Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

I can't help you for how golfsmith does it unfortunately. I usually just make my order through my local golf shop. You can contact them actually and they can order with whatever shaft is on special and have it shipped to your home free, First Tee Golf shop (http://www.firstteegolfshop.com/). They were one of Golf Digest's top 100 fitters this year along with being a top fitter for other OEMs. Tell them Gaston sent you, I'm there at least 2-3 times a week and they are an incredible trio and very nice.

They are good to me and tolerate all my experimenting and tinkering lol and have become some great friends. Full disclosure, I get nothing out of it, I just enjoy supporting good people, no matter how big or small their business is. :)

I traded in my Big Bertha and replaced it with a XR Driver, and couldn't be happier. I was looking for something that performed similar to the X-Hot Driver. I believe that I have found it. This driver is a touch longer than the Bertha and mishits aren't as punitive.

I realize that I'm in the honeymoon phase (only 27 holes in), but I really like what I am seeing so far from this driver.

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I traded in my Big Bertha and replaced it with a XR Driver, and couldn't be happier. I was looking for something that performed similar to the X-Hot Driver. I believe that I have found it. This driver is a touch longer than the Bertha and mishits aren't as punitive.

I realize that I'm in the honeymoon phase (only 27 holes in), but I really like what I am seeing so far from this driver.

Dax

I must still be on my honeymoon with this thing because it keeps treating me right. I have absolutely crushed some drives with this thing without really trying. Smooth swings and it just takes off. Had a hole that was 391 on the card (take that with a grain of salt) and had 78 left to the pin. I realize that is rough distances and includes roll out, but I was still pretty pleased with it. Even missing the center a little it still flies so well. I can't really think of a much better driver for me right now.

I must still be on my honeymoon with this thing because it keeps treating me right. I have absolutely crushed some drives with this thing without really trying. Smooth swings and it just takes off. Had a hole that was 391 on the card (take that with a grain of salt) and had 78 left to the pin. I realize that is rough distances and includes roll out, but I was still pretty pleased with it. Even missing the center a little it still flies so well. I can't really think of a much better driver for me right now.
I love it Neb, seems it's a confidence inspiring club for you my friend.

Absolutely hammered this at the range last night. Even had a few guys watching over my shoulder which was fun. I've been working on my swing a lot and hitting this thing in the center of the club face instead of on the heel has been tremendous for me. Really hoping to get onto the course this weekend to give all my practice time a real test!

25 rounds in now with the XR and still seeing an improvement in fairways hit. Wouldn't you know, with more FWY's comes more GIR. Feeling more and more confident with this. On good swing days I can swing away and really go after it. On bad swing days the forgiveness helps bail me out.

XR%20Stats%206.10.2015_zpsvqkjehdy.jpg

I did not enjoy the stock PX shaft in a sim as compared to the Fuji 565.

Already have a 565 in a V Series. Took delivery of a XR 10.5 at 45 inches in a Oban Isawa 55 Stiff at D2 built by Frank Viola/aceofclubstp.com. Will be interesting to evaluate this combo and this shaft in both the XR and V Series.

Hit this at the range last night. Rambler was with. I was hitting this thing pretty deep at 9*.... But then Rambler decided to bring it down a notch to 8*. BOOM! Ball was flying. Could be a good omen for the qualifier!! Love hitting it in the center of this face. It's like a combination of a perfect strike on an aluminum bat and tennis racket. Still trying to find a Kai'li with a Callaway adapter so I can throw that in there. It gave me 12+ more yards in my fitting with a tighter dispersion.... Which would be a game changer for me. Happy hitting!!

This club continues to be a strength for me. It was the only club I hit well today. I used it tee off on every hole I could except for one. When I didn't hit the fairway I was in the first cut. Winds were howling today, my drives went anywhere from 215 to 300 depending on the wind. I'm playing it in the -1 D configuration still.

