LT Calls It Quits

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
He will sign a contract with the Chargers and then officially announce his retirement. His numbers say he is one of the best ever, and while I don't put him in that mythical "top 5 or 10", he was truly a great player and a future Hall of Famer.

Sad to hear of LT's retirement - he was a dynamic player and was very fun to watch.

Great running back. Was fun watching him in college and with the Chargers.

Just saw that. Guess he didn't want to retire a Jet lol. Great player

A great player to watch and as a fan of the Bolts, rooted for him. Classy move on both sides to have him hang up his spikes as a Charger. I'll wear his jersey with pride again.

in his day, what an awesome player to watch

Glad he's going out a charger. He was fun to watch and seemed like a good guy off the field.

He had a stretch there in the mid 2000s where there wasn't a better player in the league. While not a top 5 guy, he was one of the best players of his generation.

• Admin
Here is a funny LT story that I am not sure has been told before. In his rookie year, he was told to carry the ball bags to the field by a LB at the time. We watched him carry stuff back and forth for about an hour and he had his head down the entire time. The LB came up to him and said something along the lines of "Boy, you do that great, but next time smile and show off them pearly whites". LT turned to the LB and said, I smile all the time on the field, you just don't see it because you are staring at my rear (saying that he was always chasing him and couldnt catch him).

So first play from scrimmage they hand the ball off to LT and he spins right by the LB and takes it to the house. As LT is walking back he turns to him and says something along the lines of "I was smiling the whole time there, you would have seen it if you were with in 20 yards of me".

great story JB.... lol its a shame hes already retiring thought he was still pretty young i guess thats the Toll of being a RB.

I watched LT play in the Mobile, Al Bowl in 1999 when he was still at TCU against, I believe it was ECU? Anyway, he was lightning in a bottle then, and it was a blast watching him in the NFL. One of my all time favorites at the position, and during his prime it seemed he was uncatchable.

Here is a funny LT story that I am not sure has been told before. In his rookie year, he was told to carry the ball bags to the field by a LB at the time. We watched him carry stuff back and forth for about an hour and he had his head down the entire time. The LB came up to him and said something along the lines of "Boy, you do that great, but next time smile and show off them pearly whites". LT turned to the LB and said, I smile all the time on the field, you just don't see it because you are staring at my rear (saying that he was always chasing him and couldnt catch him).

So first play from scrimmage they hand the ball off to LT and he spins right by the LB and takes it to the house. As LT is walking back he turns to him and says something along the lines of "I was smiling the whole time there, you would have seen it if you were with in 20 yards of me".
Great story I had never heard before. Thanks for sharing it.

I just looked at his stats. From 2003 to 2007 he was a beast. I am not sure there are too many other running backs you are going to have 1,645 yards rushing and 100 receptions.

man, I have enjoyed watching him play. I hate to see him go but I sure do think it was time

Round of applause for the Chargers for bringing home one of their own and to LT for a great career. What a great example of a RB superstar who isn't a diva and who worked hard to get where he did. I always root for guys like him.

I just looked at his stats. From 2003 to 2007 he was a beast. I am not sure there are too many other running backs you are going to have 1,645 yards rushing and 100 receptions.

Thats the biggest part of what made him great. He was one of the first real double threat running backs. He could break one off for 90 yards or catch a screen and take it to the house. He was a great player for sure.

It's sad he didn't finish his career strong, he kinda slumped at the end. Kinda reminded me of Shaun Alexander. Great player and future HOFer though.

It's sad he didn't finish his career strong, he kinda slumped at the end. Kinda reminded me of Shaun Alexander. Great player and future HOFer though.

What RB finishes their career like they play at their peak though? Barry Sanders is about the only one I can think of and I think everyone would agree that he cut bait way too early.

Great career. Glad to see him go out now rather than struggle a few more years just to pack stats

It's amazing that not one of his Charger teams made it to the Super Bowl....silly Norv

Last edited:
I never really view retirement as sad news. LT had a great career, and I'm happy for him. Especially happy to see him do it in a Chargers jersey.

Good for him, retiring while he's still in one piece. Great career, but there was something off in the chemistry of those Charger teams.

He is certainly a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. Cool that he'll retire a Bolt.

Wish he would've gotten a ring. He really deserved it with how he carried himself throughout his career and how great he once was.

Back