Uh-oh...while cutting off my old grips

DblBogey4Life

Reaction score
Handicap
I put a small cut into two of my shafts. How much trouble am I in???? Cut is just barely into the surface of the shaft...can feel but barely see.

Irons (steel) or Woods (graphite)?

Irons should be no problem at all and the graphite shouldn't be much of an issue if it is just a scratch being at the butt end. Slow and steady.

Irons (steel) or Woods (graphite)?

Irons should be no problem at all and the graphite shouldn't be much of an issue if it is just a scratch being at the butt end. Slow and steady.

I'd say the same, if it's scratch no problem, but if it's trough..then there could be some trouble.

Im certain I have done this a time or two. Never has caused me a problem, at all.

I did this same thing a few days ago. If you're super concerned about it, I bet you could take epoxy and lightly put it over the scratch and then some. Just be sure not to do too much where you could feel it through the grip.

I can't see there being a real problem. You should be fine.

Should be fine. I'm sure it happens more than we know when others change our grips

Thanks for the quick replys. Thought I would be ok, but my first regrip. Got Pure grips for Xmas and Haven't had a chance to put them on. Need to go to Home Depot and get the hook blade for the future.

They make hooked blades for utility knives which will protect against this happening.

You can still scratch them even with a hook blade. Those damn things are sharp and if you hook in at a funny angle, voila. Ask how I know :(

I avoid the issue by cutting an inch or so off the bottom of the grip, then just peel it off like a banana.

I avoid the issue by cutting an inch or so off the bottom of the grip, then just peel it off like a banana.

I wish it was always this easy. Frig, some people don't change their grips for years, then they break off into pieces while peeling.

That's why I'm going with the pure grips. Took 3 or 4 to get the hang of it. After that it was a price of cake.

I wish it was always this easy. Frig, some people don't change their grips for years, then they break off into pieces while peeling.

I'm doing my dad's irons sometime this week and they still have the original Tour Wraps from like 1995. I bet what you describe will happen.

I'm doing my dad's irons sometime this week and they still have the original Tour Wraps from like 1995. I bet what you describe will happen.

Brutal. Hopefully you have better luck than some of the grips I had to do at work.

I have put scratches on graphite shafts a few times. Never had any issues, but then again I never really gouged one either. Going to start using air and that shoulc eleminate this problem if the original grips will come off with the air on the first grip change.

I've scratched a few shafts in my day and it hasn't ever been a problem. I think gouges in graphite would be the only real trouble makers.

you will be fine

Back