sposey013168

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Guys, I have not been very active here recently. I ruptured my distal bicep tendon and had surgery to repair it :( My avatar is a picture of my scar lol. My goal is to be hitting balls by mid march. I have talked to a local pro here and when Dr gives me clearance to swing I am going to schedule a block of lessons and kind of start over, not sure how my swing will be effected by this. I am left handed but golf right handed. I think the mental fear will be the hardest thing to over come. I start PT Monday and am excited to work my tail off to get healthy. If any of you have been through a similar experience any tips you may have would be greatly appreciated. At least my injury occurred in the winter lol.

I haven't had that specific injury but did have an injury this past year which sent me to PT. I would recommend being pretty diligent about doing exactly what your PTist says. And when you reach the point of feeling good but your PTist tells you it isn't time yet to start doing more, really listen. That's the danger zone for reinjury, which just sets you back.

Wow, that's a rough way to stop a golf season!

I wish you the best recovery possible shanep! I don't have golf related injuries to relate to, but when it came to hockey injuries, start slow and BE PATIENT!!!

One good thing is the Dr thinks it had been partially tore for a while, last summer I was having weakness issues and slight pain in my left arm, I assumed it was my shoulder, my shoulder is good though, after complete recovery I may feel better than I have in a couple years. Also I will follow what PTist says to a T :)

Sounds like a nasty injury, how did you do it?? Get well soon and remember take your time with the recovery

One of our coaches tore his bicep tendon clean away from the bone, he had it anchored back but it took ages for him to get full use again, he still hasn't got full strength back over a year later. He hasn't tried swinging a club again yet and leaves all the heavy supporting mainly to me. Good luck hope it works well for you.

I gotta agree with T4Ks reply...I had back surgery in 2006 and my entire goal was to get back into the seat of a racecar ASAP (Surgery due to a highway encounter with an idiot not watching the road)..I went into post op PT with the same attitude you seem to have and I am 100% sure that my approach, dedication and PT providers are the reason my surgery ended up being such a success. I recommend that you not only do exactly as you are instructed, but also ask your therapist what you can do at home between sessions to help yourself get better. But don't overdo it regarding weight or tension, do exactly what they say. And just because you finish PT that doesn't mean you are finished. I still do about half of my old PT routine at least 3 times a week nearly 7 years after my surgery. And when you near the end of PT explain to your therapist what you want to do later on (golfing or whatever) and ask for some stretching exercises that will effectively warm up that area of your body. Proper stretching is going to be crucial to keeping that area of your body healthy.

And when you get to the point you are ready to play again shoot me a line. I also live in the Springfield area. Maybe we can get together and see how much fun a couple of crippled hillbillies can have with a clubs in our hands...haha...good luck man

Baby steps until your body tells ya, it's ok to move forward. Don't tear something up that just got fixed :thumb:

So sorry to hear, but as others have suggested...slow and easy and listen to those professionals!

Right now they have me doing scar massage 6 times a day and isometric exercises 3 x a day.
When I get the green light lets get a round in. Right now I am a member at springfield golf but thinking about going back to millwood this summer.

I gotta agree with T4Ks reply...I had back surgery in 2006 and my entire goal was to get back into the seat of a racecar ASAP (Surgery due to a highway encounter with an idiot not watching the road)..I went into post op PT with the same attitude you seem to have and I am 100% sure that my approach, dedication and PT providers are the reason my surgery ended up being such a success. I recommend that you not only do exactly as you are instructed, but also ask your therapist what you can do at home between sessions to help yourself get better. But don't overdo it regarding weight or tension, do exactly what they say. And just because you finish PT that doesn't mean you are finished. I still do about half of my old PT routine at least 3 times a week nearly 7 years after my surgery. And when you near the end of PT explain to your therapist what you want to do later on (golfing or whatever) and ask for some stretching exercises that will effectively warm up that area of your body. Proper stretching is going to be crucial to keeping that area of your body healthy.

And when you get to the point you are ready to play again shoot me a line. I also live in the Springfield area. Maybe we can get together and see how much fun a couple of crippled hillbillies can have with a clubs in our hands...haha...good luck man

That is same surgery I had, tendon was tore completely away and slightly retracted. I have always been a quick healer in the past, hopefully same thing with this, but I am going to go slow n easy :)
Here is the kicker, I tore the tendon doing of all things.....Bowling lol

I am in the pt process right now for left shoulder repair in early Ocotober.
I know from previous experience with knee surgeries that not skimping on your therapy is the real key to a quicker and full recovery.
March 1st is my target for full swings as well. Good luck !

Good luck shanep on your rehab, keep us posted on your progress.

I am going to PT that my doctor recommended, she did wonders for a friend of mine :)

And make SURE you get top-notch therapists, not some "trainer".
Get well, get fit quickly, but don't jump the gun.

Had first PT session yesterday. It went well. Therapist said for 17 days Post Op things looked good. I am doing all the things I have been instructed to do. So far so good, Hope to be on the course this summer :)

Back