Graphite vs Steel (Irons)

Floppy

Reaction score
Ok, so a while back, my dad bought a Burner XD 6i, stiff graphite shaft from some demo facility just for fun. We both completely forgot about it until today...

First off...I can NOT hit my 5i OR 6i consistently AT ALL. In fact, I've NEVER hit my 5i solid. Ever. The only thing that has prevented me from getting a 4 and 5 hybrid, is the fact that I want the 4DX's to match, and I can't afford two of them. I picked up this 6i today, and was bombing it farther then I've ever hit an iron.

I'm small height-wise... 5'8", and I'm not very strong. My technique allows me to hit some shots pretty far for my size/strength (I can hit my 8i 160, Driver 270max). Today, I realized that I think the steel shafts in the long irons make them too heavy for me. This club was so light and I was consistently bombing it - it felt sooooo good.

Do you have graphite or steel shafts in your irons? Why? What are the pros and cons?

I'm REALLY considering getting some 4DX CB's or 4DX Pros with stiff graphite shafts now.

Graphite as a technology has come a long way and the days of people snapping shafts at ground impact are behind us for the most part. GG has graphite in her irons and I actually love the weighting. My father plays irons with graphite stiff shafts in them and I really like the feel of them.

this question always perplexes me. I have been always told that graphite will give you better distance while sacrificing accuracy. My feeling is that you can work to gain distance but you cannot do the same to gain accuracy. I play steel irons but would like to try graphite on a long term basis just to see.

I prefer steel because they tend to give more feedback. My brother has a set of graphite-shafted irons and while there isnt as much jarring of your wrists at impact, you also dont get much feedback.

Bake,
I think that was the case for a long time, but the new technology in Graphite, gives quite a bit of feedback.

True. I used to find graphite shafts to be really whippy and I never hit them that well, but my 3-wood and my hybrid have graphite shafts (regular flex) and I dont find them to be whippy at all.
I still much prefer steel shafts though.

i had a set of Titleist DCI 762's with Graphite Design shafts in them and i LOVED the way they felt.

Interesting. Good thing I saved my old set of graphite irons. I still love my 3DXs though, especially now that I've gotten my swing under control. So crispy.

i had a set of Titleist DCI 762's with Graphite Design shafts in them and i LOVED the way they felt.

I agree about the Graphite Design shafts! I have a set of Cobra S9's with Graphite Design shafts, senior flex. They are the best feeling graphite shafts I have ever tried.

Now I am a girl, so I have a slower swing speed than you guys. I am also 5'2", so I am short. I have been experimenting with steel shafts. I just got some CG14 wedges with the Nippon 950 shafts in them (95 grams) and I just bought '09 Burner irons with steel shafts. The shafts in the Burners are 85 grams. I am good with the irons through the AW thru 8, but the 7 and 6 are hit/miss. I did not even buy a 5i.

Floppy-IMO, the graphite shafts in the irons do not feel as good as the steel, but it is a matter of personal preference. Maybe you could try some of the lighter weight steel shafts that are available now. My husband just got the Adams A4 tech and they come with Dynamic Gold Superlight shafts. Those are about 105 grams.

If you like the GD shafts in the irons Koko, check out the GD Aura shafts for ladies for drivers. Inexpensive and just about every lady that tried it for our review LOVED IT. IIRC its the Aura Green.

I try my dads MX-17's in Graphite shafts once in a while, wow those clubs are easy to hit.

If you like the GD shafts in the irons Koko, check out the GD Aura shafts for ladies for drivers. Inexpensive and just about every lady that tried it for our review LOVED IT. IIRC its the Aura Green.

I think Adams A4 tech OS hybrids I like also have a Graphite Design shaft in the light/senior flex. I have to double check on that. I was going to buy some new hybrids, but with all the driver deals I figure that they will have hybrid deals soon...

I have steel shafts...

mostly because of the looks of them...

ok...

only because of the looks of them...

what about the aero-tech shafts...anybody try them? supposed to be the best of both worlds

Do you have graphite or steel shafts in your irons? Why? What are the pros and cons?

I'm REALLY considering getting some 4DX CB's or 4DX Pros with stiff graphite shafts now.

Graphite in mine & the reason is this is what the set had in my flex & I like the looks of the graphite shafts. In fact the only clubs I have that are steel shafted are my putters & the Vokey. I have used steel in the past & prefer the forgiving nature of the graphite.

Back