divot with hybrid

200s

Reaction score
Handicap
This year is my first year playing with a hybrid. Is it normal to take a divot as if I'm using a long iron? I get great distance out of it, just wondering if a divot is considered normal with a hybrid.

This year is my first year playing with a hybrid. Is it normal to take a divot as if I'm using a long iron? I get great distance out of it, just wondering if a divot is considered normal with a hybrid.

Well a hybrid is supposed to be swung just like an iron, i.e. hitting down on it not sweeping it like you would a wood, so yes.

I was under the impression that it was to be played the same way as a long iron and not sweeping like Lefty said above. I did a quick search on the interwebs and came up with this:

Taking a divot---large or small depending on the shot and situation---will help you hit down with the club rather than lifting up and trying to create your own loft. Taking a divot will force you to hit the ball on the center of the club face, giving you the best chance to hit the ball straight and get yourself out of those tough situations.

I can fling some serious turf with the hybo and my 5wood. I wouldn't worry about it too much man, let the turf fly!

You should have seen the beaver tail I threw with my 18* hybrid last weekend.
I don't tend to take large divots very often with my hybrid, but on occasion...

I can fling some serious turf with the hybo and my 5wood. I wouldn't worry about it too much man, let the turf fly!

My father is a sweeper with all his clubs. I am convinced it is because he is one of the biggest green thumbs you will ever meet. He doesnt want to hurt the grass..haha I have no problem letting the turf fly...sometimes more than I would like to *chunk*

Thanks for the input everyone. I just wanted to make sure I.was hitting the club right.

As long as the divot is after ball-first contact, then it's all good.

Hybo's are long irons with a lower center mass to help get the ball airborne so divots are normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I take some divots with my hybrid. Except when I'm hitting it off the tee.

Yup. In fact, I am more comfortable hitting down and taking a divot with my hybrids than with my long irons.

i tend to sweep for some reason, there is a very small divot if any. maybe that's why i am hooking them like crazy.

I try to take a divot with every club except the driver and hell if i get steep enough I'll take one with that sucker too lol

i used to take divots with my 3 hybrid but i found that smacking it without a divot works better for me personally.

I try to take a divot with every club except the driver and hell if i get steep enough I'll take one with that sucker too lol

That's funny right there.....

Heck I can take divots with a putter hehe.

I take divots with my hybrid but they are usually pretty small. I tend to take bigger ones with my woods

Back