Want to get better? Seriously, play the right tees...

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Sunday I went out to play and played well. I shot 85 with nines of 42 and 43. I had several good looks at birdie which didn't drop and a few poor decisions which caused some doubles, or else the solid 85 had a chance of being a really special round. I had a blast and came off the course feeling positive and energized.

I played the white tees during that round, which are just over 6,000 yards.

Today I went back to play nine, and decided "You know, I'm an OK golfer. 6,000 yards is too short. I should be playing the big-boy tees." So I decided to test myself and play the blues at 6,600 yards.

What a difference a set of tees make. On holes that are clearly designed to be a 3-wood off the tee, I was forced to hit driver. But the hole wasn't intended to be a driver hole, so it took an absolute perfect drive to not find trouble. On another hole that had a forced carry, I had to play so far away from the hole to make it over the water, I left myself 220 to the hole, with a heavily guarded green with water in front. When playing from the whites, I was able to hit a tee shot that left me 130 yards away.

I constantly found myself in bad position, either forcing me to play the hole as a GIR+1, or forcing myself to pull off a perfect long iron to give myself a chance at a par. Twice I took penalties on wayward drives because I was trying to get too much out of them.

In short, by playing from the wrong tees, I was making myself hit shots that were above my pay grade.

I shot 49, ESC adjusted to 48. I left the course feeling frustrated and deflated.

I've realized I'm simply not a good enough golfer to have a chance of posting a good score from the blue tees on most courses. To be more specific, I'm good enough - but I'm not long enough. If I'm going to play from the blues, I need to adjust my expectations. I need to play every hole as GIR+1 unless I happen to hit a great drive, and therefore I need to be happy if my score is 95 or better. On the other hand, if I want to achieve what I feel is a "good" score for me, i.e. in the 80's, then I need to get my butt up to the whites, where I can play the hole as it was designed. If I ever improve my golf game to where my average drive is 250-ish rather than the 215-220 it is now, that's when I can move back to the blues and keep the same score expectations.

So, the point is, if you're frustrated with your scores, move up. Play the course as it was designed. The designers had no intention of forcing you to hit driver on every hole and 4-iron into every green. So stop forcing it on yourself.

I think that should be everyone's thought in general, play from the set of tees that you are most comfortable playing. I'm sure that will make the game more enjoyable. But I do like to challenge myself every now and then and will move back and give it a go. Kind of gives me a different perspective on the course and most definitely makes me think about each shot more.

yeah teeing it forward is cool

I wish ddec and I could have done that at pga national. Hitting hybos into every par 4 wasn't fun

I wish ddec and I could have done that at pga national. Hitting hybos into every par 4 wasn't fun

We played that 1 driver-wedge. We rocked.

Good post wade, I'm fast approaching mid 40's . Been playing white tees for over 5 years now , and I love them beyond love them . My playing time is limited , so this is the best option to keep enjoying the game we all love . Can't wait until I can play the senior tees .. I'm one who can't wait

When u play less than 20 rounds a year move them up and have fun

Nice read Wade. I haven't even thought about what tee's I'm playing. Just normally go to the ones that the rest of the group is playing.

Tee it forward, score well and have fun. Most importantly have fun.

We played that 1 driver-wedge. We rocked.

Was that on a Par 3? :act-up:

I agree with the sentiment whole-heartedly...there is nothing more aggravating than playing a course that is too long and having to hit hybrids and FWs into every Par 4.

Was that on a Par 3? :act-up:

I agree with the sentiment whole-heartedly...there is nothing more aggravating than playing a course that is too long and having to hit hybrids and FWs into every Par 4.

hey now!

I'm a short hitter. Moving back a set of tees just adds strokes to my score. I play from the whites and I'm proud of it.

Great advice. At 62, I've been playing the whites for 6-7 years and it has made golf a lot more enjoyable and a lot less frustrating. Drive, hybo into par 4s get real old real fast.

so does it make you a better golfer or just make you score and enjoy the game more?

100% AGREE.I am about having fun and scoring to the best of my ability. My ego was put in check years ago.

