Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Great job JAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like how your swinging right now too.

Nice job there puttin4newdrivers!

You guys are doing great with your various practice schemes, rounds of golf, putting and mental prep. The MC will be a grand ole event!

Tonight during our men's club game a buddy and I played match play. He's a solid stick (7 handicap) that lives on the course there. We started with pars on 1, he bogeyed to my par on 2, hole 3 I came up short of the green but made up for a so so wedge shot with a great putt for par to his bogey to put me 2 up thru 3. Hole 4 I won with another par to get to 3 up. He birdies the long and into the wind par 3 5th and I'm like oh boy....so back to 2 up. We halved the par 5 6th with pars then I closed out the match on 7. Off the tee I hit it out toward the toe of my driver (still fairway but shortish) and he nailed one. He had me by 50 yards going into the green. I responded by putting my 7 iron to about 18 inches for a conceded birdie (still made the putt for men's club) and his birdie attempt to stay alive just BARELY missed so I closed him out 3&2. I've only beat this guy in match play one other time so I was pretty happy tonight. We kept playing for men's league and I bogeyed the par 3 8th and par'd the 9th for a 37.

Great prep work tonight, I'm really happy with how I'm swinging right now...still have some work to do to keep myself in this groove but I'm loving it.

Jakey I like what I am seeing! Keep it going brother

That is some great playing Jake!

Love reading about the different preparations. Keep 'em coming.

Keep working hard TBT and Seth, you'll get it worked out and tuned up perfectly.

I've been hitting the range pretty hard in the last week. The putting and stroke is the most comfortable and confident that it's felt. I'm hitting more fairways and my short game work has given me some great confidence on the greens I've missed.

Some glaring issues I am working on would be the iron game, which just seems to be an alignment issue. So I've pulled out the alignment sticks and with some more work with that I should have it dialed im

The other issue is my bunker game. I'm going to be spending some more time on the practice beach to figure that out. I had a lesson as well so I know what I need to work on. Sure is nice having a convenient set of eyes to show and tell me what I am doing.

My gym time is paying off as well. Feel better physically than I can ever remember not to mention just a reserve of energy and strength. Damn, I love the way I feel.

I love being able to practice with a purpose getting ready for the event and being able to do so with the equipment that's being provided by Cleveland and THP. Really feel blessed to have this event as part of my life. It's been a game changer for me on and off the course...thank you!

Love reading about the different preparations. Keep 'em coming.

Keep working hard TBT and Seth, you'll get it worked out and tuned up perfectly.

I've been hitting the range pretty hard in the last week. The putting and stroke is the most comfortable and confident that it's felt. I'm hitting more fairways and my short game work has given me some great confidence on the greens I've missed.

Some glaring issues I am working on would be the iron game, which just seems to be an alignment issue. So I've pulled out the alignment sticks and with some more work with that I should have it dialed im

The other issue is my bunker game. I'm going to be spending some more time on the practice beach to figure that out. I had a lesson as well so I know what I need to work on. Sure is nice having a convenient set of eyes to show and tell me what I am doing.

My gym time is paying off as well. Feel better physically than I can ever remember not to mention just a reserve of energy and strength. Damn, I love the way I feel.

I love being able to practice with a purpose getting ready for the event and being able to do so with the equipment that's being provided by Cleveland and THP. Really feel blessed to have this event as part of my life. It's been a game changer for me on and off the course...thank you!

YESSS!!!! Feel good, look good, play well. I love it. Keep it up dude!

Interesting thoughts biggsy. I'm by no means in shape. It's ok. I used to be, but that was before I had kids and I had time to go to the gym and all that. So as of the 10th of this month, I'm going on a 90 day binger of no beer, no sugars, no carbs. Just to see wtf happens. I'm constantly tired, exhausted, and stressed but that's just my life right now. Maybe this will help some? Other than that, I'm playing golf. At least twice a week. That will change if we join up this club here. I'll play at least 4 times per week, even if it's just walking 9 after work or something. The time for practice for me is over, I'm 100% golf, being aggressive, and trying to score.

