If you could only improve one part of your game this year.

If you could only improve one part of your game this year.

• Driving

Votes: 34 32.4%
  • Irons

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Short game

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • Putting

Votes: 24 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rozo22

Reaction score
Handicap
If you could only improve one part of your game this year, what would it be?

Driver- to make sure you are hitting from the fairway more often and avoiding OB.

Irons- to hit more greens

Short game- help you get up and down around the green

Putting- Stopping the dreaded 3 putts all together

For me - it's a tie between Driving the ball better and intermediate chipping/wedge game (20-50 yards). Those are the two things I'm actively trying to get better at.

I need to get off the tee better. Happy where everything else was last year for the most part but I need to hit more fairways in regulation.

Driving for me. My number one source of bad scores comes from terrible tee shots.

I know I started a thread stating that long irons do not matter for me, but that was under the premise that I did not have enough time to really improve my ball-striking significantly. If I could snap my fingers and be significantly better at one portion of my game, ball striking would be it.

Putting hands down the worst part of my game.

I wish I had a repeatable swing that leads to consistent ball striking. I'm not asking for much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chipping/pitching. I think that could save me a bunch of strokes.

Great question OP...

For me it's my driving. Too many times I'm either left in a bad spot, hitting from a terrible lie (i.e. thick rough), or being penalized for a bad tee shot. All those things put undo pressure on the other parts of my game. I believe if I fix that, everything else will fall into place.

My short game would be my choice. From 125 and in, if I was 50% better than I was last year, I'm confident my scores would go down by at least 5 shots a round. Just getting up and down for par more on par 4's, or getting up and down for birdie on par 5's.....that's what I'd like to do.

Irons for me - it being a combination of not only hitting more greens but getting them closer to the hole, especially with short irons in my hands.

I've finally got to a point where I can trust my driver and irons to consistently move the ball forward and away from trouble the majority of the time. So this year I will be working a lot more on short game and actually playing/practicing on the course.

I play a lot with my 9 year old from the tees he's at in his junior league (first 100 yards, then 150 yards, currently 200). I just treat them as par 3's. I make 3-4 GIRs per 9 holes and the rest of the shots are almost always within 20 yards of the pin. I've found my scores are now dependent most on how I perform from 20 yards and in (even from 200 with a 4 or 5 iron). Sadly, it can be bad and add up fast at times if I find myself hitting 2 pitches/chips and/or 3 putts on a a hole.

I voted short game even though I see some 3 putts. I generally have no trouble putting on the practice green or starting on a good line when actually playing. My putting issues seem to be mostly from distance control, especially on longer putts. So I think short game could solve a lot of 3 putts if I put the ball closer to the hole when chipping/pitching.

putting for me, #own125

Putting, always putting!

This year, I'm going to use a lot of my lessons for putting and chipping.

Iron play for me. I have a decent ability but I'm dying for that shot to shot consistency.

short game

My tee game, short game. Been working tirelessly on the short game and seen great improvement so far.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

I voted short game, as my green side game, while improved, still has a long ways to go. I was torn, though, as I pondered selecting putting. I think dropping 3 to 4 putts per round would be just as effective as improving my green side short game. Of course, improving the short game could also have a positive impact on putting, if I'm leaving myself 3 ft for par versus 8 ft for par.

Irons, without a doubt. I don't even care if I improve enough to hit greens. I just want to improve enough to get close to greens.

Stop using my driver and go to a fairway 4 hybrid to start getting it straight in the fairway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irons. Although a strong point of my game forever, last season was one of my worst with my iron play.

I was therefore a scrambling fool. Chipping game improved through practice and the unfortunate increase in opportunities. Putting was solid, Driver ok too.

Don't get me wrong, I need to improve them all. ? But improved iron play would result in lower scores for me, perhaps significantly, if all else stayed the same.

Irons for sure for me. I'm barely hitting 20% GIR

Back