An interesting take on adjustable driver heads

haha doesnt he have Mizuno shoes on? Where do you even get those?
You can get them in the UK. Mizuno makes lots of stuff they dont sell in the USA, such as balls, shoes and putters.

He really has gotten better about being subjective in his reviews. I know that he wasnt really a fan of the MP-650s and doesnt have any of them in his bag. Lately he's reviewed a lot of Nike clubs and gave them rave reviews. I believe he uses a Nike driver as well.

Exactly. Maybe a little more objective would be nice.

You can get them in the UK. Mizuno makes lots of stuff they dont sell in the USA, such as balls, shoes and putters.

Mizuno is really cool and every time I see mizuno stuff I always think of two people, Luke Donald and Mark Crossfield, I always remember the way he says Mizuno in his british accent haha. That's really cool that they make balls and putters i wan't aware of that until some random thread came up about mizuno balls last week. Their forged irons and staff bags are supers and I must admit I always stare at the stuff when I watch Marks videos.

I must admit he does have a different out look on a lot of things, this video being one of them.

Exactly. Maybe a little more objective would be nice.
I meant objective, sorry. Everyone has bias to a certain extent. I dont think Ive read a review on anything that didnt have a certain extent of the reviewer's personal bias.

Very good video, IMO... really will make me rethink my R11S bias, I was just about ready to pull the trigger... currently use the G15 as well -- didn't realize that was set up a bit closed? how much ??

Completely agree with all of his comments...the adjustable drivers are great but they encourage fault not to be fixed in beginners.

Very good video, IMO... really will make me rethink my R11S bias, I was just about ready to pull the trigger... currently use the G15 as well -- didn't realize that was set up a bit closed? how much ??

I don't know how much the G15 is closed, but enough so that I was always lined up wrong and it affected my irons as well. I really love the performance of the G15 and plan to call Ping to see if I can get one with a square / neutral face.

It's not set up closed.....he was merely using that example in his demonstration that closing the face doesn't improve your swing it simply mask your mistake for a period of time.

They do have the square/neutral face driver....it's the "I" series.....I15 and I20.....the G series isn't going after the square face/neutral face market.

I don't know how much the G15 is closed, but enough so that I was always lined up wrong and it affected my irons as well. I really love the performance of the G15 and plan to call Ping to see if I can get one with a square / neutral face.

Completely agree with all of his comments...the adjustable drivers are great but they encourage fault not to be fixed in beginners.

Exactly, the only thing a closed face setting when the person has an out to in swing will do is result in a pull. I got my r11 because I liked the idea behind it but I knew it would still require proper technique to get a great shot.

Confused now... so is the Ping G15 face closed or not ?

Confused now... so is the Ping G15 face closed or not ?

Well a lot of drivers I've seen, especially those with higher lofts tend to be a little closed, some of them aren't to noticeable but others like the Burner super fast I used to have were really obnoxiously noticeable. I believe drivers with an open face tend to be the tour versions with lower lofts.

Interesting video for sure. I do know that even with my driver at 3* open I still can hook the crap out of it. I have messed with it in the closed settings and boy that wasnt pretty lol, I bet I could put it 3 fairways over when I had it shut.

Exactly. Everyone wants a quick fix though instead of putting in time fixing their swing.

Exactly right....you're going to be in the left rough instead of the right....if you slow down your release you might be in the left side of fairway but it truly didn't solve your problems.

Exactly, the only thing a closed face setting when the person has an out to in swing will do is result in a pull. I got my r11 because I liked the idea behind it but I knew it would still require proper technique to get a great shot.

Interesting video for sure. I do know that even with my driver at 3* open I still can hook the crap out of it. I have messed with it in the closed settings and boy that wasnt pretty lol, I bet I could put it 3 fairways over when I had it shut.

that's intense! Maybe you should open the face and put it at the lowest loft possible and see if it makes a difference plus the heavy weights on the toe!

Well a lot of drivers I've seen, especially those with higher lofts tend to be a little closed, some of them aren't to noticeable but others like the Burner super fast I used to have were really obnoxiously noticeable. I believe drivers with an open face tend to be the tour versions with lower lofts.
Most of the GI drivers have a closed face because a high-handicapper's miss is to the right. In the drivers for more skilled players, they tend to be neutral or even a bit open because a better player's miss is a hook and the open face eliminates the left side of the course for them.
Its just like with Mizuno where the MX and JPX drivers are slightly closed whereas the MP drivers are square or slightly open. I used to have an MX-700 driver and loved it because it was a cannon but my miss with it was always a hook. So, I went back to an MP driver and am very pleased with it. Now, I almost always hit it either straight or with a very slight fade.

that's intense! Maybe you should open the face and put it at the lowest loft possible and see if it makes a difference plus the heavy weights on the toe!
It is open and toe weighted. I just have a inside out swing that gets a little to inside to out sometimes lol.

I'm a TM guy and I couldn't stand the Burner SF...especially the white one...I couldn't look at it...It was a hook waiting to happen.

Exactly...same thing with the TM drivers in the past that were fixed hozels....Regular versions and the TP versions.

Most of the GI drivers have a closed face because a high-handicapper's miss is to the right. In the drivers for more skilled players, they tend to be neutral or even a bit open because a better player's miss is a hook and the open face eliminates the left side of the course for them.
Its just like with Mizuno where the MX and JPX drivers are slightly closed whereas the MP drivers are square or slightly open. I used to have an MX-700 driver and loved it because it was a cannon but my miss with it was always a hook. So, I went back to an MP driver and am very pleased with it. Now, I almost always hit it either straight or with a very slight fade.

Mark's channel is one of just a few I subscribe to. Good stuff. The kids saying "Rocketballz" in the background for those reviews is awesome. As far as video in the OP, I will be driver shopping soon, hopefully next week, and I really don't know what to think. If I do end up with an adjustable I'll more than likely leave it on the set up I hit best and not tinker after that.

Exactly...same thing with the TM drivers in the past that were fixed hozels....Regular versions and the TP versions.

That's something I'm debating on right now if I should get the tour version with an open face or the adjustable version that I can put at neutral instead

I really like what he's saying, but I argue that for most, it's an ideal solution to the faults in their swing.. Most aren't inclined to get a lesson or apt to determine their swing faults, and having an on the fly adjustment tool for their driver is extremely ideal. For me, I certainly try to make my adjustments without changing the driver. I personally prefer a driver with an open face because I close a bit on impact, but that's extremely consistent for me. I would much rather have a club fit appropriately and work my swing around a consistent design.

Exactly what most people should do....the adjustable driver market totally misses the two most important things to your success....your swing and the shaft....both are more important than face angle or CG.

Mark's channel is one of just a few I subscribe to. Good stuff. The kids saying "Rocketballz" in the background for those reviews is awesome. As far as video in the OP, I will be driver shopping soon, hopefully next week, and I really don't know what to think. If I do end up with an adjustable I'll more than likely leave it on the set up I hit best and not tinker after that.

Back