Woodworking / Furniture Building

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.

It's still standing, but since the rain is letting up I expect them to reopen the landing this week so I need to figure it out soon ;)

I know most of the mill owners around here so it wouldn't be a problem getting it sawed and I have a pole barn that's dry with good ventilation so I'll probably just let it air dry after getting it cut. I'm also thinking about cross cutting it and using the pieces for small table tops and lamp stands.

I really need to bust out a chainsaw and take about 30" off the smaller end and debark it for a new anvil stump. My old one is starting to crack and I had to shrink a metal band around it the other day for reinforcement.

Bought an old kitchen set off craigslist for 80 bucks. It's solid wood, but was in rough shape. Already sanded the top and finished it with just butcher block oil and it looks perfect
f6a200693694e6cf625c40466d0a6373.jpg

Just need to sand and paint the legs eventually.

Bought an old kitchen set off craigslist for 80 bucks. It's solid wood, but was in rough shape. Already sanded the top and finished it with just butcher block oil and it looks perfect
f6a200693694e6cf625c40466d0a6373.jpg

Just need to sand and paint the legs eventually.

Looks good. You'll just have to keep up with the oil to keep it looking that way.

If you air dry the wood it'll be more temperamental with movement; meaning even after finished cut the boards will expand and contract due to changes in weather.

If your going to make furniture or cabinets kiln dried is the only way to go, unless you mortise and tenon everything together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm only going to use wood for the tops. I'm thinking about making some cross cuts at like a 30 degree angle so the finished slab will have exposed end grain. I have never worked with wood this size so I'm just making it up as I go :act-up:

The legs and hardware will be forged steel, reclaimed wrought iron with copper and bronze accents depending on availability of materials and how a couple of test pieces turn out.

If you air dry the wood it'll be more temperamental with movement; meaning even after finished cut the boards will expand and contract due to changes in weather.

If your going to make furniture or cabinets kiln dried is the only way to go, unless you mortise and tenon everything together.

Even kiln dried will move with changes in humidity. If movement is taken into account there shouldn't be any problems. Kiln dried is preferable in most cases (walnut being an exception), but air dried is certainly acceptable for furniture so long as it is fully dried.

Plus, with climate controlled interiors being the norm, humidity swings and accommodating wood movement are minimized.

I'm only going to use wood for the tops. I'm thinking about making some cross cuts at like a 30 degree angle so the finished slab will have exposed end grain. I have never worked with wood this size so I'm just making it up as I go :act-up:

The legs and hardware will be forged steel, reclaimed wrought iron with copper and bronze accents depending on availability of materials and how a couple of test pieces turn out.

If you're looking for ideas or inspiration here's a good place to start:

http://www.juvetwoodwork.com/

Even kiln dried will move with changes in humidity. If movement is taken into account there shouldn't be any problems. Kiln dried is preferable in most cases (walnut being an exception), but air dried is certainly acceptable for furniture so long as it is fully dried.

Plus, with climate controlled interiors being the norm, humidity swings and accommodating wood movement are minimized.

I typo'd yes kiln will still move with moisture/temp changes.

Air is fine for mortise and tenon work in furniture especially if you putting on lacquer or another sealant which will minimize swelling/shrinkage. If using a finish like witches brew or wax you can get quite varied swing in expansion/contraction although the type of wood and grain character in the pieces will be the determining factors in how it'll move.

My bed is full mortise and tenon with a witches brew finish and even with AC/heat it still moves and rales need to be adjusted. My dressers do as well and the are mortise and tenon and lacquered.

To try and combat any movement always run pieces that will be glued together with grains going opposite directions. If your using one wide board rip it into 3or4 inch wide pieces and glue back together this will limit movement and 99% of people will never notice and those who do will know why.

This is a piece made from air dried material:

1314899186.jpg

I have a 20" wide piece of mahogany that I still need to figure out something to do with. No chance I'm going to rip and reglue that.

Very nice JohnSinVA.

Looks good dude!

Why not? You can make a table top out of it.

Looks good dude!

Why not? You can make a table top out of it.

That was the plan for it and I had a candidate table where it would have been enough for half the top. When I saw what it would cost for enough material for the other half I elected to use a different species.

Haha ya mahogany is expensive especially Honduras which they quit exporting(at least for a while). Sapele has a very similar pattern and color as Honduran Mahogany since they are of the same species just grown in different locations.

Haha ya mahogany is expensive especially Honduras which they quit exporting(at least for a while). Sapele has a very similar pattern and color as Honduran Mahogany since they are of the same species just grown in different locations.

That might actually be what that piece is. The guy I got it from called it mahogany so I took him at his word. He was moving and it was in a stack with some other material plus the solid core door I wanted for a benchtop. Got the lot for $50 so I'm not complaining.

With it being that wide I'm guessing it Honduran and from years ago unless he paid a fortune for it in the last couple yrs. I know of one local yard that has boards that wide and it's crazy $$$ and I've never seen sapele that wide.

In the home stretch on another project. About time since I started it last year. Philadelphia card table:

temporary_zpsfyuz3kuw.jpg

There is some beautiful work in here guys!

Finish underway. Will let it cure another day or so before the topcoat:

WP_20150811_015_zpskwxxezil.jpg

I love golf, love snowboarding, and love woodworking. Check out my website, www.myonko.com for a preview of my custom furniture!

I love golf, love snowboarding, and love woodworking. Check out my website, www.myonko.com for a preview of my custom furniture!

Beautiful work. Would be great if you posted some build along pics of a project in progress.

Beautiful work. Would be great if you posted some build along pics of a project in progress.
Thanks! My work is largely inspired by previous time spent in Japan, with carpenters and snowboarders in that region.

I'd love to post more progress pictures, and will do so in the future. But I just went back to work as a field carpenter, so my site may slow down for the next couple of months.

A few weeks ago my wife mentioned she thought we should get my daughter a jewelry box for her birthday in February. I told her instead of buying one it might be fun to make one for her that she can someday treasure (she is only 4 now. I'm just about finished up and wanted to share the results. It's definitely not perfect but it was a fun project.
15%2B-%2B2

15%2B-%2B1

A few weeks ago my wife mentioned she thought we should get my daughter a jewelry box for her birthday in February. I told her instead of buying one it might be fun to make one for her that she can someday treasure (she is only 4 now. I'm just about finished up and wanted to share the results. It's definitely not perfect but it was a fun project.
15%2B-%2B2

15%2B-%2B1

Nice work! She will definitely love it and will be proud to say that "Daddy made it for me!"

And they're not imperfections, that's hand craftsmanship! Walnut and maple?

Well done indeed!

Very nice work! My wife has been bugging me for one for years. Maybe I'll use yours for inspiration!

Back