Bandon Dunes Booked - What was your worst.......

247GolfNut

Bogey
Reaction score
Handicap
Just booked a trip to Bandon in Feb of 2013 with 5 other buddies. 4th trip to BD in the February timeframe. What was your worst "weather" day ever at Bandon in which you played? For me......holes 15, 16, 17 and 18 on Bandon Dunes in the hail/wind - white balls of ice everywhere!!!

Anyone play recently with a good story or advice? Haven't been since 2008 and counting down the days.

First day I got there it was 41 and raining hard on the 1st 3-4 holes. Absolutely miserable. The rain stopped for the most part outside of a drizzle after that, but the round was not all that enjoyable.

I have played 3 times in Feb and many times in the other winter months. I only have had a half of a day of bad weather, but that was the nice thing about living in Oregon, I could watch for good weather.

If you're prepared with high quality rain gear, rain cover for your push cart, umbrella, lots of towels, lots of gloves, etc... the rain will be fine. Hope for no crazy wind.

i have my rain bad weather gear down to a science and I don't mind it at all anymore. The only thing that can get to me is when I can't keep my grips dry before a shot.

I went February of 2011 and played all 4 regulation courses. First day was Pacific Dunes in the morning and it hailed 3 separate times, good enough so that putts bounced off line. That afternoon played Bandon Crossings and it snowed for a couple holes. Middle day was fine and then played Bandon Dunes on the last day and it poured rain so much so that it was clearly unplayable with all the standing water on the greens, but played anyway.

agree with oregon golfer. get your rain gear down like an expert. my routine: "under armour" like stuff underneath for my top half and bottom half (basically, glorified long johns), polyester adidas work out pants over the under armou, vest so you're warm but not restrictive...then cover all with your nice rain gear. i bring 2 pairs of shoes with me to rotate. in my bag, i have 3 pairs of rain gloves and cover with mittens if it's really cold for in between shots. don't forget a bucket hat and a beanie. lastly, i go to amazon and buy a 10 pack of those hand warmers and put 2 in each pocket. but....it's the wind you can't control. that's the bummer.

i've been to bandon 5 times, 4 of which were in the winter. just got back from a 3 day trip a week ago (11/18 - 11/20). that monday was the craziest weather i've ever been in, let alone played golf in. crazy wind. 90 mph gusts. i can't post a link yet because i'm new to the site but will post the youtube link when i can. hilarious. otherwise, i've been really lucky with weather. vast majority has been great.

Back