Gotta stop making doubles lol. I am not a hero, but I always think I am if I have to hit a high draw over the trees. Interestingly, the one hole I actually did something smart (punch out) I ended up almost saving par. I'm playing a couple good holes, a couple acceptable holes, and then doubling myself to a mediocre score.

On the bright side, I birdied our first hole a 590 yard (downhill) par 5 the old fashioned way by sticking a wedge tight. I also parred my nemesis hole last night.

Nice hawk! Redemption!

You're right though dude, it can suck sometimes having to punch out or lay up but you hit the nail on the head, it's amazing how you can truly give yourself par attempts.

I am a fan of course management. Although playing Cookie I wont get to see any, because he is amazing. Never misses a fairway, so no trees or punching out. However my plan is to work harder on my rope hook me shot and continue missing fairways, yet course management someone to death. It's kind of like workabilitying them, but cooler. I will save he perfection for he and that Internetgfer guy.

My preparation continues by me sitting for long hours behind the wheel of a giant truck. I then arrive in myrtle beach and embarrass another captain for about the sixth time in a row.

Finally! It was surprisingly easy too. I think I need to quit mind-effing myself and just play.

Nice job Hawk. I bet that feels good.

TC. It's harder to get yourself in shape with a lot of stress. It's also something that's very tough to set aside so I know your dilemma. Even with the stress of everything in your life, I know your family keeps you going, so there is some great positivity there for you. Golf burns calories too, so it's not like you are a couch potato. You'd be surprised what diet can do for you. Be interested to see how it works for you...but frankly...you got to reward yourself with some indulgence every now and then, so cold turkey with no consumptive rewards is a bit tough.

If you joined the club, I know you'd love it. Plus you'd get to walk and play more...win win!

How you hittin' 'em lately? One thing I've always been envious of you with is to keep that blow up hole or two and penalties off your card and you consistently break 80. What's the biggest thing for you in your game to make that happen?

I am a fan of course management. Although playing Cookie I wont get to see any, because he is amazing. Never misses a fairway, so no trees or punching out. However my plan is to work harder on my rope hook me shot and continue missing fairways, yet course management someone to death. It's kind of like workabilitying them, but cooler. I will save he perfection for he and that Internetgfer guy.

My preparation continues by me sitting for long hours behind the wheel of a giant truck. I then arrive in myrtle beach and embarrass another captain for about the sixth time in a row.

This had me laughing. You need to see a psychologist as part of your preparation as it is so evident that the fear of playing me never leaves your mind. Dr Frank, perhaps?

We now know that having that shot at your disposal can help win tournaments. Masters approved.

Dude that's great, I'm glad you're also using this for motivation to improve your golf game as well as your fitness. For me it goes hand in hand too, the better shape I'm in the better golf I play. Seeing my fat butt on last year's MC videos really slapped me in the face and since then I've been working like crazy to get in better shape. I like the results I'm seeing and by July should be ready to wash people's clothes on my washboard abs. :D Keep up the good work buddy, can't wait to hang out with you in May!

Interesting thoughts biggsy. I'm by no means in shape. It's ok. I used to be, but that was before I had kids and I had time to go to the gym and all that. So as of the 10th of this month, I'm going on a 90 day binger of no beer, no sugars, no carbs. Just to see wtf happens. I'm constantly tired, exhausted, and stressed but that's just my life right now. Maybe this will help some? Other than that, I'm playing golf. At least twice a week. That will change if we join up this club here. I'll play at least 4 times per week, even if it's just walking 9 after work or something. The time for practice for me is over, I'm 100% golf, being aggressive, and trying to score.
You'll see a pretty big improvement in how you feel and actually how you play by getting in better shape. Just walking 9 holes once a week would really do a great job on getting you there too dude. It's like free exercise...you're doing something you love and burning calories at the same time. Win/win!

If you can perfect the Rope Hook Me Jesus you'll win the Masters....worked for Bubba!

no beer for 90 days. You will be a hornet.

