The Wheel of the Year: A Panthiestic look at the Holidays

Jersey Nate

#JourneyToBetter #THPMC
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.2
Wheel_of_the_Year_by_DarkIrishLove52489.jpg

As a person who pays attention to the cycles of the year I wanted to share the festivals/solstices/equinoxes that are dear to me in little tidbits around said holidays.

Samhain
- October 31
Yule/Alban Arthan/Winter Solstice - December 20-23
Imbolc - February 2
Spring Equinox/Alban Elir/Ostara - March 20-23
Beltaine - May 1
Summer Solstice/Alban Hefin/Litha - June 20-23
Lughnasadh/Lammas - August 1
Autumn Equinox/Alban Elfed/Mabon - September 21

all things are considered to be cyclical — including the year. It is understood as a perpetual cycle of growth and retreat tied to the Sun's annual death and rebirth. This cycle is also viewed as a micro and macrocausm of other life cycles in an immeasurable series of cycles composing the Universe. The days that fall on the landmarks of the yearly cycle traditionally mark the beginnings and middles of the four seasons. They are regarded with significance and host to major communal festivals. These eight festivals are the most common times for community celebrations.
While the major festivals are determined by quarter and cross-quarter days, many minor festivals are also celebrated throughout the year amongst various traditions. Additionally, festivals (major or minor) may not enjoy the same level of significance from one tradition to another.
The festivals, being tied to solar movements, have always been steeped in solar mythology and symbolism, centred around the life cycles of the sun.

Of course the most recognizable time of the year for everyone is happening right now. The Winter Solstice/Yule occurs between December 20th-23rd, celebrating the shortest day of the year, and thusly, the return of the sun.

The most universally celebrated festival is that of Midwinter. It has been recognized as a significant turning point in the yearly cycle since the late Stone Age. The ancient megalithic sites of Newgrange and Stonehenge, carefully aligned with the solstice sunrise and sunset, exemplify this. From Germanic to Roman tradition, this is the most important time of celebration.
Practices vary...feasting and gift giving are common elements of Midwinter festivities. Bringing sprigs and wreaths of evergreenery (such as holly, ivy, mistletoe, yew, and pine) into the home and tree decorating are also common during this time.
This liminal festival marks the last month of the old year and the first month of the new year and is followed by eleven days of extended celebration in Germanic tradition. In Roman tradition additional festivities take place during the six days leading up to Midwinter. The celebration of Christmas during approximately the same time is the result of early Christianity's adaptations of popular pre-Christian festivals concerning the winter solstice.

So a happy return of light to the world, and a happy Yule/Winter Solstice to all of my THP family!

Last edited:
I didn't realize people celebrated these things but it makes sense. Happy Winter Solstice JN!

Thank you Centre!

Happy Winter Solstice Nate!

Thanks, SharkHat!

I'm glad I could share this kind of info with THP. I'll definitely be updating this thread with each holiday as they arrive.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Joyous Yule Tidings Nate

Brightly burns the Yule log tonight
Magic dances in firelight
Hold my hand and join the song
Raise the Sun King bright and strong
Dark is giving way to light
As brightly burns the Yule log tonight!
[/FONT]

Thanks Ron! Wonderful Yule poem.

wtd????

My wife doesnt have her cycle right now cause she is pregnant

I am just messing around. trying to wrap my head around these cycles.

I hear you. The Wheel of the Year is mainly built around season changes and harvest times, with the exception of Samhain (Halloween) which is a celebration of those who have passed on.

I hear you. The Wheel of the Year is mainly built around season changes and harvest times, with the exception of Samhain (Halloween) which is a celebration of those who have passed on.
right on, So...do you actually celebrate this?

right on, So...do you actually celebrate this?

Yes, in my own private way, I do celebrate these. Usually it's with meditation. I would celebrate them with others if I had other panthiests/pagans around to do so.

Yes, in my own private way, I do celebrate these. Usually it's with meditation. I would celebrate them with others if I had other panthiests/pagans around to do so.
got ya..so if there were others around. How do you celebrate this? With medidation or liquor? or shrooms and acid?

got ya..so if there were others around. How do you celebrate this? With medidation or liquor? or shrooms and acid?

Usually group meditation, no drugs are involved. A sort of ceremonial rite, a Pagan church if you will. Around Yule there would probably be a feast of some sort afterwards. It really varies based on the group of people.

Usually group meditation, no drugs are involved. A sort of ceremonial rite, a Pagan church if you will. Around Yule there would probably be a feast of some sort afterwards. It really varies based on the group of people.
got ya...

Thanks for sharing this JN.

Time to resurrect this thread because it is Imbolc, one of the holidays on the wheel of the Year!

On or around the 1st February in the northern hemisphere and 1st August in the southern, Imbolc is often seen as the first of three Spring festivals. It is hard sometimes to think of Spring in what feels like the depths of Winter. But if we look at the ground we can see the first shoots of green beginning to reach towards the Sun. Imbolc can be celebrated on either the 1st or 2nd February or more naturally when the snowdrops cover the ground.
- Druidry.org

This is the in-between time, between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox, when the sun's rays and energy get brighter and for some, a taste of Spring. A Happy Imbolc to every one of my THP family.

I know this seems weird to some, but I just wanted to share it. Thanks for reading. I'll be updating this thread again come Ostara in mid-March.

Just wanted to wish everyone in my THP family a wonderful Summer Solstice / Alban Hefin / Litha.

The Summer Solstice is the time of maximum light - when the countryside around us revels in colorful and fragrant splendor. This time is known in the Druid tradition as that of Alban Hefin - 'The Light of Summer' or 'The Light of the Shore'.

At Alban Hefin the spiral of the year has expanded to its widest point and now the hours of light are as long as they will ever be. After 21st or 22nd June, the sun's power will begin to wane and the days grow shorter. The sun has touched the northernmost point along the horizon and is about to embark upon the long journey back south, ending at Alban Arthan, the Winter Solstice, in mid-December in the Northern Hemisphere. In the Southern Hemisphere, the Summer Solstice falls on 21st or 22nd December, with the sun touching the southernmost point along the horizon.
- Druidry.org

Back