Grip diameter vs. shaft diameter vs. tape...grip size fumble?

Castor Hades

Reaction score
Handicap
6.7 EGA
How many of you think about the grip size vs. shaft size when you regrip, or buy new grips?

I was checking out my club building project, and started to wonder about the grip size, and the need of tape...or layers of tape..I have normally been using STD grip with 2 tapes. Some dude did put 2 additional tapes on my 3 wood, so it has 3 tapes, but that's another story.

But, to the point. Can a correct selection of grips for your shafts make the need of tape unnecessary?

I've got in my other clubs the New Decade grips (whiteout), and they should have a core size of 0.60, they are on DG S300 shafts, and those shafts should have a butt diameter of .600? Right so far? There should also be 2 tapes.

My new grips (not on yet) for my others set, are Lamkin 3GEN Performance, also with a core size of 0.60, and they are going on KBS Tour shafts, they have the butt diameter of .600 as well. So here are no tapes or nothing because they are still loose :)

What I did notice, and here lies the question, should I leave the tape out and just put those Lamkins on, because they appear to be 1 mm thicker than the NDMC's? Or am I just thinking this wrong?

kuva1e.jpg

kuva2s.jpg

I have started thinking about this recently as I had a grip slip slightly on a club. Outside of PURE, most grips I have used need some sort of tape to stay in place. Not always mind you, but every now and then some slipping occurs.

Never tried regripping so I am no help here...

I have started thinking about this recently as I had a grip slip slightly on a club. Outside of PURE, most grips I have used need some sort of tape to stay in place. Not always mind you, but every now and then some slipping occurs.

Thanks JB, I'd rather not have any slipping. I'm afraid that if I put some tape on the shafts with the Lamkins, it will feel too big. Slipping with out the tapem not keen on that either... I've got to give this some thinking. I suppose I need to test it too, but wouldn't like to waste too many grips. I've only got 8 grips, and 7 shafts.

It's just odd that the Lamkin is a mm bigger than the ND with two layers of tape...

Thanks JB, I'd rather not have any slipping. I'm afraid that if I put some tape on the shafts with the Lamkins, it will feel too big. Slipping with out the tapem not keen on that either... I've got to give this some thinking. I suppose I need to test it too, but wouldn't like to waste too many grips. I've only got 8 grips, and 7 shafts.

It's just odd that the Lamkin is a mm bigger than the ND with two layers of tape...

I have the 3gens on Kbs tours without tape and have absolutely no issues with them slipping, I put a Winn lite grip on my driver without tape and it did slip. All of my other grips are on without tape with no problems, the Winn grip is the only one I've had an issue with slipping.

I have the 3gens on Kbs tours without tape and have absolutely no issues with them slipping, I put a Winn lite grip on my driver without tape and it did slip. All of my other grips are on without tape with no problems, the Winn grip is the only one I've had an issue with slipping.

I put on the Lamkins, and the first one I put on with one layer of painters tape, so no solvents or anything, just using a compressor. It seemed to slip just slightly, so I added a second layer of painters tape, and voilá...no slipping. The feel a bit larger than the ND's, but I love them.

I just regripped all my clubs since the season is over here in St. Louis. I always match up the shaft diameter to grips with the same diameter. you've measured from the butt of the grip which isn't going to effect how tight or loose it will fit on the shaft but how it fits in your hand. grips taper from top to bottom but the inner tubing of the grip that goes on the shaft is the same diameter the whole length.

The reason why actually measured was to figure out if tape is needed to have the same feel and thickness I've previously had. The grip & shaft diameters should be ok. The butt was an easy place to measure at the same spot on both grips.

Back