Adjustable driver questions

Johnboy12.5

Reaction score
Handicap
Ghin 9.1
For those that game an adjustable driver......do you ever change the settings. If so, why?

When I gamed the R9 Supertri, I never touched them.

I've gamed the r9 460, r11, and Supertri and have messed with weight and shaft adjustments on each of them. I've done it for different reasons- mainly just wanting to see if the ball flight changed to my liking.

I change the settings fairly often.

I've only changed mine once. Increased the loft.

You know when the whole adjustable club came on the scene I did mess with the settings all the time. But now I set it and forget it. No need to mess with what is working.

Once I found what was working best, I didn't change it. If you start changing it all the time you'll drive yourself crazy.

You know when the whole adjustable club came on the scene I did mess with the settings all the time. But now I set it and forget it. No need to mess with what is working.

It's still new to me. I just can'[t decide if I want it open, square or closed!

I set my r11 up with +.5 loft, Neutral face and draw weight configuration

I set it up like that, got it re-gripped and it stays that way

When I first got my R11S I played around with all the settings. I tried different weights in the club, face plate angles and the loft settings. After tweaking with the settings and seeing what worked best over a couple range sessions I choose a setting and haven't changed it since. I've had the same settings since May and have been very happy as I'm hitting my driver better than I've ever hit it.

I got my first adjustable club this season, not because it was adjustable, I honestly usually forget these features. I don't even think I have taken the wrench out of the bag.

I adjusted the open/closed part only once or twice but messed with the weights quite a bit.

Just got my Razr Fit Last Sunday and I changed the settings that next day on the range. Tinkered with it for some time and finally I have it adjusted to my liking. I dont think i'll be changing the settings anytime soon though. I really like it where it's at now.

I have my Razr fit set on draw bias with a square face but if i'm playing on a really windy day i'll close the face lowering my ball flight a little

It's still new to me. I just can'[t decide if I want it open, square or closed!

Smalls I would head out late one day on an elevated tee and hit a few balls with each setting. The setting the produces the best ball for your swing should be the setting you chooses.
You're going to have miss hits no matter what setting you choose. The key is to focus in what feels and looks the best.
For me a closed setting is horrible, I get snip hooks. An open setting works 60% of the time and neutral is the bees knees.

When I gamed the R9 Supertri, I never touched them.

Same here. I try different shafts, but I haven't really changed weights or open/closed. I LOVE the ability to change shafts. Maybe if I had a R11 or R11s I tinker more with lofts, maybe weights.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was just curious. I'm pondering the new Ping and was wondering if I could or would adjust it depending on the course and weather conditions. Playing a 9* that I was fit for is great when the fairways are as hard as they currently are, but on those lift, clean and place or out and out frog stranglers rounds I might like a driver with a little more loft to help with my overall carry.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was just curious. I'm pondering the new Ping and was wondering if I could or would adjust it depending on the course and weather conditions. Playing a 9* that I was fit for is great when the fairways are as hard as they currently are, but on those lift, clean and place or out and out frog stranglers rounds I might like a driver with a little more loft to help with my overall carry.

If you have a really consistent swing then changing the loft based on the weather conditions might well work for you. My own experience with my rather inconsistent swing has been that it doesn't help at all. There is a lot to be said though for trying a higher loft than your ego wants you to. Higher often means straighter.

I remember watching some videos of the Taylormade staffers talking about the FCT and how they could lower it if they were going to play in the wind and all, I personally just use tee height or a bit of ball position to control that but changing the loft could work too.

I would suggest that you go and try all the drivers you can and see what fits you best and maybe a fitting will help you get the shaft you need too

When I have had adjustable clubs I always seem to leave the face at neutral but sometimes messed with the weight ports, mostly for higher/lower flight as opposed to rights draw/fade.

I game a 9* R11 driver and I initially adjust it to maximize accuracy and distance, then I rarely touch the adjustments after dialing them in. I set the loft to 8*, face to closed, and put a 16 gram weight in the heel and 1 gram weight in the toe. I like the 16 gram weight over the stock 10 gram weight in the heel to better offset the power fade I get from the 8* loft. This keeps me around 280-285 yards carry and 300 yards total distance and straight. I can then draw or fade simply by changing my release. It's much more difficult for me to achieve all of this without an adjustable driver and use lead tape which looks ugly. Certainly not impossible, just difficult. I have several shafts which I can easily swap out and experiment with for ball flight. How I ever survived without an adjustable driver is a mystery. I'm glad I don't need adjustability in my fairway woods.

Last edited:
I like how you can fine tune but after I find a setting, I just keep there. I do like the option to swap out shafts. That's if the manufacturer sells them. Which is a reason I'm starting to dislike Nike.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

Never thought about the changing shafts part. I just assumed that the shaft you get for the RBZ TP is what you get. I'll have to check into this. We were thinking about changing based on wind and weather conditions. It's probably getting too finicky, but does anyone change their settings based on a say a strong wind coming one direction, then your prevailing course direction starts to come back so now the wind is coming from the other side mostly. Obviously I don't see anyone changing from hole to hole. Even changing in the middle of a round is probably too finicky, but just curious.

Never thought about the changing shafts part. I just assumed that the shaft you get for the RBZ TP is what you get. I'll have to check into this. We were thinking about changing based on wind and weather conditions. It's probably getting too finicky, but does anyone change their settings based on a say a strong wind coming one direction, then your prevailing course direction starts to come back so now the wind is coming from the other side mostly. Obviously I don't see anyone changing from hole to hole. Even changing in the middle of a round is probably too finicky, but just curious.

There are probably people that do change it during a round, just remember not to do it during any official round. I find that having the adjustments is too much of a temptation for me. My driver is everywhere right now so I should be using stock settings until I get it consistent but I'm still tinkering with it all the time and have no idea what it's really doing.

Man when I had the R11 I got a full weight kit to go with it. Holy tinkering, I think I changed it after every 5 balls at the range sometimes just to mess with it. It's fun to experiment.

Back