One Rule of Golf You have Never Broken

It might be, for competitions. But not for a normal every day round.

I could look it up. But unless otherwise noted, distance finding devices are legal. Unless they have slop finding capability or are connected to a smart phone or pda

So do you walk off your distances?

I've never had trouble with visual estimates using the distance markers. I mean, you have three sometimes four or more distance markers and flags that are color coded to show you were they are positioned on the green. Maybe if I was a better ball striker it would matter more. My misses into the green are usually left, right, or short because I hit it fat. Maybe I'd do better using one, just feels like it takes something away to me. I don't care at all if someone else uses them, even someone I'm playing against.

Smartphone golf GPS apps are still allowed under the Rules of Golf, but the USGA effectively banned the iPhone and other smartphone platforms due to default, un-deletable weather, browser, compass, and other apps.

GPS devices are legal (as of 2012 USGA rules), as they do not have a web browser or weather tracking capabilities. As stated previously, anything that measures slope is illegal.

Lasers are legal in most tournaments any of us would play in, with the exception of USGA events (i.e. qualifiers). State Am tourneys are subject to local rules regarding dedicated GPS and lasers.

I've never worn metal spikes:bashful:

Smartphone golf GPS apps are still allowed under the Rules of Golf, but the USGA effectively banned the iPhone and other smartphone platforms due to default, un-deletable weather, browser, compass, and other apps.

GPS devices are legal (as of 2012 USGA rules), as they do not have a web browser or weather tracking capabilities. As stated previously, anything that measures slope is illegal.

Lasers are legal in most tournaments any of us would play in, with the exception of USGA events (i.e. qualifiers). State Am tourneys are subject to local rules regarding dedicated GPS and lasers.

Here is the rule to that covers it: http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-14/#14-3.

It says they are not allowed under subsection (b). There is a note at the very end that says such devices may be used if the local rules committee for the course or the competition creates a rule that says you can use one. So the way I read it is if no local rule on the subject exists they are illegal. Even then the device can only measure distance. I could be wrong, I am not a rules expert by any means. The fact that there is so much confusion about what can be used just reaffirms to me how I already felt.

Here is the rule to that covers it: http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-14/#14-3.

It says they are not allowed under subsection (b). There is a note at the very end that says such devices may be used if the local rules committee for the course or the competition creates a rule that says you can use one. So the way I read it is if no local rule on the subject exists they are illegal. Even then the device can only measure distance. I could be wrong, I am not a rules expert by any means. The fact that there is so much confusion about what can be used just reaffirms to me how I already felt.

Thanks for finding that Matt. I always thought that a rangefinder or GPS was always legal, unless the comittee disallowed it, as long as it only measured distance. Good thing the committee for the THP invitationals allows distance measuring devices. At least I think I remember JB saying that.

If the course or competition committee says they're good, then they're good.

Yes. Most of the time they are going to be good. I'd say 99% of the time but a stickler will ask, "Where did you come up with that?"!

It appeared to me that the person who said he wouldn't use them, thought they were illegal all the time.

The club preservation rule

Yes. Most of the time they are going to be good. I'd say 99% of the time but a stickler will ask, "Where did you come up with that?"!

It appeared to me that the person who said he wouldn't use them, thought they were illegal all the time.

The idea that anybody would deliberately make the game harder, in spite of the rules, bottles my mind.

The owner and head pro of my home course said that he lists the rules, but a log as people are on his course having fun. He actually recommends people tee up their seconds on Par5s. Just to make the game easier and more fun.

Not sure there is a rule that I have not broken

Buying my group a drink after a hole in one. No one was with me, so I'm good, hehe

Buying my group a drink after a hole in one. No one was with me, so I'm good, hehe

That's the cheap way to get one duey!

The idea that anybody would deliberately make the game harder, in spite of the rules, bottles my mind.

The owner and head pro of my home course said that he lists the rules, but a log as people are on his course having fun. He actually recommends people tee up their seconds on Par5s. Just to make the game easier and more fun.

I don't think too many people are worried about most rules unless you're playing in a competitive round. However, the gps ban is a rule so if one is used when it's not specifically condoned, I don't even think you're allowed to put in that round for handicap purposes. I believe (could easily be wrong), that any time you disregard a rule you can't count that round toward your cap. I still jokingly bug guys on my course, because our club nowhere has the allowabilty of gps in our rulebook(and for a small public course ourbook is triple digits long), but a ton of guys use them. I say jokingly, because I couldn't give a rat's right baby maker if people use them or not :). I don't even know why it's a rule seeing as though all it would really do would be to save caddies some work, and make the game more enjoyable for the average person.

I think all golfers have broken this rules at some point but only during fun rounds. I prefer to stick to the rules on tournament golf but that's only for myself, i'm not bothered what other people do

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I don't believe this is correct.

You are incorrect.

I could look it up. But unless otherwise noted, distance finding devices are legal. Unless they have slop finding capability or are connected to a smart phone or pda

Again.

True, but the local rule must be in effect for a competition. For handicap no local rule is necessary. From the USGA Handicap Manual:

5-1e/2. Scores Made Using a Distance-Measuring Device

Q: Are scores made using information generated from a Distance-Measuring Device acceptable for handicap purposes?

A: In certain situations, yes. If the Distance-Measuring Device measures distance only, the score is acceptable for handicap purposes, regardless of whether the Committee has established a Local Rule allowing the use of a distance-measuring device. However, the use of a device that gauges or measures other conditions that might affect a player's play (e.g., wind or gradient) is not permitted and makes the score unacceptable for handicap purposes, even if these capabilities are disabled or not used. (REVISED)

You are incorrect.

Again.

True, but the local rule must be in effect for a competition. For handicap no local rule is necessary. From the USGA Handicap Manual:

Good catch onthe handicap exception

Really? I thought for sure distance finders were againt the rules unless there was a local rule that allowed it. Well, I'm still not using them

In 99% of competitions, they're only against the rules if they incorporate slope/weather/elevation features. Most local tournaments will allow them.

And if you're using one that's conforming and allowed, why in the world would you not use it?

Never teed up off the tee box.

Never used an alignment stick on the course.

Never used a non conforming ball or club.

THPing on Tapatalk

Hard to think of one. Probably not having ever used alignment sticks on the course.

Before I knew all the rules I broke them all the time, unintentionally. As I learn rules I play by them. Now I would say I know the rules well and play by them as well as I know how. I'm definitely not a guy who uses the foot wedge.

I've probably broken every rule in the book at one time or another, but am usually a stickler for 14 clubs only, not teeing up forward of the markers and hitting a provisional when necessary.

I'm prob really bad with how much I take /hand out gimmes and will take a second ball off the tee at the drop of a hat when need be.

Taps away

The only one is the where you.....No wait. It was the one when the ball is .....hold on. I remember, it was the the one that says the club......uh oh. I just love the game!!

I don't think I've ever had too many clubs in the bag.

Back