Create Your Own Project X Shaft - #TheHandCraftedExperience THP Event

Wow that was quick :) I meant to post that in the activities/extra rounds thread and I wasn't very clear of my actual intent. I'm definitely getting going with a driver for this event. That was meant for discussion in the other thread for something I was planning to try for a bit. No way I'm putting the custom shaft in anything but a driver.

Note to self: Double check which thread you're posting in and always add plenty of context.

That thread should be reserved for travel and activities. If you would like to discuss shaft length and what to play, please use the equipment forum so that others around the forum that are not in the event, can learn more and jump in the fun.

Convo can be held in here too dude when it comes to thinking about this event and the shaft awesomeness that will ensue.

I've been swamped lately catching up on things review wise, but EVERY SINGLE round/session out I'm daydreaming of this. Every time I hit a different driver shaft I'm asking myself what would I like to change, what do I want to know more about, just what craziness do we have in store for us?

This is genuinely one of the most exciting events ever for me.

Convo can be held in here too dude.

I've been swamped lately catching up on things review wise, but EVERY SINGLE round/session out I'm daydreaming of this. Every time I hit a different driver shaft I'm asking myself what would I like to change, what do I want to know more about, just what craziness do we have in store for us?

Totally agree. I feel like it could really unlock my potential at driver in a lot of way, plus it'll be awesome and super fun and also BALLAST POINT!!

Nope, not excited.

Totally agree. I feel like it could really unlock my potential at driver in a lot of way, plus it'll be awesome and super fun and also BALLAST POINT!!

Nope, not excited.

The best part is that you will know, without a shadow of a doubt, that if you are having an issue with driver after the fact, it is NOT shaft related. It is swing or head related.

Hahaha, not even a little bit.

I won't lie, being that I'm playing a couple different PX HC LZ's right now, I think about a ton of little things. Then I realize, what we have in store for us is beyond my imagination and prediction.

Convo can be held in here too dude when it comes to thinking about this event and the shaft awesomeness that will ensue.

I totally agree. The thing I'm most looking forward to is being able to say something like, "When I hit my 3 wood, I feel I can really go at it. I can feel the weight of the head and can bring it down on the ball like a hammer. When I hit my driver, it always feels like the ball is just a bit too far away and my elbows go all wonky when I swing." with some kind of response like, "Let's try half an inch shorter with your flags here and here" (or whatever) and being like "Holy bajeezies that's it! This is awesome!"

The best part is that you will know, without a shadow of a doubt, that if you are having an issue with driver after the fact, it is NOT shaft related. It is swing or head related.

Well that's hardly ever been the case.

hqdefault.jpg

That is good and bad. Means its me...I rather it be the club haha. I kid of course.

It's funny how things can be so mental sometimes. It is amazing though how having the right shaft can improve a swing. If nothing other than just feeling right when you swing it. When I found the right shaft for my 3 wood, I felt like I could swing the way I wanted to and the ball just goes.

I can't wait to build a shaft that causes that feeling in a driver.

I was not referring to the mental part when I said head. I meant the club head.

I was not referring to the mental part when I said head. I meant the club head.

I know you did. But I also couldn't pass up the chance for a Tin Cup reference. :act-up:

It's funny how things can be so mental sometimes. It is amazing though how having the right shaft can improve a swing. If nothing other than just feeling right when you swing it. When I found the right shaft for my 3 wood, I felt like I could swing the way I wanted to and the ball just goes.

Just think we will have a shaft with perfect:weight, flex, torque, kick point, length, and most importantly colors. And whatever else goes into a shaft, I am guessing a lot more. But JB is right with the perfect fitted shaft all there is left to do is just swing out of your shoes with confidence.

I had another thought to the shaft design last night. I think it'd be really cool to do something lightsaberish with the grip side resembline the handle with some kind of flourescent color running down the shaft.

I have other nerdy ideas too, but I donlt want to embarrass myself too much.

