Project X
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Miyazaki and International flex code

  1. #1
    I'm the bomb.com WestTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    1,668
    Member
    3180
    Handicap
    8.1
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts

    Miyazaki and International flex code

    Been Pondering the Cleveland Classic since you can get them from $199 these days
    Question of how you find your flex code though.

    How does this work exactly? Do they have some kind of device like the Mizuno shaft optimizer that spits these flex code numbers out for you? Do you just hit every shaft under the sun till you get the best results and that's your flex code? I hear about the "fitting" Cleveland can do for you, yet I have never seen one done, and the last time the Cleveland Rep out this way had a demo day all he had was a bunch of different drivers to hit. No fitting cart, no interchangeable shafts or heads.

    Is there some kind of fitting system that I just don't get to see out here? How did all the Cleveland Golf MC staffers get fitted for their Drivers?
    WITB


    Updated - 2/28

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    27,455
    Member
    1110
    Handicap
    Dice
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked 466 Times in 303 Posts
    From what Ive heard you tell them which shaft you like, say Prolaunch Red. But then you tell them what more you need out of it, and they skew the numbers to meet your asking. But thats only what I have heard.

  3. #3
    Master Painter Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    66,828
    Member
    1193
    Handicap
    Thanks
    1,268
    Thanked 17,043 Times in 7,365 Posts
    There isn't anything like an optimizer, so it's going to be centered around demoing and a launch monitor. The last Cleveland demo day I went had a number of drivers, some with aftermarket Miyazki's installed and a FlightScope. I watched a guy get fit for almost an hour that day.

    There is also this catalog https://www.clevelandgolf.com/pdfs/20...om_Catalog.pdf that has flex codes for other shafts based on how Miyazaki determines them.

    I think the point of the INTL Flex Code is to show the different launch characteristics numerically rather than just lableing something "stiff" or "regular".
    G30 SF Tec 10
    CP1 SuperSpoon 16.5
    Aeroburner 3h
    Vapor Flex 25
    Gmax 4-PW
    TK 15 48-60
    Studio Stock 2
    Pro V1

  4. #4
    I'd Rather Be At The Hideaway

    Howzat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    23,931
    Member
    5159
    Handicap
    Thanks
    5,493
    Thanked 12,033 Times in 5,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WestTex View Post
    Been Pondering the Cleveland Classic since you can get them from $199 these days
    Question of how you find your flex code though.

    How does this work exactly? Do they have some kind of device like the Mizuno shaft optimizer that spits these flex code numbers out for you? Do you just hit every shaft under the sun till you get the best results and that's your flex code? I hear about the "fitting" Cleveland can do for you, yet I have never seen one done, and the last time the Cleveland Rep out this way had a demo day all he had was a bunch of different drivers to hit. No fitting cart, no interchangeable shafts or heads.

    Is there some kind of fitting system that I just don't get to see out here? How did all the Cleveland Golf MC staffers get fitted for their Drivers?

    Check out the Custom Shaft options PDF on Cleveland's website. It will show the flex code for all the shafts they offer and graphs to show you stiffness vs. launch.
    Tour B330
    Tour B XD-7 w/ Tour AD DI-6x
    Tour B XD-F 15 & 18 w/ Rogue Silver 70
    Tour B XD-H 21 & 24 w/ Proforce VTS Silver 85
    Tour B X-CB 5-PW w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95
    J15 52 and 58 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95
    Jailbird w/ G-pro MAX

  5. #5
    I'm the bomb.com WestTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    1,668
    Member
    3180
    Handicap
    8.1
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Howzat View Post
    Check out the Custom Shaft options PDF on Cleveland's website. It will show the flex code for all the shafts they offer and graphs to show you stiffness vs. launch.
    Yes I see that, but the last thing I want to do is guesstimate what shaft I "think" is gonna be good for my game again, been there, done that, tired of it. I thought a YSQ in an Adams 9032 head would be a good combo for me. I go on a monitor after a while of playing it and find out in this low spin head I'm pulling 4000 spin rate. Guess I'm a bad guesser.
    WITB


    Updated - 2/28

  6. #6
    Master Painter Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    66,828
    Member
    1193
    Handicap
    Thanks
    1,268
    Thanked 17,043 Times in 7,365 Posts
    Tim Gillis at Miyazaki can be a big help, WestTex. Email or call them and he usually is the one that answers. He might be able to help.
    G30 SF Tec 10
    CP1 SuperSpoon 16.5
    Aeroburner 3h
    Vapor Flex 25
    Gmax 4-PW
    TK 15 48-60
    Studio Stock 2
    Pro V1

  7. #7
    I'm the bomb.com WestTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    1,668
    Member
    3180
    Handicap
    8.1
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    There isn't anything like an optimizer, so it's going to be centered around demoing and a launch monitor. The last Cleveland demo day I went had a number of drivers, some with aftermarket Miyazki's installed and a FlightScope. I watched a guy get fit for almost an hour that day.