Tonight during our men's club game a buddy and I played match play. He's a solid stick (7 handicap) that lives on the course there. We started with pars on 1, he bogeyed to my par on 2, hole 3 I came up short of the green but made up for a so so wedge shot with a great putt for par to his bogey to put me 2 up thru 3. Hole 4 I won with another par to get to 3 up. He birdies the long and into the wind par 3 5th and I'm like oh boy....so back to 2 up. We halved the par 5 6th with pars then I closed out the match on 7. Off the tee I hit it out toward the toe of my driver (still fairway but shortish) and he nailed one. He had me by 50 yards going into the green. I responded by putting my 7 iron to about 18 inches for a conceded birdie (still made the putt for men's club) and his birdie attempt to stay alive just BARELY missed so I closed him out 3&2. I've only beat this guy in match play one other time so I was pretty happy tonight. We kept playing for men's league and I bogeyed the par 3 8th and par'd the 9th for a 37.

Great prep work tonight, I'm really happy with how I'm swinging right now...still have some work to do to keep myself in this groove but I'm loving it.

Jake, that is awesome. Congrats on the W. Sounds like you are really striping the ball right now.

Gotta stop making doubles lol. I am not a hero, but I always think I am if I have to hit a high draw over the trees. Interestingly, the one hole I actually did something smart (punch out) I ended up almost saving par. I'm playing a couple good holes, a couple acceptable holes, and then doubling myself to a mediocre score.

On the bright side, I birdied our first hole a 590 yard (downhill) par 5 the old fashioned way by sticking a wedge tight. I also parred my nemesis hole last night.

This is what I was doing at the end of the year too. The good news is that you know how to fix it. I get that you want to hit the perfect shot to make up for a bad shot, but course management will save you a couple of strokes per round.

Finally! It was surprisingly easy too. I think I need to quit mind-effing myself and just play.

I love conquering the nemesis hole. The one I used in my HOTD vid last night has been my nemesis on the back 9 all year. I don't know why, it's not a hard hole, it's 380 with a tiny bend to it. The green has bunkers on both sides, 2 tiered green. When the pin is in the back it makes the hole harder because they stick it in the back right so you have to take on the bunkers if you want a good look at bird. I haden't gotten a par on it all year until my last 2 rounds. Nemesis has been taken down haha

I prepped last night by ignoring the range and going to eat some sushi.

I have Thursday night league tonight and I want to shoot sub 40. I shot a 42 tuesday with 2 penalties and 2 3putts. Take those away and I have a 38. Also, I want to do better with the driver off the tee. I hit more greens than fairways and I can accept that, but I would like to be very much higher on each percentage.

I have Thursday night league tonight and I want to shoot sub 40. I shot a 42 tuesday with 2 penalties and 2 3putts. Take those away and I have a 38. Also, I want to do better with the driver off the tee. I hit more greens than fairways and I can accept that, but I would like to be very much higher on each percentage.

I'm ok with missing fairways as long as it leads to a playable miss. My last 2 18 hole rounds I hit only 5 fairways combined and yet hit 23 of 36 greens.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to score that sub 40 round though bro. Just go out there and trust your swing and hit the ball. Trying to press for a number (in my experience anyway) is an instant recipe for throwing up a real high score real quick. Play your game and trust it and you'll get it.

I'm ok with missing fairways as long as it leads to a playable miss. My last 2 18 hole rounds I hit only 5 fairways combined and yet hit 23 of 36 greens.

That is true. Most of my misses from the tee lately have been just off the fairway.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to score that sub 40 round though bro. Just go out there and trust your swing and hit the ball. Trying to press for a number (in my experience anyway) is an instant recipe for throwing up a real high score real quick. Play your game and trust it and you'll get it.

That is a good point Jakester. One shot at a time.

I wish you luck with that TC. I've been walking 9 after work every day now for the past 3 weeks and love iiit!My game is slowly coming around, my short game is killing my scores. I really enjoy reading all the progress you guys are making and hope to watch the cup in person this year!

I wish you luck with that TC. I've been walking 9 after work every day now for the past 3 weeks and love iiit!My game is slowly coming around, my short game is killing my scores. I really enjoy reading all the progress you guys are making and hope to watch the cup in person this year!

I've walked every round but 2 9 hole rounds this year(Easter morning and last night). Every 18 hole round I've played I've walked and this course can be a pain in the butt to walk it. But when I'm done I usually feel pretty good about doing it.

Back