Appliance Help? (Icemaker)

JRod

Reaction score
Handicap
4.2 USGA
Hey guys I just moved into my new house and decided to make myself a G&T tonight after a hard weekend and went to the ice dispenser an nada. I know for a fact the ice maker worked fine 3 weeks ago when the home inspection was done. Now the tray is completely empty an no ice is being harvested. It's a Kenmore Coldspot Side by side. If anyone has any info or needs the entire model # let me know!

Thanks THP!

That sucks. You can fix it yourself for about $150. I'm not very handy so I never fixed it. I looked into having someone repair it and it was going to cost ~$300. Not sure the exact model you have but for some fridges, its almost the price of a new one. We just buy a bag of ice from Popeye's or the gas station and so far works for us.

Unfortunately, they don't make the ice dispensers like they use to. My parents and a couple of friends of mine all have broken ice dispensers.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

That sucks. You can fix it yourself for about $150. I'm not very handy so I never fixed it. I looked into having someone repair it and it was going to cost ~$300. Not sure the exact model you have but for some fridges, its almost the price of a new one. We just buy a bag of ice from Popeye's or the gas station and so far works for us.

Unfortunately, they don't make the ice dispensers like they use to. My parents and a couple of friends of mine all have broken ice dispensers.

I can fix just about anything I just need help diagnosing the problem. I don't know how to test the water valve or the ice maker. I don't think the tube is frozen i shoved a t-stat probe up it and it didn't seem blocked. I have heaard you can try to start a cycle by dumping water into the ice maker manually but I don't know how much to use.

For whats it worth, mine stopped working awhile after moving in to a new place and it turned out the filter needed to be changed, we did that and it worked again.

For whats it worth, mine stopped working awhile after moving in to a new place and it turned out the filter needed to be changed, we did that and it worked again.

I had that problem once, but the second time mine stopped working I had to replace both solenoids. They are pretty easy to find online and installation is very easy.

I have really good pressure out of the water dispenser so I don't think the filter is the problem although I could be wrong.

I had that problem once, but the second time mine stopped working I had to replace both solenoids. They are pretty easy to find online and installation is very easy.

^^This^^ worse case, the motor could be out. Its not so much the motor but the plastic gears they use. They get stripped or worn out after time.

I shoulda been more specific. I'm not even getting water to the tray. I don't know if the ice maker is not telling it to sen water or the water valve itself is bad.

Mine doesn't send water either. Do you hear like the tray is being filled with water or the motor kicking in?

Mine doesn't send water either. Do you hear like the tray is being filled with water or the motor kicking in?

Nope no noises at all.

From what I was told by the repair guy when I got a quote was that the motor unit controls everything. It could be the solenoid/sensor or the gears worn out. Something out of whack and water won't be sent. This is the extent of my knowledge so hopefully someone more handy can help you out. Good luck J

From what I was told by the repair guy when I got a quote was that the motor unit controls everything. It could be the solenoid/sensor or the gears worn out. Something out of whack and water won't be sent. This is the extent of my knowledge so hopefully someone more handy can help you out. Good luck J

Thanks for the help!

Wish I could help, ours just went out as well. I'll be watching close, lol.

Back