Fit me! Based on my club past...

BBrattina

Reaction score
Handicap
3.1 GAM
So,

As a brief introduction, I am new to the forums here and find myself very impressed by the amount of information, contribution and knowledge flowing from post to post. I figured I would bring something to the table, having my own intelligent golf mind (or general understanding of concept, etc.), to see what you all would likely fit a player of my caliber on a new set of irons!

To be fair, I know there are more than a few variables that you may ask, and please feel free to do so. I will try to get the basics out to help the process.

Years played: 15
2012 Season Average: 79 (rolling an 8.3 from the past two years)
Current iron set: Callaway X-20 standard Uni-flex shaft
Years played with the irons: 3
Yardage: (based on a range, assume no wind or other determining factors)
3: 210-215
4:205-215
5:190-200
6:180-190
7:170-180
8:160-170
9:145-160
P:110-135

Swing Speed: Recorded as an average of 103.00 MPH (varying on iron dependencies)
Length adjustment: None - I have never been exactly fitted for clubs as I never found the time to do so.

Desired iron set maker: Mizuno, Titleist and potentially Wilson

I know this may be an insufficient post for some of the very in depth and detailed, but may be fun - I will certainly look forward to hearing the opinions, especially about never being custom fit for my irons :banghead:

Wilson Staff Fg tour V2 they come stock with KBS tour shafts. They are also beautiful irons.
Adams Cb3 with the graphite shaft. both in stiff.

Truth be told - I met with one of the reps at Demo Days (Carls Golfland - I have two within a fairly quick commute where I am at) and tried them out. Loved the way they felt, but couldn't determine which I liked better based on feel against the Titleist AP1

I can't fit you, but I can tell you your irons are probably WAY too soft. With that kinda distance and a SS of 100+ with a 6i I would think you would need hard stepped stiff shafts or probably Xstiff shafts. I was playing Uniflex x18's and my fitter said they were all wrong, and my SS was only 93.

The more and more I read about it and pay more attention to it, I agree. That's the main reason I had started this thread after reading up on the new shaft technologies and inquiring about the Nippon/KBS shaft lines

There is so much more that goes into shaft fitting. Are you a natural high ball or low ball hitter? Are you trying to bring your flight down? Do you prefer heavier or lighter shafts? Quick or smooth tempo?

Both KBS and True Temper have shaft fitting tools on their websites that can get you headed in the right direction. Short of a full on fitting the best thing you can do is find a Mizuno shaft optimizer, that will give you a really good idea of what shaft is right for you.

There is so much more that goes into shaft fitting. Are you a natural high ball or low ball hitter? Are you trying to bring your flight down? Do you prefer heavier or lighter shafts? Quick or smooth tempo?

Both KBS and True Temper have shaft fitting tools on their websites that can get you headed in the right direction. Short of a full on fitting the best thing you can do is find a Mizuno shaft optimizer, that will give you a really good idea of what shaft is right for you.

All fantastic questions; Let's go in sequence -

1. Natural low ball (very low) with a slight draw (appx 5 yds.)
2. I would like to keep my height the same, maybe a touch higher - My swing does not promote a high flight
3. Heavy v. Light = Light; I like a uniform feel throughout the club - Clubs that tend to be shaft or head heavy are very noticeable in my opinion

I definitely agree, it's next to impossible to "fit" me on some irons, more or less want to base some interest on other members findings

Based on the ball flight you seek I would say you aren't playing shafts that are too soft at all. Stiffer shafts could cause a lower ball flight and straighten the draw.

Based on the ball flight you seek I would say you aren't playing shafts that are too soft at all. Stiffer shafts could cause a lower ball flight and straighten the draw.

Fitting on the internet is next to impossible, but I find it hard to believe someone with a SS of 103 would be fit into a Uniflex shaft. I'm not expert of course, that is just a pretty damn fast SS. Seems to me he might find more control without giving up much if any in the ball flight department with something like the Dynalite XP s300. Still pretty light weight and high launching, but a bit closer to matching his SS. The KBS Tour might also be a good fit, although it might weigh more than he is wanting.

The bigger question outside of the obvious swing speed one I have is these gaps seem to be huge? PW at 110 and then 160 for a 9 iron? Something is happening here that seems to be robbing you of distance with the short irons.

Have you checked into local stores to see if you can get on the shaft optimizer? While not a full fitting, it does well with giving shaft info.

Brattina - Go to Carl's Golfland right by you in Northville. Ask for Jon, he helped fit me 2 years ago when I was in Detroit working in Novi. He was great and took all the time I wanted and answered all my questions. I found their selection to be a bit bigger than Golfsmith, but they also have a real range where you can checkout equipment and hit balls for free to test.

As JB said, get on the Mizuno shaft optimizer if possible. I know GolfSmith had it available at one point, as thats where I first used it. It was sitting in the back hitting bay inside the Mizuno fitting cart.

The bigger question outside of the obvious swing speed one I have is these gaps seem to be huge? PW at 110 and then 160 for a 9 iron? Something is happening here that seems to be robbing you of distance with the short irons.

Have you checked into local stores to see if you can get on the shaft optimizer? While not a full fitting, it does well with giving shaft info.

The gap in the short irons around are based off of the fact that I use solely a 56 degree wedge which will max me out around 110 yards. From 110-120 it forces me to take a finesse approach with the PW, which would typically be used from 125-140 (could be maxed around 145, which then turns intoa light​ 9 iron).

Brattina - Go to Carl's Golfland right by you in Northville. Ask for Jon, he helped fit me 2 years ago when I was in Detroit working in Novi. He was great and took all the time I wanted and answered all my questions. I found their selection to be a bit bigger than Golfsmith, but they also have a real range where you can checkout equipment and hit balls for free to test.

As JB said, get on the Mizuno shaft optimizer if possible. I know GolfSmith had it available at one point, as thats where I first used it. It was sitting in the back hitting bay inside the Mizuno fitting cart.

DD- I have been to Carl's quite often in my time here, great store. I do believe I had taken some time to speak with Jon and actually may have his card at home. Definitely have a great selection, I never really thought to ask about their fitting setup. I'll potentially try to find some time to do it around the Christmas down-time and report back!

DD- I have been to Carl's quite often in my time here, great store. I do believe I had taken some time to speak with Jon and actually may have his card at home. Definitely have a great selection, I never really thought to ask about their fitting setup. I'll potentially try to find some time to do it around the Christmas down-time and report back!

Good plan. While I know was hesitant about paying for a fitting originally, there is nothing worse than spending your good hard earned money on something you arent 100% confident in and confident is best suited to you. I think Carls even applied the fitting fee as a credit to my purchase with them.

To the OP, please clear something up: is your driver swing speed 103 mph or is that your 6 iron swing speed?

Sent from Tapatalk

Your numbers are very close to mine, and i was fitted for KBS tour in X flex. Maybe just change the shafts out.

Back