Short Game Practice

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
How many of you practice your short game with the same style of ball you play? I would think it would be beneficial to do so but just curious.

I do. It just makes sense to practice with the same tendencies I see on the course.

I definitely do. When practicing putting and the rest of my short game it makes the most sense to use what ball I will be using on the course so I know how it reacts and what to expect.

Tap Tap Taparoo

I don't typically play a single kind of ball over time. The characteristics may be similar (Pro v1, pro v1x, srixon, pentas, etc.) but they are different. I generally just use range balls to practice my short game since many courses around me don't have short game practice areas and don't allow chipping on the putting green. This forces me to the range for my practice. I try to go to one side of the range or when it isn't crowded so I can put headcovers at various distances to work on distance control. For most shots, I don't find that the different balls have that much of an impact.

It took me forever to convince my top HS kid that part of his short game problem was he wasn't practicing with his gamer ball type. I finally bought him a dozen Prov1 X's on the promise they are only for his short game practice. He is MUCH better at his short game now.....

Now if he will just stop using 3-4 different brands his distance control will improve......Kids!!

hackin

I putt with the same ball but I don't chip with that ball. I'm lucky enough to be at a course that has practice pro v1 balls at the driving range and chipping green so that's what I use. I putt with my Bridgestone balls though.

It depends on what short game practice I am doing. If it's at the course, then yes, I am using my own ball that I play with. If I am at the range near the house, I am using range balls, and usually just working on my short game swing/stance/etc.

the only reason i'd lose a ball at my short game facility is if i shank one horridly, and that usually (note: USUALLY) doesn't happen, so why wouldn't you practise with the same ball you play with? isn't this kind of like "do you practise with the same clubs you play with" only a less expensive version?

How many of you practice your short game with the same style of ball you play? I would think it would be beneficial to do so but just curious.

Unless it's a limited session, I usually just take 20-30 range balls and chip with them.. I am far more concerned with my chipping motion than I am the results on the practice green.

When I work on my short game its usually in the back yard and I work on distance control and I use my gamer balls.

I mostly work on short game in my back yard. My yellow lab has convinced me that using gamer balls is a bad idea. Bridgestone balls may not have a seam but she can still peel a cover in under 2 minutes. Throw out some old balls and she will leave them alone but a shiny new one is more than she can handle.

I try to use the same ball but the chipping greens at my practice facility are so deformed from so many impacts that it doesn't really matter since the landing is never ever consistent.

The only time I practice with a ball other than my normal playing ball is when hitting the rocks at the range. Chips, pitches, putts and anything from 65 yards and in, I practice with the balls in my bag. We're lucky to have a couple of practice greens with a fairly long approach area to practice on. The one's with the approach aren't much for putting on, but great for short game and sand practice.

The only time I practice with a ball other than my normal playing ball is when hitting the rocks at the range. Chips, pitches, putts and anything from 65 yards and in, I practice with the balls in my bag. We're lucky to have a couple of practice greens with a fairly long approach area to practice on. The one's with the approach aren't much for putting on, but great for short game and sand practice.

Me too, this way I know that I'm practicing with the ball I use to observe consistency.

Same as War Eagle. It just depends. If I'm practicing 50-100 yards I'm most likely using range balls. Around the practice green is different.

I always make it a point to use the ball that I play for chipping and putting.

I putt with the same ball but I don't chip with that ball. I'm lucky enough to be at a course that has practice pro v1 balls at the driving range and chipping green so that's what I use. I putt with my Bridgestone balls though.

I've never seen a course that has Pro Vs at the practice area. I would imagine people steal them all the time.

I've never seen a course that has Pro Vs at the practice area. I would imagine people steal them all the time.

It's not as bad as you would think, but you will find some scattered all over the course on occasion.

Back