Fit a lady? (hint: ladies flex isn't the answer)

CallMeAl82

Reaction score
Handicap
Unsure
Or maybe it is. You tell me.

The reason I'm asking is because I live on Guam. Yes, we can golf year round, and we have some decent courses, but we only have 1 dedicated golf shop (Golf USA), some course shops with sparse offerings, and a small selection at a local sports store. No local club fittings available. So, I really don't have anywhere to turn; the guys at Golf USA tried to sell me a Taylormade RBZ iron set, steel shaft, regular flex. It didn't seem too right, but what do I know? I could hit them straight.

About me: Back into golf after a 15 year hiatus. Playing on some hand-me-down, 5-10 year old TMs (R360XD stiff driver and steel shaft irons, Burner 5 wood at 23 deg loft, Nike ? Hybrid). Swing speed on a 7 iron 55g graphite RBZ (a friend's) is 74 mph and getting better. I can hit a 5 iron about 150 yards at best, average 135 ish.

I may not have much more data than this, but am happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

Thanks for all your help.

Allie

Or maybe it is. You tell me.

The reason I'm asking is because I live on Guam. Yes, we can golf year round, and we have some decent courses, but we only have 1 dedicated golf shop (Golf USA), some course shops with sparse offerings, and a small selection at a local sports store. No local club fittings available. So, I really don't have anywhere to turn; the guys at Golf USA tried to sell me a Taylormade RBZ iron set, steel shaft, regular flex. It didn't seem too right, but what do I know? I could hit them straight.

About me: Back into golf after a 15 year hiatus. Playing on some hand-me-down, 5-10 year old TMs (R360XD stiff driver and steel shaft irons, Burner 5 wood at 23 deg loft, Nike ? Hybrid). Swing speed on a 7 iron 55g graphite RBZ (a friend's) is 74 mph and getting better. I can hit a 5 iron about 150 yards at best, average 135 ish.

I may not have much more data than this, but am happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

Thanks for all your help.

Allie

a couple years ago i bought my grandma who is 70 yrs old a set of burner 1.0's with lady's flex and she absolutely loves them. maybe try senior flex? it's in between womens and regular.

Yeah, thinking about senior flex, given that I'm 30, not 70 ;) Just wondering why someone would put me in a regular steel shaft? Also, with senior, should I be worried about the length? Are there differences in ladies club heads? I assume not, since ladies clubs only have ladies shaft flex.

Yeah, thinking about senior flex, given that I'm 30, not 70 ;) Just wondering why someone would put me in a regular steel shaft? Also, with senior, should I be worried about the length? Are there differences in ladies club heads? I assume not, since ladies clubs only have ladies shaft flex.
Im not the one to ask questions like that, but i would assume there would be little to no diference in length.

I was fitted to regular flex woods and senior flex irons until recently when my fitter moved me to ladies flex irons. I'm 54 now and my swing speed is slowing down as I age and lose flexibility due to back problems. A few years ago I was between senior and regular flex irons and chose the senior because they just felt better. I have always used graphite shafts because they are lighter.

When I'm being fitted, my fitter has let me compare different flexes and let me decide. Seems I'm always between two of them in swing speeds. I would recommend you do the same. I'm 5'7" tall so have been able to play men's standard length.

Swing speed is a big factor in shaft flex, but not the only one. For instance, your tempo (how long it takes to swing) is also important. But if you are at 74 mph and improving that number, I think Senior flex is a good guess to start. If you tried R and it didn't feel right, then it might be a little too stout for now. You said you kept them straight with the R flex but you may be giving up some distance with the wrong shaft.

As far as ladies irons, there are some differences in the club heads in many of the sets. Apart from color schemes and style (which my wife likes but may not be important to you) many ladies irons are designed to help get the ball elevated to help with distance on slower swing speeds. Your swing speed is pretty good and so its probably not as important for you to have ladies irons specifically.

Based on my time trying out the RBZ irons, they are an extremely low spin iron head and I don't think they are going to optimize ball flight for anyone who swings under about 90mph with their 7 iron. There are probably better options out there for you.

As far as shaft length, it has more to do with your height and wrist to floor measurements than what shaft flex it is. How tall are you?

How tall are you? I would go with graphite shafted irons in senior flex, maybe shortened a bit if you are not as tall as a man (ladies clubs are shorter). My mum is almost 5' 10" and she uses senior flex graphite shafts.

Thank you everyone for your help!

I'm 5'6". Measurement from floor to wrist bend is 33.5", and charts I'm finding online suggest taking 0.25" off the shaft length.

Man, I really wish we had a fitter here...

golf4life, can you suggest another iron set over RBZ?

golf4life, can you suggest another iron set over RBZ?