Great post wade, everyone definitely needs to play the right tees for their game and their distances.

I believe we played it from 6250 or something.

so does it make you a better golfer or just make you score and enjoy the game more?

This is a good question. On one hand, better is nothing more than score despite what many think. On the other, games that travel are "better".

Nice read Wade. I haven't even thought about what tee's I'm playing. Just normally go to the ones that the rest of the group is playing.

I do the same thing bullfrog. When I play with my coworkers, I just go back to the blues with them. But these are guys who can drive it 250+ without breaking a sweat. I get frustrated they're shooting in the 80's while I'm in the 90's. Well no freaking duh! Move them 40 yards back and they'd struggle to break 90 too. So why am I moving myself back 40 yards?

I'm going to stop playing the blues just because that's where the group is. As I said, my big epiphany today wasn't that I played worse golf, it was that I put myself into impossible situations. I put myself into a situation where an over 90 round was basically a foregone conclusion before I hit the first tee shot.

Nope, not going to do it anymore by choice. If I am in a situation where I have to play the blues because of tournament rules, I'm simply going to adjust my expectations of my score and how I play the hole.

Both

both.. Felt guilty first few years . Driver wedge/ or almost drive a par 4 . But after a while , I realized how relaxed I felt and how much I was actually enjoying golf and others company who joined me . And happiness at golf is the real secret ; at the end of the day it doesn't matter what tee . Just what you scored

This is a good question. On one hand, better is nothing more than score despite what many think. On the other, games that travel are "better".

exactly. I'm smart enough to not go out and play tips or tees that are an uncomfortable yardage for me. I have rounds during the year when I will play from a shorter yardage, even the ladies tees on nights when I play with Jenn. Those rounds are fun. Scoring better is fun. However I really don't think those rounds make me a better golfer. Flip side I don't think the tips make me a better golfer either. Want to get better? Take lessons, practice what you learn in those lessons, spend time at the range, work on your short game. Tee selection doesn't seem to improve my game, maybe my scores. Although the scores are there with the same lousy game.

I do the same thing bullfrog. When I play with my coworkers, I just go back to the blues with them. But these are guys who can drive it 250+ without breaking a sweat. I get frustrated they're shooting in the 80's while I'm in the 90's. Well no freaking duh! Move them 40 yards back and they'd struggle to break 90 too. So why am I moving myself back 40 yards?

I'm going to stop playing the blues just because that's where the group is. As I said, my big epiphany today wasn't that I played worse golf, it was that I put myself into impossible situations. I put myself into a situation where an over 90 round was basically a foregone conclusion before I hit the first tee shot.

Nope, not going to do it anymore by choice. If I am in a situation where I have to play the blues because of tournament rules, I'm simply going to adjust my expectations of my score and how I play the hole.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone in my group wanting to play a tee up. I don't think many would either.

Good question Dean. I don't think it changes the golfer that I am at all.

Let's say Dan can shoot 75 from the blues (which he can). If someone forced him to move back 40 yards on every hole, he's likely to shoot more like 82-85. Did he become a worse golfer?

I'm simply not going to score well relative to par when I'm playing a hole that's 30% longer than my reach. Perhaps the answer is that playing the right distance provides a truer indication of my overall golf game.

Great thread, the game is so.much more enjoyable when you play the right tees.

I agree with this 100% I'm out there to have fun and struggling to be on green in 3 is not fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question Dean. I don't think it changes the golfer that I am at all.

Let's say Dan can shoot 75 from the blues (which he can). If someone forced him to move back 40 yards on every hole, he's likely to shoot more like 82-85. Did he become a worse golfer?

I'm simply not going to score well relative to par when I'm playing a hole that's 30% longer than my reach. Perhaps the answer is that playing the right distance provides a truer indication of my overall golf game.

It can make the golfer worse in relation to handicap. It shouldn't, but the system is flawed in that aspect. Get to single digit on a short course. Then travel somewhere and play even slightly longer distances and see how you score in relation to handicap.

I believe we played it from 6250 or something.

I know it was fine, just so happened dean and I needed something in the 5100 range

Back