crash and can be counted on regularly.

Plus, I'll be honest - I just love Apple products. I've always had an iPhone and just recently grabbed an iPad. Love the simplicity and practicality of Apple products.

Steel Tappin'

I do need something reliable. My parents bought a Dell PC last year and it has been a total disaster. So, if I bought a Dell, or some other brand, I'd end up spending for a better model regardless.

I do a lot of coursework online for school so I really need something that doesn't crash and can be counted on regularly.

Plus, I'll be honest - I just love Apple products. I've always had an iPhone and just recently grabbed an iPad. Love how simplicity and practicality of Apple products.

Steel Tappin'
I'm sorry you're parents got a bad Dell, but do you honestly think PC's are just out there crashing all day every day? People know that the electronic world we all live in runs mostly on PC boxes with windows based OS's right? THP does in fact, and it runs pretty well. I've been converted from a MAC hater to actually being quite fond of this stupid iphone, but people thinking that PC's just crash all day every day is silly. Oh and Windows 7 is the bomb!

Agreed. Brain says no to Apple. They do everything a PC does (with some effort on the user's end) at a higher price.

BUT, I have been looking at iMacs and I gotta say, they aren't too far off the mark compared to other all in ones.

edit: this is in response to CBs post right above.

Plus, I'll be honest - I just love Apple products. I've always had an iPhone and just recently grabbed an iPad. Love the simplicity and practicality of Apple products.

Steel Tappin'

I've never had a PC fail on me. Yeah, they get sick and die eventually, but that usually times in around their hardware becoming obsolete. As far as a PC crashing, it really is false. Windows 7 is very stable. Run Firefox with a couple security add ons and your gtg.

I too like Apple and always check em out before I buy PC.

I'm sorry you're parents got a bad Dell, but do you honestly think PC's are just out there crashing all day every day? People know that the electronic world we all live in runs mostly on PC boxes with windows based OS's right? THP does in fact, and it runs pretty well. I've been converted from a MAC hater to actually being quite fond of this stupid iphone, but people thinking that PC's just crash all day every day is silly. Oh and Windows 7 is the bomb!

uhhh, yeah. rep definitely added for that paragraph of complete genius.

I had a Dell laptop for 5 years and absolutely loved it. I never had a problem with it until it died out on me in August. I'd get another Dell laptop but, like I said, I'd end up spending for it regardless. So, if I'm spending the same amount of money, yes, I'd probably prefer trying a MacBook this time around.

Steel Tappin'

I agree. My last PC lasted just about 10 years until I replaced in recently. I did have a laptop go bad on me after 4 years. Other than that I've had no issued with PC desktops or laptops.

I've never had a PC fail on me. Yeah, they get sick and die eventually, but that usually times in around their hardware becoming obsolete. As far as a PC crashing, it really is false. Windows 7 is very stable. Run Firefox with a couple security add ons and your gtg.

I too like Apple and always check em out before I buy PC.

Oh, no, it's not false at all. This PC has been a disaster of epic proportions from the moment it came out of the box.

Steel Tappin'

OK, come on now people, how long do we need electronics to last? In 2-3 yeas any electronics are completely outdated and you will be looking for a new one anyway, this is besides the point that PC's are built well too, and yes they break sometimes but you hear about it more just because there are more of them out there. One of my sub contractors is an apple repair store and trust me, they break down, and they use the same components from the same suppliers as almost every large computer builder in the world. Their software is great so if that is the reason you want to buy a mac then all the power to you, but the rest of that stuff is just silly.

Yeah there are a ton of PCs out there and that is why they seem to do worse. I think there is a reason that the MacBook is rated the most durable laptop out there, most due to the fact the software is written for the hardware they built it with. I personally think a electronic device should last 4-5 years but that is not the case with most brands out there. We could start a huge debate over Apple vs Windows, but that has been done on here many times with no outcome.

If Windows 7 rocks so much, why does most of the business world still use Windows XP?

I think when it comes to windows based laptops its possible to get a lemon with any manufacturer. And same goes for Apple even if the Apple homers would have you think otherwise. These things are being made by people and that means errors or issues with the process. The worst laptop Ive had was Sony but otherwise I feel like Sony makes some very quality stuff. After that debacle is when I got my MacBook Pro and its been awesome. It had one major problem and that was taken care of by "Genius's" free of charge. I compare it to cars, you can get a great one or a lemon from the exact same factory. YMMV.

I think when it comes to windows based laptops its possible to get a lemon with any manufacturer. And same goes for Apple even if the Apple homers would have you think otherwise. These things are being made by people and that means errors or issues with the process. The worst laptop Ive had was Sony but otherwise I feel like Sony makes some very quality stuff. After that debacle is when I got my MacBook Pro and its been awesome. It had one major problem and that was taken care of by "Genius's" free of charge. I compare it to cars, you can get a great one or a lemon from the exact same factory. YMMV.

I agree with this completely. Like I said, my Dell laptop carried me through undergrad and went through the ringer. Literally traveled all around the world with me. I loved that thing.

I'm not an anti-PC person by any means. I'm just honestly pondering the MacBook and would enjoy syncing it with the rest of my Apple products.

Steel Tappin'

I agree. My last PC lasted just about 10 years until I replaced in recently. I did have a laptop go bad on me after 4 years. Other than that I've had no issued with PC desktops or laptops.
LOL at a 10 year PC, that thing must have been epically slow, but it shows how long one can last.