Well, I'd love to help you out, but its tough without knowing more about your golf game and ball flight (and desired ball flight). Assuming you're not a golf pro (yet), I think an iron / hybrid set is a great way to go. The hybrids replace the long irons and really can help get the ball in the air for extra distance. Almost all modern ladies golf sets include hybrids, but if you're going to get off the shelf clubs or clubs through ebay, you won't easily get ladies irons without also getting the ladies flex shafts.

One interesting option for you might be the Adams Idea A12 OS clubs. We did a forum testing review on these clubs here about a year ago, and they were VERY well liked. Kelly Bo (posted above) tested these and really liked them too if I remember. They are very forgiving and help launch the ball nice and high. Another nice thing about these clubs is that you could probably find a set on ebay or at a store with senior flex graphite shafts in them (just checked ebay, plenty of sets with senior flex for around 400 bucks brand new). Also, 1/4" short isn't a huge deal I don't think. You could literally choke up on the clubs a little and be OK for now with standard length.

Here's the link to the Adams testing thread:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...s-Review-Thread-Forum-Testing&referrerid=2394

Some other non ladies' sets you may want to check out include Ping K15, Callaway Razr X HL, and Cleveland Mashie Irons to name a few.

Of course all this being said, the best is to always get to hit them first if possible, but sounds like that's just not an option. Good luck and fire away with any other questions!

Well, I'd love to help you out, but its tough without knowing more about your golf game and ball flight (and desired ball flight). Assuming you're not a golf pro (yet), I think an iron / hybrid set is a great way to go. The hybrids replace the long irons and really can help get the ball in the air for extra distance. Almost all modern ladies golf sets include hybrids, but if you're going to get off the shelf clubs or clubs through ebay, you won't easily get ladies irons without also getting the ladies flex shafts.

One interesting option for you might be the Adams Idea A12 OS clubs. We did a forum testing review on these clubs here about a year ago, and they were VERY well liked. Kelly Bo (posted above) tested these and really liked them too if I remember. They are very forgiving and help launch the ball nice and high. Another nice thing about these clubs is that you could probably find a set on ebay or at a store with senior flex graphite shafts in them (just checked ebay, plenty of sets with senior flex for around 400 bucks brand new). Also, 1/4" short isn't a huge deal I don't think. You could literally choke up on the clubs a little and be OK for now with standard length.

Here's the link to the Adams testing thread:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...s-Review-Thread-Forum-Testing&referrerid=2394

Some other non ladies' sets you may want to check out include Ping K15, Callaway Razr X HL, and Cleveland Mashie Irons to name a few.

Of course all this being said, the best is to always get to hit them first if possible, but sounds like that's just not an option. Good luck and fire away with any other questions!
yeah i was thinking the mashies. everyone loves the hybrids, and i'm sure the irons are great aswell.

Wow, lots to ponder, thanks g4l and OJ! I'll look into your suggestions. Good timing; I was *this close* to buying a RBZ 4-AW senior flex set for $500...

Wow, lots to ponder, thanks g4l and OJ! I'll look into your suggestions. Good timing; I was *this close* to buying a RBZ 4-AW senior flex set for $500...

no problem! hopefully whatever you end up getting works out for you!

Thanks Oregon Jack!
golf4life, about the Adams A12 OS, will I grow out of them quickly? Just worried about that in the hybrid iron, SGI set. Also, I tend to hit the ball nice and high already, so am a little worried about the unnecessary "help" that these will give me. Thoughts?

I guess perhaps I'm worried that these are too high-handicap, learner clubs for me. Though I'm newly back into it and have only been playing an executive 3 par course 2 times a week plus 9 holes once a weekend, I'm averaging bogeys, with the occasional par and double bogey. Haven't gotten a handicap yet.

Okay, how about Mizunos?

Thanks Oregon Jack!
golf4life, about the Adams A12 OS, will I grow out of them quickly? Just worried about that in the hybrid iron, SGI set. Also, I tend to hit the ball nice and high already, so am a little worried about the unnecessary "help" that these will give me. Thoughts?

I guess perhaps I'm worried that these are too high-handicap, learner clubs for me. Though I'm newly back into it and have only been playing an executive 3 par course 2 times a week plus 9 holes once a weekend, I'm averaging bogeys, with the occasional par and double bogey. Haven't gotten a handicap yet.

Pretty sweet that you're playing bogie golf already! If you hit a nice high ball then you are probably correct in that you don't need to play a combo set. Honestly, there's probably a lot of good options for you. The good news is that there are many, many iron sets released the last couple years that could work great for you. How much do you want to spend?

Here's a list of a bunch of iron sets that I've tried at some point in the last year or so and are really solid offerings. One of the great things about the THP annual outing in Florida each spring is that pretty much all the latest irons are available to try out on the grass range or even on the course for a round.

