Time to upgrade my TM Burner Plus irons ... need advice

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
I've got about 220 rounds on my Burner Plus irons over the last 2 years (OK OK, most of which are 9 holes after work) - they've served me well & together I've improved alot. I'm looking to go from the SGI to GI category. My ballstriking is better than my hcp suggests due largely to my pathological aversion to putting (the only part of the game I don't enjoy). The offset built into the Burner Plus irons is becomming an issue - seem to draw my irons too much now that my swing has improved. I've recently hit the Cobra Amp, Titleist AP1, Mizuno JPX800, and TM R11 irons - and haven't come up with a clear winner. I play a controlled (not long) game & swing in the 85-90 mph range - use regular flex (hit my 7 iron 150 yds), but my main criteria is that I do NOT want to lose the distance I have with whatever club I decide to go with and be forced to relearn all my distances (everything I've read about the Burner Plus indicates they were designed with a slightly longer shaft & lighter head to promote maximum distance).

Just looking for some guidance or on course experience regarding a quality GI cavity back iron set that members have had good luck with that offers a fair amount of forgiveness and length - or maybe a club set that gave you more length than you expected compared to your old set (again, if I were to buy a better set that wasn't as long as my Burner Plus irons, I'd be hugely disappointed). Thanks !

Last edited:
Obviously you are going to get a lot of answers saying..."hit every club offer out there till you find the one that is perfect for you."
So let me be the first one to say that.
But, I also want to throw in my 2 cents and say, try hitting the TMAG Burner 2.0's. I put those in my bag and love them. They have gone down in price due to new models, so that is a bonus as well.

Good luck with your search!

I am with you on the burner plus irons I have played them for 2.5 seasons and am ready to move on to something else. My issue with the burners is launching them too high especially in the shorter irons and wedges. I understand you not wanting to loose distance when moving to new clubs but that would not be my biggest concern with making a switch. I am more concerned with accuracy in my next set than distance loss or gained. I think with the right fitting you shouldn't loose much distance especially considering most of the newer clubs lofts are a bit stronger than what we are playing.

As drum said look at the 2.0's. Also if you can get into a golf shop and ask the pro if he is not busy to look at your swing and what your hitting and make a suggestion. Also you could always go get a club fitting from them or GolfTec if there is one close to you.

thx guys !

The burner 20 be a good choice

If you r wanting to stay within the TMag family, Might I suggest whats in my signature. There is a whole review thread on this particular iron set and u will find some great info on them by some good reviewers. Good luck man!

If you r wanting to stay within the TMag family, Might I suggest whats in my signature. There is a whole review thread on this particular iron set and u will find some great info on them by some good reviewers. Good luck man!

curious, aside from the feel of being forged, how does the Tour Preferred line differ from the R11 irons ? There's some great prices online - can actually get the TP irons for less than the cast R11's ?!?! That doesn't make sense - seems too good to be true.

I really think the burner 2.0 could be a good option for you, throw in a custom fitting, and bam a set of
Irons that will last 300 rounds!

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

I really like my Burner 2.0s fwiw

I really like my Burner 2.0s fwiw

Me too. I love mine and although I got an increase of about 10-15 yards with the rocketbladez, I'll be gaming my burners for a while. They're just so great for me

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

I recently did the exact same thing, sort of, sold my burner plus irons, which btw helped with 7 rounds sub 80 in 2011. Ok, so continued with good play in 2012 and after hitting the 2.0's decided I needed an upgrade. So I tried the 2.0, then tried the R11, oh and tried the rocketballz as well. The R11 felt so clean I decided they were for me. Just to be clear, did try them all at different times and kept coming back to the R11. I think mostly I really like the look of the R11 best and I like the look from the top. Learned how to play with blades so the smaller top line was suiting my eye. 3 rounds in and I'm pretty happy, still adjusting to a smaller sole. Was coming in too steep and digging in which wasn't feeling great but distance pretty good. I tend to take a good divit in front of the ball but sometimes feels a bit too much with a more narrow sole.

Well best of luck, feel free to ask me any question you have. Really like my old set but they started to look clunky to me.

My R11 are definately longer then my Burner Plus.

Try as many as you can and pick what's best, but make sure you give the R11's and the Cobra Amp's a fair try.

Offset helps get the ball airborne and has little to do with hooking the ball. A more likely culprit is a subtle change in swing mechanics that has moved you out of the shaft you have installed.

The Ping i20 offers superb forgiveness with moderate offset in the longer irons that tapers to very minimal in the scoring clubs. There is a small 280+ page thread available for review plus virtually any decent store the i20 head and a pile of shafts for you to try.

One word of caution about demoing i20s indoors. More so than any other club I've owned or demoed, there is substantial difference between mats and grass with that sole design. If you consider them as an option, try to find a place or person that will let you hit them outdoors.

My R11 are definately longer then my Burner Plus.

Thx to everybody for the replies.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear ... I really like the thinner look of the R11 sole & topline - I think I'm ready for the upgrade, but will have to work my way into them I'm sure.

curious, aside from the feel of being forged, how does the Tour Preferred line differ from the R11 irons ? There's some great prices online - can actually get the TP irons for less than the cast R11's ?!?! That doesn't make sense - seems too good to be true.

The R11,s outsold thisTP line so they discontinued them thats why you are seeing great prices online. I got mine pretty cheap from 3Ballsgolf, an ebay store. So the R11,s replaced these. I love the feel of these, from looking at both heads they are pretty much the same size. Topline and all u know. I do not know if the R11,s are longer, if they are I dont know why. I dont know if the lofts are jacked up or the club is just a lil longer u know. If u can get a good price on the TP CB,s I,d pull the trigger.

Well I am probably the only one here that will say, I'm not crazy about my TM 2.0's. If I could do it again I would probably switch to the Wilson Staff line as they are extremely pleasing to the eye and won't break the bank.

Here's what you do. Win a set of Rocketbladez in the Holiday cheer contest. I'll even wish you luck.

Get a fitting from a store that will apply the cost of the fitting to a new set AND that doesn't require a same-day decision. GG offers that.

Shaft counts for as much or more than the club head, so don't limit yourself to just heads. Try combinations.

Also, have some idea of budget and try to be blind to brand, etc...and pay attention to the LM numbers, not the namesor prejudices.

Most of all have fun.

I know lots of people have said it already, but I'm throwing in another vote for the Burner 2.0's.

I love mine and they haven't put a foot wrong yet!

I've had my 2.0's for just this season and they are terrific clubs!

Back