The Official 2015 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same most everywhere: company owners make wayyyyy more money than their employees. If they want baseball money, go play baseball... Or collectively bargain for a better deal.

Agreed. I love the part that always comes "What about the owners". Oh, you mean the people that have all the risk in the game? They should always have the ability to earn more, because they most certainly have the ability to lose more. Nobody athlete ever says "Give me less because my owner lost some this year".

Baseball has the salaries they do in part because they have the most powerful union in sports. If you want more $ play a different sport

Nobody is forcing anybody to play a game for millions last I checked.

I would like to make the same as the VP of Engineering at Boeing. I would be told to learn the damn craft and work hard.

Ding ding ding.

And if you're worried about not having enough money after you retire, don't be an idiot. Make a savings plan and live within your means for that plan.

When the people who support your team are making 50k, it looks really bad to complain about the 3 million you are making in your rookie contract

When the people who support your team are making 50k, it looks really bad to complain about the 3 million you are making in your rookie contract

Beckham actually didn't complain at all about the money he was making. His comment was around the league minimums....

"I understand that basketball plays 80-something games, baseball plays this many games, soccer plays that many games, but this is a sport that’s most-watched in America. A sport where there’s more injuries. There’s more collisions.It’s not even a full-contact sport, I would call it a full-collision sport. You have people running who can run 20 miles per hour and they’re running downhill to hit you, and you’re running 18 miles per hour. That’s a car wreck.
It’s just the careers are shorter. There’s injuries that you have after you leave the game, brain injuries, whatever it is, nerve injuries. And it’s just something that I feel as if there’s no way someone who -- even if they did their three or four years in the league -- should have to worry about money for the rest of their lives."

According to Forbes, the average NFL player made $2 million in 2013 -- less than the average player in the NHL, NBA and MLB players, the latter of which, as Beckham pointed out, isn’t drawing in the viewership that football does. Football also had the lowest minimum salary in 2014, at $420,000, of all the major sports leagues.

But Beckham, who noted that he’s “not a player rep or anything,” said there could still be more money up front for players.
“I understand we have more players, but look, there has to be some way to balance that out,” he said.

Beckham actually didn't complain at all about the money he was making. His comment was around the league minimums....

"I understand that basketball plays 80-something games, baseball plays this many games, soccer plays that many games, but this is a sport that’s most-watched in America. A sport where there’s more injuries. There’s more collisions.It’s not even a full-contact sport, I would call it a full-collision sport. You have people running who can run 20 miles per hour and they’re running downhill to hit you, and you’re running 18 miles per hour. That’s a car wreck.
It’s just the careers are shorter. There’s injuries that you have after you leave the game, brain injuries, whatever it is, nerve injuries. And it’s just something that I feel as if there’s no way someone who -- even if they did their three or four years in the league -- should have to worry about money for the rest of their lives."

According to Forbes, the average NFL player made $2 million in 2013 -- less than the average player in the NHL, NBA and MLB players, the latter of which, as Beckham pointed out, isn’t drawing in the viewership that football does. Football also had the lowest minimum salary in 2014, at $420,000, of all the major sports leagues.

But Beckham, who noted that he’s “not a player rep or anything,” said there could still be more money up front for players.
“I understand we have more players, but look, there has to be some way to balance that out,” he said.
He said we should make more money, not they.

Its very easy though. Dont play a game for millions and get a different job that has less risk if you choose.
Like most he fails to realize that while the NFL may pay less per player, they also have more players per team.
If the league minimum is that much of a concern for him, I am sure his teammates would be ecstatic if he negotiated his next contract to give 20% back to all of the guys on the roster making the minimum...

Alrightly then. #PassiveAgressiveTHPThreadBackout
Wasn't trying to be passive aggressive, just pointing out the sentence prior to the part you quoted. It seemed to me he was including himself in the underpaid category.

Good article here on NFL contracts vs MLB contracts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tween-lucrative-contracts-in-the-nfl-and-mlb/

Think about that: Marshawn Lynch, who carried his team into the Super Bowl and was one lousy play call away from winning it for the second straight season – a guy who has led the league in rushing touchdowns each of the past two seasons — isn’t guaranteed anything more than $12 million for 2015. If the year goes awry and the Seahawks find the remainder of his deal unpalatable, off he goes – cut, and owed nothing more.

By comparison, some baseball contracts issued this offseason: Pat Neshek, 34-year-old reliever, $12.5 million for two seasons with Houston; Yovani Gallardo, $13 million for just 2015 with Milwaukee, who then traded him to Texas; Michael Cuddyer, two years and $21 million with the Mets; Jake Peavy, two years and $24 million in San Francisco; Adam LaRoche, two years and $25 million with the White Sox; J.J. Hardy, three years and $40 million with Baltimore.
As a funny... the Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla.

All this salary talk and nobody has mentioned the new contract for Tannehill? Too much? Too soon? Good call? Need to be higher because of the physical risks he takes compared to baseball players? :)

All this salary talk and nobody has mentioned the new contract for Tannehill? Too much? Too soon? Good call? Need to be higher because of the physical risks he takes compared to baseball players? :)
As a Dolphins fan its a double edged sword. I am tired of the QB carousel we have had since Marino left, but I don't think he is the right guy. I know he hasnt had a good OL yet, his TE and WR have been serviceable with Clay being solid. We will see but I knew once they let Brees slide to NO instead of taking him the QB position was going to be a long ride with the LOLphins.

Are they paying him $1.2 million per year until 2036?
Haha, thankfully not. But 33 million over 14 years is a lot of money in the hockey world.

Supposedly Felix Jones too HAHA that would be great if the cowboys got Felix Jones. I am honestly suprised they haven't gone after someone like Fred Jackson since he will probably want to leave with 4 RB in Buffalo.

Well crap, the Houston Texans were selected for Hard Knocks according to multiple local sources. I'll admit it's fun getting an inside look at teams preparing for a season, but o don't like the distractions.

Well crap, the Houston Texans were selected for Hard Knocks according to multiple local sources. I'll admit it's fun getting an inside look at teams preparing for a season, but o don't like the distractions.

Love the selection. Heck, if they just want to follow JJ around each episode for the entire hour, I think that would be better TV.

Love the selection. Heck, if they just want to follow JJ around each episode for the entire hour, I think that would be better TV.

Bill O'Brien, Clowney, post AJ, Foster, plenty of story lines, but yeah following JJ and his daily routine is probably TV gold

I don't think it's possible to dislike JJ Watt, guy is a class act on and off the field.

Bill O'Brien, Clowney, post AJ, Foster, plenty of story lines, but yeah following JJ and his daily routine is probably TV gold

some good stories there. JJ is by far my favorite player on any team. will be a season i watch

I find it funny that Peterson is complaining about how teams don't honor contracts yet he got paid over 7 million last year for a games worth of work and that he is now complaining about the contract he signed. I am so sick of hearing about him and really don't care what happens either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back