Red Bull Stratos Event

trae*

no post ***** aka"active"
Reaction score
Handicap
didnt see a previous thread on this so...

if anyone is interested they are streaming this live ....
http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

Red Bull Stratos, a mission to the edge of space, will attempt to transcend human limits that have existed for 50 years. Supported by a team of experts Felix Baumgartner plans to ascend to 120,000 feet in a stratospheric balloon and make a freefall jump rushing toward earth at supersonic speeds before parachuting to the ground. His attempt to dare atmospheric limits holds the potential to provide valuable medical and scientific research data for future pioneers.
The Red Bull Stratos team brings together the world's leading minds in aerospace medicine, engineering, pressure suit development, capsule creation and balloon fabrication. It includes retired United States Air Force Colonel Joseph Kittinger, who holds three of the records Felix will strive to break.
Joe's record jump from 102,800 ft in 1960 was during a time when no one knew if a human could survive a jump from the edge of space. Joe was a Captain in the U.S. Air Force and had already taken a balloon to 97,000 feet in Project ManHigh and survived a drogue mishap during a jump from 76,400 feet in Excelsior I. The Excelsior III mission was his 33rd parachute jump.
Although researching extremes was part of the program's goals, setting records wasn't the mission's purpose. Joe ascended in helium balloon launched from the back of a truck. He wore a pressurized suit on the way up in an open, unpressurized gondola. Scientific data captured from Joe's jump was shared with U.S. research personnel for development of the space program. Today Felix and his specialized team hope to take what was learned from Joe's jumps more than 50 years ago and press forward to test the edge of the human envelope.

30 seconds..godspeed crazy man godspeed

Interesting. I'd like to see this.

just posted this 4 minutes earlier smalls

Red Bull funded this? Well, that makes even less sense.

Well there was a countdown timer and it went to 0:00 but looks like he is still on the ground. I guess he's going up in a balloon and it will just release him? I don't know, but I wouldn't want to hit the ground in a free fall!

I can't see anything. All it says is "Please stand by, starting soon."

just posted this 4 minutes earlier smalls

I saw the thread, but didn't look at it. I thought it was something about the drink! hahaha

Oh well, merged!

I'm trying to watch from phone but getting error from the site for too many users :(

Dan

Sent via Tapatalk on my Samsung galaxy s3

I can't see anything. All it says is "Please stand by, starting soon."

click the link i posted its live..they are having issues with the wind it seems .. maybe delayed again

I saw the thread, but didn't look at it. I thought it was something about the drink! hahaha

Oh well, merged!

LOL no worries and they just aborted it for today WTF

Well I guess we have to stay tuned tomorrow.

It has been loading for about 3 minutes for me.

Edit: Better luck tomorrow.

well, all that excitement for nothing.

Looks like they aborted

Aw man, I guess we'll have to watch tomorrow then.

update : the next launch window for perfect weather is this sunday the 14th

He's at it again today.

New target launch: 845AM MDT/245PM GMT Sunday October 14th (They just said the new target time is noon, ET)

A LIVE webcast of the Red Bull Stratos will be live streamed at http://www.youtube.com/redbull and http://www.redbullstratos.com

Red Bull Stratos is a mission to the edge of space that will try to surpass human limits that have existed for more than 50 years. Supported by a team of experts, Felix Baumgartner will undertake a stratospheric balloon flight to more than 120,000 feet / 36,576 meters and make a record-breaking freefall jump in the attempt to become the first man to break the speed of sound in freefall (an estimated 690 miles / 1,110 kilometers per hour), while delivering valuable data for medical and scientific advancement.

Back