long vs hazardous

Reaction score
Handicap
As i listen to some of the hightlights from the CMIB tourny on the golf channel I wondered this question. For the average golfer what is more difficult to play, length or a more challenging setup ?

I think it would be the more challenging setup. When you have to start placing your shots instead of just bombing away, things get more difficult.

That is true but what i notice as i play when courses set up there holes, hazards that dont bother you playing 150 ( bunkers, near green water etc ) all of a sudden come into play.

I think I would rather play a longer course than a challenging set up, I tend to score lower on longer courses than those with a difficult lay out.

id rather play a target golf course than a long one
length is a big problem for me that im constantly struggling with

See i dont know satchmo. As long as im hitting my irons decent and hitting my driver some semblance of straight, I really just prefer to play whatever course is nicest and best kept. Some of my best rounds( minus putting) were on the courses that in my expirience the most difficult in Cherry Hill and Autumn ridge.

If you go to extremes, I think the long courses are going to be more difficult.

Long course but wide open where you still can't even get to par 4s in 2, or very short course with very tight fairways but can reach par 4s in 2 even when teeing off with a hybrid/long iron off the tee.

You're asking our opinion. Instead of telling us why we are wrong and why you are right, just give your opinion and listen to everyone else. I didn't realize this was going to be a thread of I'm right, you're wrong.

No one is wrong. It's all opinion.

See i dont know satchmo. As long as im hitting my irons decent and hitting my driver some semblance of straight, I really just prefer to play whatever course is nicest and best kept. Some of my best rounds( minus putting) were on the courses that in my expirience the most difficult in Cherry Hill and Autumn ridge.

Well I guess if consistency isn't an issue than a challenging course is fine, sometimes I lose my ball a bit to the left and to the right so I have to be accurate to play a challenging layout course with strategic bunkers and other hazards that can screw up my game

I wasnt aiming to make this a challenge just opinions. I just wanted to know why people make that choice. When im hitting my clubs as i would expect to unlike last weekend *ahem pipestone ahem* i have the power to get to anyhole from anywhere to include a duffed driver or deep par 3 , so i actually prefer more difficult courses because i find they for extra concentration over courses that are just long.

i work at a course and its top 3 longest in this area... tipping at about 7200
as you can imagine i play alot... i mean alot of golf
and i play with tons of ppl from friends to random strangers
i can honestly say well over 90% of the ppl ive played with dont have the distance/skill to play from the tips
i consider myself a very short knocker and avg just shy of about 230ish with my driver
my bread and butter is short game because im not gonna hit too many greens especially when i play back and way back(we have 5 sets of tees)
a shorter target golf course allows me to use my strengths as long as i trust my distances for that day(and my gps)
a long course puts alot more pressure on my short game due to the fact that ill probably miss way more greens when im taking much longer clubs for approaches
i think this is one of the big reasons i struggle on par5's and am money on par3's shorter than 200yrds

For the better half of the season my irons were money from the 5 down with my 5i playing around 205 has lent me to enjoy longer courses where as my driver is long (300 plus on occassion) but inconsistent. What i prefer and what i may be best at can very from day to day.

I wasnt aiming to make this a challenge just opinions. I just wanted to know why people make that choice. When im hitting my clubs as i would expect to unlike last weekend *ahem pipestone ahem* i have the power to get to anyhole from anywhere to include a duffed driver or deep par 3 , so i actually prefer more difficult courses because i find they for extra concentration over courses that are just long.

i don't understand what this post means....

Anywho..... i think challenging courses are more difficult than a long course for the average golfer. hazards are the only reason i have blow up holes usually anymore if i lose a ball OB or in a water hazard i'm going to possibly take a double on that hole if its long i still have chance even when missing on my second shot to scramble and get up and down and make a par. but if i'm OB and have to hit 3 off the tee cause of a tight course i'm screwed before i even am off the tee box.

No one is wrong. It's all opinion.

You're wrong. In my opinion.

How long is long? Sometimes difficult short courses play a lot longer. A long course with long carries over hazards is pretty rough.

I'm going to say both long and challenging are difficult.

Kevin

for me i hate any course that forces you to lay up on a hole lol. my short game sux bad i can chip and drive thats it. that probally has to do with thats all i do on my home course. i cant putt or hit iorns for crap. so for me the more technical courses are a lot tougher give me a course that has all par 5s and i think ill shoot par easy.

For me it's length, I can and will hit irons or 3 wood off the tee, but a 7000 yard course will kill me. I am not a long hitter like most here and as well as I can hit my long irons and wedges it's just too difficult for me, eventually it takes its toll.

I'm with trout bum.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

7,000 yards is too long for most everybody.

Kevin

For me it's length, I can and will hit irons or 3 wood off the tee, but a 7000 yard course will kill me. I am not a long hitter like most here and as well as I can hit my long irons and wedges it's just too difficult for me, eventually it takes its toll.

TB, this is the Internet. I'm crazy long dude!

I kinda stole this from JB in another thread!

I don't know, I thought u were dialed in at pipestone, especially on 18

I don't know, I thought u were dialed in at pipestone, especially on 18
If u think that you should have watched my shot from the tee on 17. I think that could have gotten me on the tour. Just ask bogey.

7,000 yards is too long for most everybody.

Kevin
i think its not the total yardage(for me anyway)... ive played the tips at 7200
its the 230-250yrd par3's that are brutal... the middle tees long par3 is around 180... thats a huge difference
driver or 5i... ill take the 5i please hahaha

The OP only asked length vs challenging. He never said 7,000 yards, nor did he say long AND challenging. I am just going on the assumption that he means the longer course is not as penalizing with misses.

Compared to a short course that places a premium on shot placement, I think a longer (not 7,000 yards) course that is not penal with the misses would be less difficult.

i think its not the total yardage(for me anyway)... ive played the tips at 7200
its the 230-250yrd par3's that are brutal... the middle tees long par3 is around 180... thats a huge difference

Your definately onto somethign with that. Hitting from the fairway from 225 is a whole lot easier then hitting from the tee box at 225.

Your definately onto somethign with that. Hitting from the fairway from 225 is a whole lot easier then hitting from the tee box at 225.

why is that? i think thats the exact opposite. you can use a tee on the tee box and the tee box should always be flat.

Back