As far as colors I'm strongly considering a silver metallic base color, but I have recently encountered the sweetest metallic paint I have ever seen on my new Galaxy S6 and it would be the COOLEST shaft coloring I've ever seen. I'm all but certain it would be really difficult to duplicate, but man does it look awesome. Hard to find a photo that captures the exact way it catches the light, but it's cool:

samsung-galaxy-s6-8-600x400.jpg

With some THP green accents, man that would be insane.

I had another thought to the shaft design last night. I think it'd be really cool to do something lightsaberish with the grip side resembline the handle with some kind of flourescent color running down the shaft.

I have other nerdy ideas too, but I donlt want to embarrass myself too much.

I had the same idea earlier on in this thread. How sick would it be to swing a light saber for real lol. Not to mention the countless times you can make that swooshing sound after you smash one down the middle. Only thing I thought about was it might look a little off to have the grip then the handle of the lightsaber. Almost like two handles if that makes any sense. It was the only thing that was keeping me away from being set on it.

is there anyway to get a starting reference point (current shaft and tendicies) for those attending this event? I think it would help others who are playing similar shafts get good reference points for which Project X shaft profile would fit their game.

is there anyway to get a starting reference point (current shaft and tendicies) for those attending this event? I think it would help others who are playing similar shafts get good reference points for which Project X shaft profile would fit their game.

I believe they're going to send us a shaft about a month before hand to get started with.

I think thats what the test shaft will be used for if I not mistaken

Edit: Chumphries is fast

There will be a full thread once test shafts get sent out.

I believe they're going to send us a shaft about a month before hand to get started with.

I think thats what the test shaft will be used for if I not mistaken

Edit: Chumphries is fast

Correct but I am talking about current shaft as of today. For example, Courtney what driver shaft are you currently using in what driver? What are you current tendencies with it? That way when you get your project X shaft and you are able to go from a hook to a more polished draw or currently have a low flight but end up raising it with a Project X HC with softer tip then someone seeing the thread with similar tendencies will know a good starting point if interested in testing project x shafts.

Correct but I am talking about current shaft as of today. For example, Courtney what driver shaft are you currently using in what driver? What are you current tendencies with it? That way when you get your project X shaft and you are able to go from a hook to a more polished draw or currently have a low flight but end up raising it with a Project X HC with softer tip then someone seeing the thread with similar tendencies will know a good starting point if interested in testing project x shafts.

In the entry form we put in the current shaft we play. I believe they will use this info

You should check out some of the THP TV episodes on shafts. There is some great stuff with Don and others about what shafts do what and there is a fantastic one about myth busting shafts with Don from the PGA Show this year.

Once they get a test shaft, we will have very strict criteria as far as posting their current line, their tendencies and updating from there what they are feeling with the baseline shaft.

I can tell you that my current gamer is a Titleist 913D2 with Aldila Rogue Silver 60 stiff (on loan from ArmyGolf) set to 12* and open on the SureFit. My good shots with it are mid to mid-high with low spin and plenty of rollout. Bad ones, I tend to get too flat and hook the holy hell out of it.

Also playing with a Nike Vapor Pro I fitted into (which will almost definitely be the head I use for the event) with a Matrix Velox 60 Sp stiff shaft set to 11.5*. The tendencies are similar, but I get more ball speed and carry yards with similar roll out based on the fitting. Misses are still left, but so far don't seem to be as bad - I think it might be the cavity back/fly beam business.

You should check out some of the THP TV episodes on shafts. There is some great stuff with Don and others about what shafts do what and there is a fantastic one about myth busting shafts with Don from the PGA Show this year.

Once they get a test shaft, we will have very strict criteria as far as posting their current line, their tendencies and updating from there what they are feeling with the baseline shaft.

I will keep my mindless banter to an absolute minimum I promise :angel:

Edit:I read that wrong. I thought it read strict as to posting on topic. I need to take a remedial English class I think.

Back