I'm excited to get this driver on Tuesday, with all the good reviews on it, I can't wait to give it a spin

I think my xr will be back in the bag after a 1 round hiatus

As much as a cally homer I am, I'd say don't give up on the Nike just yet. Different beast from the XR. Maybe one more round before XR man comes back.

As much as a cally homer I am, I'd say don't give up on the Nike just yet. Different beast from the XR. Maybe one more round before XR man comes back.

I don't know. .. I have a match play against a 3 capper Friday. Unless I can get a early round in tomorrow, back chins the xr

Dude you were pounding the XR from what I saw. That should stay put for quite some time...Plus every time you look at it, you see #ManCandy and La Costa.

Dude you were pounding the XR from what I saw. That should stay put for quite some time...Plus every time you look at it, you see #ManCandy and La Costa.
Just seems the launch and forgiveness is hard to beat. I'm a confessed club ho that loves tinkering, but some things should just be off limits. Like this driver and the 4w

I don't know. .. I have a match play against a 3 capper Friday. Unless I can get a early round in tomorrow, back chins the xr

That being the case, XR all day

Just seems the launch and forgiveness is hard to beat. I'm a confessed club ho that loves tinkering, but some things should just be off limits. Like this driver and the 4w

I saw you hit that 4 wood as far as most hit the driver.

You barely missed the XR when we played!

I saw you hit that 4 wood as far as most hit the driver.

I have SEEN that first hand, he's right...don't drop that 4 wood, you SMOKE that thing!

Since replacing the 2014 Big Bertha with the XR 3 weeks ago, I believe that it was the right decision.... My FIR % has improved from 35% to 50%, and my Handicap is trending lower.... I have notice that it feels like tempo is super important with the stock Project X LZ shaft. Has anyone else noticed this?

Dax

Since replacing the 2014 Big Bertha with the XR 3 weeks ago, I believe that it was the right decision.... My FIR % has improved from 35% to 50%, and my Handicap is trending lower.... I have notice that it feels like tempo is super important with the stock Project X LZ shaft. Has anyone else noticed this?

Dax

I've put in 6.5 flex. The "loading zone" definitely plays a role in the shaft feeling softer. Really rewards a good tempo

I've put in 6.5 flex. The "loading zone" definitely plays a role in the shaft feeling softer. Really rewards a good tempo

I have the 6.0 flex, because that was the same flex that I had in my old X-Hot driver (also a Project X shaft). With my XR 3W I went with a Tour Blue (because I rented a set while on vacation, and the X2 Hot 3W in that set, I crushed it and it had a Tour Blue on it), tempo doesn't feel as important.

The clubs that I have with the LZ shaft (Driver & 4H), it just feels that proper tempo is rewarded big time...

Dax

Hit 11 fairways of the 13 i hit driver on today. This head/shaft combo is just magical for me.

Hit 11 fairways of the 13 i hit driver on today. This head/shaft combo is just magical for me.
I couldn't agree more. This just works so well for me. Bombs all day long and when I do miss, it is still in play and plenty far. Sooooo much confidence in this club. I've even convinced myself that I don't have to try and step on it to get distance, it just comes with a smooth swing. My tee game was decent before, but this driver has really made it the best part of my game.

I am so pumped for the fitting at the grandaddy because they are either going to confirm this is the best fit for me so I won't ever have to wonder, or find an even better combo which just blows my mind.

I couldn't agree more. This just works so well for me. Bombs all day long and when I do miss, it is still in play and plenty far. Sooooo much confidence in this club. I've even convinced myself that I don't have to try and step on it to get distance, it just comes with a smooth swing. My tee game was decent before, but this driver has really made it the best part of my game.

I am so pumped for the fitting at the grandaddy because they are either going to confirm this is the best fit for me so I won't ever have to wonder, or find an even better combo which just blows my mind.

I've been finding that the smoother the swing the further the ball goes with this driver....

Dax

I've been finding that the smoother the swing the further the ball goes with this driver....

Dax

That's how it was for me initially but now I go after it pretty often and get great results. I wish I had gotten the 9* head so I could crank it down to 8*.

Back