In no particular order:
Cobra Amp Irons
Nike VRS Forged Irons
Mizuno JPX 800 (The new 825s are probably nice too)
Mizuno JPX 800 Pros
Callaway Razr X irons
Callaway Razr X Black irons
Taylormade R11
Cleveland CG Black Irons
Wilson Ci11 Irons
Ping i20s

All of these could work out great for you with the right shaft. A lot of what works for a player though depends on which club inspires confidence and is pleasing to the eye to look at, and when they hit the ball, what club just feels and sounds right. Of course you can't figure out sound/feel without hitting them first. But as far as performance goes, I think all these sets get the job done (along with the original few I mentioned that have hybrid long irons). Personally, I love the look of the black colored iron sets and that had a factor in what I play. But many love the chrome or satin look too. All of the irons listed above have a cavity back in the club to help with forgiveness, which I think most golfers who aren't professionals could use to help with mis-hits. Whatever you choose to do, please keep us posted!

Here's a list of a bunch of iron sets that I've tried at some point in the last year or so and are really solid offerings. One of the great things about the THP annual outing in Florida each spring is that pretty much all the latest irons are available to try out on the grass range or even on the course for a round.

In no particular order:
Cobra Amp Irons
Nike VRS Forged Irons
Mizuno JPX 800 (The new 825s are probably nice too)
Mizuno JPX 800 Pros
Callaway Razr X irons
Callaway Razr X Black irons
Taylormade R11
Cleveland CG Black Irons
Wilson Ci11 Irons
Ping i20s

All of these could work out great for you with the right shaft. A lot of what works for a player though depends on which club inspires confidence and is pleasing to the eye to look at, and when they hit the ball, what club just feels and sounds right. Of course you can't figure out sound/feel without hitting them first. But as far as performance goes, I think all these sets get the job done (along with the original few I mentioned that have hybrid long irons). Personally, I love the look of the black colored iron sets and that had a factor in what I play. But many love the chrome or satin look too. All of the irons listed above have a cavity back in the club to help with forgiveness, which I think most golfers who aren't professionals could use to help with mis-hits. Whatever you choose to do, please keep us posted!
I think some of these irons might be too difficult to hit for the OP, I mean she just restarted golf and some of these are forged

Again, so much to think about! You're all a great help, and thanks so much for the rec's, g4l!

Heavy research to commence, and I'll update the thread when I decide/play!

I think some of these irons might be too difficult to hit for the OP, I mean she just restarted golf and some of these are forged

Forging is simply a way clubs are made and doesnt affect forgiveness. The Nike VRS forged are some of the most forgiving irons with one of the largest club heads on this list.

Okay, I did it.
Got Cleveland Mashie's in 2H-5H and the Callaway Razr X Blacks in 6-AW, all senior shafts. I'll try hybrids and then add to my callaway set if I n
Still on the hunt for a driver. Wondering about the Ping G20 vs Callaway Razr Fit vs Taylormade R11s or RBZ...
Also waiting on the arrival of my Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball putter.
No additional wedges for now, I'm hoping that I can stick to the PW and AW until I learn the game more.

Will update on how they play for me. Very excited!! Now to focus on work... Instead of work then reward, I did it backwards ;)

Okay, I did it.
Got Cleveland Mashie's in 2H-5H and the Callaway Razr X Blacks in 6-AW, all senior shafts. I'll try hybrids and then add to my callaway set if I n
Still on the hunt for a driver. Wondering about the Ping G20 vs Callaway Razr Fit vs Taylormade R11s or RBZ...
No additional wedges for now, I'm hoping that I can stick to the PW and AW until I learn the game more.

Will update on how they play for me. Very excited!! Now to focus on work... Instead of work then reward, I did it backwards ;)

Sounds like some solid choices. I cannot for the life of me hit a 2H or 3H very well. I play fairway woods instead. I hope you have better luck! Can't wait to see how you like them.

As for the driver, hope you have a chance to hit them all to see which one works best for you. I like Cleveland and Ping drivers. I opted for the Cleveland.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm a little nervous about the 2H and possibly 3H, but worst case I'll be buying a 3W and 5W, and may anyway. It was a good deal online for all 4, so I went with it.
I've hit the Ping G15 in a store once, and liked it, but anything's probably better than my TM R360XD stiff flex!

Found a used Cleveland Classic 270 12* in senior flex that I purchased for $100. Figured I'd try this and if I don't like it, back to the drawing board...

Wow, you don't mess around!

I love the choices you made, some of the best clubs I've ever hit! I think you're going to love the hybrids and irons. The Blacks look so good, and even though they are a pretty compact head, they have a ton of forgiveness. Don't be surprised when the black color wears on the face and sole of the club. I quite like the worn look now, and the black and red on the back is just awesome looking too. The Mashies are excellent too. I love mine. The retro look of them is nice, but they just flat out perform. The stock shaft is excellent and the hybrids just want to make the ball go straight.
The Classic is a great driver, glad you got the 12* as the Classic head is a lower spin head. The extra loft will probably help you gain distance with the lower spin.

Overall, I love what you did in such a short time. Congrats! Can't wait to hear how you hit them!

Back