Favorite Bundle/Yard Cigar/Working Cigar?

Hacker Charlie

Reaction score
Handicap
D&D
I'm out of cheap bundle type cigars, and ain't finding anything in town that I like, so I'm thinking about heading over to JR's later today and get a cheap bundle of some kind.

They have the Conesugra's and 5-Star's for $5 off right now. So definitley thinking about trying some of those. Of course I'll also pick up a 5 pack or two of something else, probably some Bolivars and who knows what else... Oh and can't forget their instore "Cigar of the Week" that could change everything depending on what that is! lol

Anyways, I pretty much like cigars that are all over the place as far as tastes go. I haven't found many that I say are staples in my humidor, with the exceptions of Bolivars (its been so long since I've bought any, do they even still just make "Bolivar" seems there are other varieties now), and Oliva G Serie.

So lets here some suggestions for a cheap bundled "utility" cigar.

I always liked the Punch brand. I mostly buy Tampa Nugget types though. They seem to repel the skeeters better. They also repel the wife, which can be a good or bad thing depending on the wife.

Have you ever tried Thompson Cigar? They are a mail order co. There ads seem to good to be true.

No, never tried Thompson, but I've read about alot of people that do. I've always liked Jr's because I am less than 45 minutes from two of their stores.

I do like most anything I've ever tried by Punch, really used to like the "Rare Corojo's", but they are alittle more than a cheap bundle cigar.

It probably sounds like a repeat but I always buy a box of Padron 2000s as my around the house cigar. I think it works out to about 3 bucks a stick.

Consuegra #9's in Maduro are a great yard cigar - robusto size and not too expensive. Also, some of the JR-Alt's are OK. Rocky Patel 2nds are also on sale once in a while at cigar.com or cigars international.

I love walking around and "poking" around at JR's.

I always grab a box of the Drew Estate La Veja...about $60 for 25. There is also a cigar called "The Brick" that is made by Torano that goes for about $3-$4 bucks a stick that is very good for the course.

I like Rocky Patel Vintage 2nds 1990 Torpedo's @ $50 for 15 from Cigars International in Bethlehem, PA . They also have fantastic deals on various samplers. I prefer buying from CI vs Thompson.

I wish JR's was a bit closer to the Canadian border. I visited the Smithfield store in the spring and can't wait to go back. They can't ship tobacco across the border.
I bought one of the mixed bags and was only disappointed with a couple of the 25 cigars.

My favorite bundle cigar is the Flor de Oliva. They are about $35 for 20 and come in natural (sumatra wrapper if I'm not mistaken) a CT wrapper and a maduro. Maduros are good and also a bit more expensive.

If you like maduros, also try some Victor Sinclair Vintage Select. I think they're about $40 for a box of 20 from Cigars Intl.

Has anyone tried out the infamous Cuban cigar and can anyone tell me from where can I buy them..My friend keeps talking about on how cool Cuban cigars are so I figure I should definitely give it a try at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried out the infamous Cuban cigar and can anyone tell me from where can I buy them..My friend keeps talking about on how cool Cuban cigars are so I figure I should definitely give it a try at least.
Cuban Cigars are illegal to buy as a resident of the US, and posting links to a company in your signature is not allowed unless you are a site sponsor

To expand on what Craig Mac has posted... As an American Citizen it is illegal for you to posses a Cuban Cigar...
...even if you are somewhere they are legal, such as Canada or Mexico.

I don't know what the penalty is, or how the hell they would catch you, or what they could really do, but that is how it is written.

Back to the subject at hand...

For an inexpensive day-to-day cigar, I buy Casa de Garcia. They run like 28 or 30 bucks for a bundle of 24, and come in all sizes and varieties.
The wife hates the way they smell, but I can't afford a $12 cigar every day...

I've been a big fan of the JR Alternatives for quite awhile. My personal favorite is the La Gloria Cubana Wavell Alternative although they have a ton of options so I'm sure you could find something you like. Even with all the price increases they're still around $25 bucks for a bundle of 20 which ain't bad for a hand-rolled long filler cigar.

well, I mostly prefer Padron 3000 Series...I hope you like it

Montecristo Cigars are my favorite. They are a must have for cigar lovers. Try them they will give you a great experience.

Larry Lynn (online retail) has some great Nicaraguan bundles under his signature - 25 for less than $35. I usually have a bundle or two of his figurados in the humi. Great for the golf course. JMO of course.

M1 Cusano Robustos are nice. So are the Cigars International Copper Label. For a throw away work cigar, these are great... pretty mild too. Something a bit heavier, some of the Victor Sinclair or Gurkha Empire. These are some of my favorite "cheap" cigars.

Prefer a Romeo y Julieta, Nat sherman, Marshall Daniel Red Label, or Padron Anniversay though... Sometimes a Java or Tabak Especial.

Back