OK... I'm a cigar noob. HELP!

Pinged

In Search of Bagger Vance
Reaction score
Handicap
I bought myself a father's day present: a humidor, humidifier and a few accessories- and a few cigars- based in large part on the suggestions on the forum.

I bought:

5- Cusano 18 Robusto
5- Ashton Corona
5- Assortment pack of Perdomo Reserve

NOW the question-

These all come in individual cellophane sleeves/wrappers. Should they be IN THE SLEEVE or OUT OF THE SLEEVE in the humidor?!?!?

I really don't want to ruin $75 worth of cigars!!

I'm calibrating the humidistat tonight per the instructions, have humidifiers in the cedar-lined humidor, etc.

These all came from Cigars Intn'l, btw.

TIA

First off congrats. The keep the celo on or off is a long standing argument with most cigar people. I usually take them off, but most I know keep them on.

Now, when you see a title that says "incoming Pinged" you will have some cigars headed your way...

Incoming Pinged. Something put in the mailbox should be to you in a few days.

Another thing to remember is make sure any cigars you purchase or receive via the mail, you let rest in your humidor for a few days before enjoying.

It makes absolutely no difference if you keep them in cello unless you are "aging" them. In that case the cello hinders the aging process a bit. I have about 30% of my sticks in cellos in my humidor. The cello does help them from getting too much damage if you are going to be handling them often.

Be sure you season the humidor first before putting your cigars in there!!! Here is a basic and quick way to do it http://www.wikihow.com/Season-a-Humidor

For the time being just keep them in a big ziploc bag with a humidifier in there until you get your humidor stable. And don't be in any hurry!!

Gummi Bear put a great link in WSE's thread with a bunch useful links you will want to read through. http://www.cigarsinternational.com/html/cig101_main.asp

Proper temp(65-70 degrees) and proper humidity(65%-70%) are all you need to keep your smokes good for up to 20 years!!

Best of luck, if like most of us you'll have 3 or 4 humidors before you know it and be considering going to a vinotemp, haha.

Wow- Thanks JB! And thanks for the info guys-

Off to read threads...

Congrats on the new setup!

I'll have to rummage around, and see what I've got to promote your cause...

OK.... a follow-up question.

There are DOZENS of golf forums- but THP has it's own flavor: friendly, encouraging, supportive, FUN! I rarely go anywhere else.

SO... I see there are also DOZENS of cigar forums. But which one is the most "THP-Like"? I'm not interested in cigar snobs anymore than I'm interested in golf snobs.

Suggestions?

OK.... a follow-up question.

There are DOZENS of golf forums- but THP has it's own flavor: friendly, encouraging, supportive, FUN! I rarely go anywhere else.

SO... I see there are also DOZENS of cigar forums. But which one is the most "THP-Like"? I'm not interested in cigar snobs anymore than I'm interested in golf snobs.

Suggestions?

www.botl.org I've been a member there about a year and it is full of great people and no egos.

Thank you JB & GG

Thank you JB & GG

After starting my "noob" thread last week, a lovely package arrived from the site owners this week...

IMG_1524.jpg

How cool is THAT?

Thanks again! :clapp:

That IS cool!

I will never get a similar package!

BUT!

I am a money noob. It would be cool to get a bunch of one-hundred dollar bills in the mail. Thank you. hehehe

(Seriously, that's really a cool thing)

That IS cool!

I will never get a similar package!

BUT!

I am a money noob. It would be cool to get a bunch of one-hundred dollar bills in the mail. Thank you. hehehe

(Seriously, that's really a cool thing)

We probably have a spare Monopoly set floating around.

I hope you enjoy your smokes. I have gotten years of pleasure out of smoking cigars with good friends and on two recent very special occassions. I keep my cigars out of the cello, but as said earlier it is a matter of personal choice. Don't be afraid to experiment and try diffent kinds and different strengths of cigars.

Back