    There is also this catalog https://www.clevelandgolf.com/pdfs/20...om_Catalog.pdf that has flex codes for other shafts based on how Miyazaki determines them.

    I think the point of the INTL Flex Code is to show the different launch characteristics numerically rather than just lableing something "stiff" or "regular".
    Could they tell the guy who was getting fit, " Well b/c of your swing type, you are going to need something around a 6655." Or do they go " The spin and launch numbers look good, the shaft your hitting is coded at 6655."

    If its the 1st one, that's pretty cool. If it's the 2nd that's fine since it's no different than what I'm use too. They just can't give you all the options to demo since they don't have interchangeable heads.
    WITB


    Updated - 2/28

  8. #8
    Master Painter Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    66,828
    Member
    1193
    Handicap
    Thanks
    1,268
    Thanked 17,043 Times in 7,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WestTex View Post
    Could they tell the guy who was getting fit, " Well b/c of your swing type, you are going to need something around a 6655." Or do they go " The spin and launch numbers look good, the shaft your hitting is coded at 6655."

    If its the 1st one, that's pretty cool. If it's the 2nd that's fine since it's no different than what I'm use too. They just can't give you all the options to demo since they don't have interchangeable heads.
    I think it could go both ways. By looking at other shafts and the numbers or results you get from them Tim could probably recommend some things that might help. Honestly, there are people on the site here that could do the same. I'm not really one of them though.
    G30 SF Tec 10
    CP1 SuperSpoon 16.5
    Aeroburner 3h
    Vapor Flex 25
    Gmax 4-PW
    TK 15 48-60
    Studio Stock 2
    Pro V1

  9. #9
    NoMoreCommies
    T0AD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia, via Indy
    Posts
    10,134
    Member
    5739
    Handicap
    13 GHIN
    Thanks
    4,618
    Thanked 6,255 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WestTex View Post
    Could they tell the guy who was getting fit, " Well b/c of your swing type, you are going to need something around a 6655." Or do they go " The spin and launch numbers look good, the shaft your hitting is coded at 6655."

    If its the 1st one, that's pretty cool. If it's the 2nd that's fine since it's no different than what I'm use too. They just can't give you all the options to demo since they don't have interchangeable heads.
    This is exactly my question. I thought there was going to be Miyazaki chart that would cross reference your current shaft to one of theirs, or something like that. I like my shaft, but would go Miyazaki in a second if they could tell me it was the 'same'.


    edit: I think that pdf answered my question
    WITB

    [in timeout] J815 - UST VTS Red 10.5
    XR 4W* LZ50 Blue 70g
    BB Heavenwood - LZ50 Blue @22
    z355 4-AW - Nippon 950 R
    Mack Daddy 3 54 W grind - Nippon 950
    RTX-3 58 VFG - Nippon 950
    64 Sure Out
    testing CX3 CURE


  10. #10
    Master Painter Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    66,828
    Member
    1193
    Handicap
    Thanks
    1,268
    Thanked 17,043 Times in 7,365 Posts
    There is a pretty good list in the PDF I linked, T0AD.
    G30 SF Tec 10
    CP1 SuperSpoon 16.5
    Aeroburner 3h
    Vapor Flex 25
    Gmax 4-PW
    TK 15 48-60
    Studio Stock 2
    Pro V1

  11. #11
    Grinder SW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coral Gables
    Posts
    14,135
    Member
    2806
    Handicap
    7.6
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 251 Times in 174 Posts
    Get some numbers with a stock classic and call them and tell the fitters what you are looking for they can give some really suggestions.
    Driver: with
    Fairways: BLACK 3W Mashie 5W and 7W
    Hybrid: Mashie 5
    Irons: 588 6-PW
    Flatstick: Connosieur Perfecto

    aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    I will either find a way or make one.

  12. #12
    Follow @THPGolf JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the THP Tour Van Takes Us!
    Posts
    151,383
    Member
    3
    Handicap
    Thanks
    14,144
    Thanked 216,535 Times in 45,300 Posts
    It's really no different than any other fitting. Launch monitor use, shaft options in heads and finding the right balance.
    In my 2015 #TheGrandaddy THP Event Bag

    Driver:
    EPIC w/ HZRDUS Yellow Shaft 45"
    Driver 2:
    KING F7 Woody w/ Custom THP HZRDUS Shaft 43.5"
    Fairway Wood:
    Exotics EX10 Beta
    Hybrids:
    KING OS
    Irons:
    Steelhead Pro 6-PW
    Wedges:
    RTX 3 CB 50* & MB 54* & 60*
    Putter:
    Mini Giant DF
    Balls:
    Snell
    MTB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •