onehopandstop

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey I'm from Canada and its almost winter. I was just wondering
how you guys practice during the winter

last year I signed up for an indoor/simulator league. It was pretty funny and helped keep my swing somewhat normal throughout the winter.

I just bundle up and play, as long as there is no snow on the ground! Course, that's a bit easier in Maryland than Canada!

I play all through the "winter" at most we get some freezes that delay the tee times or some snow that when it melts stays on the dark sides of the greens that are in the shadows.

Anyways, I play all year round and sometimes the game is much harder in the winter but hey-winter rules. . .

3 words: indoor putting green.

Sent from Tapatalk

We have a couple indoor golf ranges with sand bunkers and chipping & putting greens to practice on. I try and go there once a week in the winter.

I'll keep heading out to the course until they close. Just got to wear a couple layers but it's not too bad if you're walking and keep moving. There's also an outdoor driving range a couple minutes down the road that has heaters in every stall that I try to get to as often as possible. For putting, I'll just do some carpet putting at my house.

Will play through most of the winter, but on those colder days, there is a heated outdoor range with lights close by. Only have mats, but better than nothing.

LtEvO TaPpEd

I too am Canadian, I typically go to the small indoor range we have here a few times. I think a bunch of us from work are going to do simulators as well.

When I lived on the OBX in N Carolina we usually played all year round, barring snow (a few days) or frost..Some days we had to wait a few hours for the frost to melt..But you bundled up with layers and a good wool hat..And sunglasses to cut down the wind on your eyes, it is always windy on the OBX..And some guys had cart covers with heaters..Some days it was uncomfortable but it beat hanging out at the house...I'm sure Canada is a different story...

Will play through most of the winter, but on those colder days, there is a heated outdoor range with lights close by. Only have mats, but better than nothing.

LtEvO TaPpEd
Thank god for Family Sports Center haha. Life saver in the winter's!

I played all winter last year as the snow tends to melt rather quick here. Although frozen greens make it hard to work on your iron/wedge game. I learned a lot about bump and running approaches though. I also joined an indoor practice facility. Dan at Striker Golf really helped my swing and got me on the path to playing better golf.

Never thought about playing golf in the winter until I joined THP. Now I have updated my winter clothes so that I can play! I am looking forward to my first round in the cool/cold when it arrives. Until then, I will enjoy these mid-70 to low-80 days.

I started playing golf in January of this year and haven't stopped, it never really go too cold here last year and I would try to go out at 10:00 or later so it would have time to warm up a little bit. I would just dress in layers so if I got too warm I could take one off. Definitely invest in some good warm clothing it will pay off when you are golfing. The good thing around here is that even though the fairways and rough are dormant the greens are usually in great shape since most of them are bent grass and do really well in the cooler weather.

I play all through the "winter" at most we get some freezes that delay the tee times or some snow that when it melts stays on the dark sides of the greens that are in the shadows.

Anyways, I play all year round and sometimes the game is much harder in the winter but hey-winter rules. . .

Mr Satchmo,
Isn't it true that you can't play winter rules while wearing shorts?

Googled that "winter" thing. Seems really inconvenient. :D

We have some freeze delays and other then that, golf here is pretty much a year around sport. I don't play in the rain (had way too much "quality time" in my .mil career) so that kept me from playing maybe 4 or 5 times last year.

I will do more indoor putting practice and/or chipping practice in the backyard Nov-Feb.

Back