Yeah there are a ton of PCs out there and that is why they seem to do worse. I think there is a reason that the MacBook is rated the most durable laptop out there, most due to the fact the software is written for the hardware they built it with. I personally think a electronic device should last 4-5 years but that is not the case with most brands out there. We could start a huge debate over Apple vs Windows, but that has been done on here many times with no outcome.

If Windows 7 rocks so much, why does most of the business world still use Windows XP?
I don't think we are getting into PC vs MAC that argument is stupid, both are good this for me was more, "PC's crash all the time and are bad" which is false. As for why business running XP still there are many many reasons they are still running XP. In many cases (our company is a perfect example) if we upgraded all our offices and all our DVR's that we make to windows 7 we would have to buy a TON of software over again, and some of our hardware would not run on windows 7 and then we would have to buy that again too. All our PC's that can be upgraded to windows 7 have been, and the rest have been left on XP as it is the most stable OP sys I have seen other than windows 7. For our dvr's we have always used a Windows XP embedded software and are currently working on making a proper version of Windows 7 embedded but this takes time.

The bold part is kind of true, but it has more to do with the fact that they are the only ones who make their own computers with their own software.

I repped this.

I figure there's a reason besides price that every major company Ive worked for uses Dell laptops for business. Theyre tanks.

There is also something to going all Apple, even though I probably wouldnt ever do it. They all sync up easily along with any mobile devices. And another thing is the Apple Time Machine for backups is simply awesome Windows has nothing that can touch it. Replaced the HDD in my MacBook and did an iOS upgrade all at the same time. It was seamless and done in 30 minutes.

I don't think we are getting into PC vs MAC that argument is stupid, both are good this for me was more, "PC's crash all the time and are bad" which is false. As for why business running XP still there are many many reasons they are still running XP. In many cases (our company is a perfect example) if we upgraded all our offices and all our DVR's that we make to windows 7 we would have to buy a TON of software over again, and some of our hardware would not run on windows 7 and then we would have to buy that again too. All our PC's that can be upgraded to windows 7 have been, and the rest have been left on XP as it is the most stable OP sys I have seen other than windows 7. For our dvr's we have always used a Windows XP embedded software and are currently working on making a proper version of Windows 7 embedded but this takes time.

The bold part is kind of true, but it has more to do with the fact that they are the only ones who make their own computers with their own software.

I see where you are coming from on that first part. Cost mostly is one of the biggest things and the old business motto of "Why fix it if it is not broken?".

I see where you are coming from on that first part. Cost mostly is one of the biggest things and the old business motto of "Why fix it if it is not broken?".
Yep, I just recently looked at what it would cost to upgrade all of our offices to Windows 7, it would have been thousands and thousands of dollars.

Yep, I just recently looked at what it would cost to upgrade all of our offices to Windows 7, it would have been thousands and thousands of dollars.

Just so it could look really nice. Haha

SP - Check to see if your school qualifies for an Apple educational discount. I know MS used to sell their software dirt cheap to students, but don't know if PC OEMs have a similar program for hardware.

I just converted to a 13" MPB this year because I couldn't stand taking my work supplied 15.6" Dell PC through the airport every week. Only issue I have right now is connecting to our shared drives when connected to the VPN. The MBP hardware is just so much better than what was available at the time from a PC OEM.

Like CB talks about with WinXP, many software titles out there are not compatible with OSX Lion. I've been able to work around it so far, but its something to watch.

SP - Check to see if your school qualifies for an Apple educational discount. I know MS used to sell their software dirt cheap to students, but don't know if PC OEMs have a similar program for hardware.

I just converted to a 13" MPB this year because I couldn't stand taking my work supplied 15.6" Dell PC through the airport every week. Only issue I have right now is connecting to our shared drives when connected to the VPN. The MBP hardware is just so much better than what was available at the time from a PC OEM.

Like CB talks about with WinXP, many software titles out there are not compatible with OSX Lion. I've been able to work around it so far, but its something to watch.

My school does qualify for a discount. I'd actually have my brother order it though because he gets a slightly better Apple discount through his company.

Steel tappin' from my iPad

I gotta' agree with CB here. To say that PCs crash and die all the time isn't true at all....just a great marketing campaign from Apple IMO. I ran our company on a Dell Windows 2K server since 2001 with Dell XP machines until the end of 2011 (our proprietary software runs on FoxPro...that will be funny to some). I upgraded us to Dell Windows 7 machines with a Windows 2011 Essentials server and fully expect another 10 years outta this stuff.

The main reason I pick Dell every time is support. I haven't had to use it often, but when you can call and give a simple Service Tag code and the tech can pull up my EXACT box and all its contents....that's beautiful.

BTW...if you need to install a server and don't need many bells and whistles that server is the best thing ever created. Install was SO SMOOTH and connecting the PCs was effortless. No more configuration issues, simple user adds. Light years from what we used to do.

I gotta' agree with CB here. To say that PCs crash and die all the time isn't true at all....just a great marketing campaign from Apple IMO. I ran our company on a Dell Windows 2K server since 2001 with Dell XP machines until the end of 2011 (our proprietary software runs on FoxPro...that will be funny to some). I upgraded us to Dell Windows 7 machines with a Windows 2011 Essentials server and fully expect another 10 years outta this stuff.

The main reason I pick Dell every time is support. I haven't had to use it often, but when you can call and give a simple Service Tag code and the tech can pull up my EXACT box and all its contents....that's beautiful.

BTW...if you need to install a server and don't need many bells and whistles that server is the best thing ever created. Install was SO SMOOTH and connecting the PCs was effortless. No more configuration issues, simple user adds. Light years from what we used to do.

LOL I got stuck at FoxPro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back