Golf fitting correct?

ovalballs86

Reaction score
Handicap
So 4 weeks ago i purchased a brand new set of Burner 2.0 irons along with a 3 hybrid from a golf store in the uk. during negotiation (knocking off £50) the guy mentioned this included free fitting. He said play 3 - 4 rounds over a 3 week period, then come back and get fitted. So far so good

So today i popped back into the store armed with my less shiny clubs to get fitted. I was expecting at least a half hour session of them monitoring my swing on the computer etc. I was WRONG! instead the guy put a sticker on the bottom of my 7 iron and said hit 3 balls. I hit 3 balls and he removed the sticker to look at the marks left by the ball. He then put the 7 iron back in my bag and said thats it your hitting them sweet.

As I have never had a set of clubs fitted before, does this sound right? I am not convinced. Dont get me wrong I am hitting these irons well (though as they are slightly longer than my previous set its taken a while to get used to.) but I would have thought a club fitting was more than 3 swings with 1 club? If someone could enlighten me that would be great!

Thanks

Tom

Well, it sounds like he checked your lie angle, but that's not really a full fitting exactly.

It seems as though what he meant by fitting was actually just a small portion of it called lie fitting. Most do use the sticker method and it only takes a few swings to check lie angle and then adjust accordingly. If the mark on the sticker was in the middle, he would technically be correct.

However I would tell you that that is not actually a full fitting, but just a small piece of it.

There are really two completely different kind of feelings. One in where they fully fit you for an iron using a LM. They will determine what head gives you the best numbers, help you decide which shaft to use, as well as your specs.

The other type is just checking to make sure the length and lie are correct. That is what the store was offering.

What store was it ?

a "free" fitting is unlikely to include anything that would actually cost money, like lengthening or shortening shafts (and the associated re-gripping)

you can't really expect something thrown in as a freebie to be the same thing that others may be paying $150-200 for

It was american golf.

It was advertised for a full custom fit for all clubs brought. Hence why I expected shafts and grips to be sorted. I took my clubs to a different custom fitter who said my lie is incorrect, and that the shafts should have been stiff considering my swing speed (this was not measured at purchase). He recommended I contact the store and complain that I feel a custom fit as advertised has not been done. I called them and they have said that they always do a 30 minute session and change lie, grips etc before leaving the store! Maybe I just got a rogue salesman? Anyway I'm going back in tomorrow to finally have my clubs custom fitted. Fingers crossed for reusults!

Lazy american golfers...

The problem with big stores is that they get away with this sort of thing. I hope you get everything sorted out by them ...let us know .
I often visit them for a look at new equipment but I would only get fitted by a local pro ....they will do a full and proper fitting and most will match Internet or big store prices plus you get years of experience generally....

I was going to ask if this was American Golf before I noticed you had posted it. Had a similar experience with them some time ago and have rarely gone back unless I am buying exactly what need and they are selling at the cheapest price (hardly ever!).

From personal experience I usually go to Direct Golf (Romford store). Staff in there are always very helpful. Last time I brought a set of irons they put on the launch monitor (telling me it would cost £30 but would be worth it) and checked as much as they could from there. Once I had made my selection (I was there a good 2 and a half hours) I went to the counter to pay and they didn't charge me for the monitor time - told me it was all part of the service!

I was going to ask if this was American Golf before I noticed you had posted it. Had a similar experience with them some time ago and have rarely gone back unless I am buying exactly what need and they are selling at the cheapest price (hardly ever!).

From personal experience I usually go to Direct Golf (Romford store). Staff in there are always very helpful. Last time I brought a set of irons they put on the launch monitor (telling me it would cost £30 but would be worth it) and checked as much as they could from there. Once I had made my selection (I was there a good 2 and a half hours) I went to the counter to pay and they didn't charge me for the monitor time - told me it was all part of the service!

It was Direct golf that I went to for a second opinion! Guy was very helpful, took time out of his day to put me on the launch monitor and recommend changes to my clubs, all for no cost! He said he could adjust the lie for £30 but he recommended complaining to american golf first as they should have done it to begin with! I have learnt my lesson and will never be visiting american golf for anything except the occasional sleeve of balls!

Back