2012 US Open Contest & Official Thread [Spoilers]

He failed miserably but he also didn't have a 5 year exemption.

Yeah, I think the discussion is at least different if he wins, versus the suggestion that he turn pro regardless and play the Nationwide as was suggested.

The announcers were commenting in the last couple days that just making the cut at the Open gets players directly into Phase 2 of Q-School (talking about John Peterson the fact that he had no playing privileges on any tour). I know there are other playing exemptions at play here at least with other majors.

Notah Begay reminds me of a wind talker. Seems like a really nice guy

Correction, you need to be a 1.4 hdcp or lower to be able to qualify.

More setup details from Ron Sirak on Twitter:
Olympic Club Sunday setup: Par -4 # 1 532 yds; Par-4 # 7 264 yds; Par-5 # 16 moved up 102 yds to 569; Par-5 # 17 510 yds; Par-4 # 18 335 yds

The tees on 16-18 are all moved up. Could the tee on 18 possibly tempt a longer hitter to try to get the ball close to the green on the tee shot instead of just hitting an iron into the flat part of the fairway?

No, Wie had turned pro but is still finishing college at Stanford.

Ty Tryon is the best example of someone skipping college altogether and turning pro.

I think she finished this year or last year. But my question more specifically was did she play college golf at all or did she go straight to professional events after HS?

Guys, we did this yesterday :)

Hossler entered the qualifiers and the open as an amateur, waiving all rights to any prize money. He can not change his status mid tournament. He will get nothing cash wise if he wins, but he will get the exemptions.

More setup details from Ron Sirak on Twitter:
Olympic Club Sunday setup: Par -4 # 1 532 yds; Par-4 # 7 264 yds; Par-5 # 16 moved up 102 yds to 569; Par-5 # 17 510 yds; Par-4 # 18 335 yds

The tees on 16-18 are all moved up. Could the tee on 18 possibly tempt a longer hitter to try to get the ball close to the green on the tee shot instead of just hitting an iron into the flat part of the fairway?

Colsaerts will go for it I guarantee it.

I think she finished this year or last year. But my question more specifically was did she play college golf at all or did she go straight to professional events after HS?

No, she had already turned pro by the time she entered college, so she was not eligible for college golf.

He failed miserably but he also didn't have a 5 year exemption.

1.3 mil is a lot of money to pass up. That is money in the bank. Everyone saying that you walk away from that is crazy. Nothing is promised in this world- and if he stays am and never wins anything again he is 1.3 poorer.

Even if you finish HS, you don't have to be playing a full PGA schedule just because you have the exemption.

Hand pick tournaments, play close to home, etc. You can still "wade" into the pro's- you don't have to jump right in.

I ran out of witty tapatalk signatures...

How often this week do you think hossler has thought to himself "man, I really wish I didn't have braces right now"?

Colsaerts will go for it I guarantee it.

Yup I think he will too, so will others within a stroke or two. This is gonna be good

No, she had already turned pro by the time she entered college, so she was not eligible for college golf.
Cool thanks Im too lazy to wiki today

It would be cool if they quit tailing Tiger right now.

Man this just made me think of another question...what happens to the prize money for the place am amateur finishes? Do they recalculate the distribution? If he won and stayed an amateur does the second place guy get the winners purse?

I believe it gets passed down to the next highest finisher. That's what I have read atleast.

Seriously. Tappin'.

Here we go, finally we have coverage!

Here we go again, its 4pm and they are showing baseball highlights, SMH!

But wait, first we have to talk baseball for a few minutes. :-(

Ken

Chances of a low round are getting worse.....

"RT @MikeButeau: Fog and WIND rolling into the Olympic Club. Yesterday at this time, wind was 3 mph. Now... it's 18 mph. #USOpen"

Details details. I didn't know however that LT retired today, so for once that stupid sports update was useful.

"oh yeah back to the US Open"

Tapa Slice

I hope I get to learn more about Casey Martin today

6 and a half hours of live coverage = 6 swings and 3 putts seen on tv

Tapa Slice

Back