Tbox

...By Height.
Reaction score
Handicap
I have noticed recently that my putting has been worse than normal. I will make a couple putts every round but I miss several that I feel I get a good read on. All of my misses seem to be to the left. I am left handed by the way. It is almost like there is a glitch either with my hands or my shoulders that shoves the ball that way. The roll itself is good, just way offline. Is there any type of drill I can try to help alleviate this problem? I have been concentratingon getting the same setup every time with the ball in the same position. I don't think that is the problem.

I have noticed recently that my putting has been worse than normal. I will make a couple putts every round but I miss several that I feel I get a good read on. All of my misses seem to be to the left. I am left handed by the way. It is almost like there is a glitch either with my hands or my shoulders that shoves the ball that way. The roll itself is good, just way offline. Is there any type of drill I can try to help alleviate this problem? I have been concentratingon getting the same setup every time with the ball in the same position. I don't think that is the problem.

The gate drill is always good. Practice with a smaller target. Get a carpenters laser level. How certain are you that you're setup isn't the problem?

Last edited:
I have been working on maintaining a consistent setup the entire year. I worked on my pre-putt routine to help promote a repeatable setup. I really don't think that is the problem. I would have said it is just a case of the yips, but I really don't miss that many from 5' and in. It is more of the 8'-20' putts that it seems to happen. Occasionally it could just be a misread, but most of the time the ball starts way left of my intended line. It is almost like my hands or shoulders are turning to compensate for something. I guess I need to video my putts and check my setup and alignment again. I just really feel like it is something with my hands or shoulders during the putt.

Don't forget that this is the Ask the Pro section.

Sounds like an alignment issue. Take a couple of golf balls and draw a circle around the equator of the ball, line it up to your target. See if you can get the
ball to roll straight to your target without the line wobbling. It will also tell you if were aimed correctly.

Back