TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

I go this hat in honor of my lovely RBZ 5 iron, I am really liking the RBZ line in general! I am going to be getting either an RBZ tour 18* 5 wood or a 19* R11s 5 wood so this hat is relevant either way since it has R11s on the other side

The only thing stopping me from buying a full set of RBZ irons is the money, I want to get them completely fitted to me so my game will be way better!

Also like I've said earlier I'm not too hot on the grey-green they'll release a shiny version lol they always do (Burner 1.0.2.0 HP. . .)
$(KGrHqF,!hsE8T5+cqr(BPPs-)ZpI!~~60_3.JPG

The suspense is killing me.... Can't wait to get these things. Wouldn't be nice if Taylormade just decided to send them next day air!..... Well one can wish.

Since I got the drive and 3 wood.... I have 2 friends that bought woods. One bought the driver since he was finally convinced it was better than his $14.99 Dicks sporting goods driver.... True story. We played in 2 man best ball... He had hit my driver and liked it a couple of weeks earlier. We were on range before tee off time in tourney. He hit it five times..... said.. I'll be right back. Went to pro shop and bought it. And he NEVER spends money on clubs. Evidence being the $14.99 driver he bought when his got snapped in a revolving door. He's a 5 handicap to boot.

Now another bought the 3 wood and another is looking at driver plus 3 wood. I keep telling them I got the clubs, bag and hat first! (got to get the hat OG to complete the transition, lol)

Nate - I've been following your reviews on these irons. I got fitted to them as apparently I have an issue with overspinning (except with these). I'm excited though it's a big departure from my prior clubs which were handed down and never fit to me, but I have heard prior GI irons have suffered from hotspots. Do you find the long irons prone to having some of these issues? I have to say from the clubfitting I am still reeling from how well I hit the mid irons.

I wouldn't say hot spots so much, but every once in a while I'll find a shot go a few yards longer than usual. I've been hitting the PW about 140 on solid strikes but there's been a few times where all of a sudden it flies just a little higher and goes 145. It's almost like a mini jumper.

As far as testing, I went out and played today with them. Brutal front 9 of 45, better back 9 of 39. The 45 on the front had much to do with not getting off the tee very well. The misses for me with these have all been left. That being said, I'm going to take these to a local store and get the lie angles dropped a couple degrees if it's needed and see if that helps some of these lefts. I felt like Bubba Watson when I turned a 9i over 25yds in the air to my target today...

This should also be a nice time to see how much they're tweakable for those who may have similar issues.

After just a couple rounds I can say That I really am coming to like the regular 4 and 5 irons. It was not love at first site but started warming up to them after the first range session. I have taken them out on the course about 3 times now and find that i am hitting them pretty well almost every swing. I was about 250 out from the front edge of water on a par 5 so i was laying up right in front. I proceeded to watch my buddy hit a 3 wood about 240 and lay up perfectly right in front of the water about 10 yards off. I then took out my 4 iron and hit it about 13 yards shorter than he did. I find myself constantly hitting these things for distance. Its almost as if on my local course I have no use for any kind of wood anymore because my 4 iron has just as much distance as my 3 wood but is almost more accurate because it is an iron. I love swinging these things.

After just a couple rounds I can say That I really am coming to like the regular 4 and 5 irons. It was not love at first site but started warming up to them after the first range session. I have taken them out on the course about 3 times now and find that i am hitting them pretty well almost every swing. I was about 250 out from the front edge of water on a par 5 so i was laying up right in front. I proceeded to watch my buddy hit a 3 wood about 240 and lay up perfectly right in front of the water about 10 yards off. I then took out my 4 iron and hit it about 13 yards shorter than he did. I find myself constantly hitting these things for distance. Its almost as if on my local course I have no use for any kind of wood anymore because my 4 iron has just as much distance as my 3 wood but is almost more accurate because it is an iron. I love swinging these things.

Nice, glad to hear you're having success. The 4i is definitely a fairway finder when struck well.

I have been playing these since they came out and really enjoyed reading this thread. Has anyone reshafted these yet?
Like bahester I'm waiting until the testing period is over to reshaft them.

I'm with ya brother as I have never been a 3 - wood type junkie. Heck I don't have any woods in my bag other than my driver and 3 hybrid. I don't have the RBZ 3 iron but I can tell ya the 4i will deliver some serious distance too.

The 4i is a go to club, definately. I need to give my 4i an official title. Something cool. How about The Doctor?

"Looks like a tough, long shot. Bring me The Doctor."

Nate - I've been following your reviews on these irons. I got fitted to them as apparently I have an issue with overspinning (except with these). I'm excited though it's a big departure from my prior clubs which were handed down and never fit to me, but I have heard prior GI irons have suffered from hotspots. Do you find the long irons prone to having some of these issues? I have to say from the clubfitting I am still reeling from how well I hit the mid irons.
Appreciate the support wahoo2001 and honored I'm a topic on your 1st post here! Interesting point you bring up about the hot spots on these clubs. I agree with mward. I'm getting consistent distance with each of them. It's more I'm still dialing in the distance control with the 5 and 4 irons. But then again, who's not trying to dial in their long irons?! But for the most part I'm getting better with the control. I battled with the ball flight direction at the beginning and now I'm dialing in the distance. I've been hitting the 5 iron a good 200-215 yards. The 4 iron is probably 10-20 yards more. But I think for the most part the distance is there, just a matter of controlling it (i.e. playing a fade vs playing a draw).

Range Session:

I was rained out of my round on Tuesday and could only get out Thursday for the range session. Right now these irons are just working for me. I just want to get out of play an actual round with them this week. I am seeing the distance gains with them again and I'm loving how these irons feel. I just really need course time with them. That is what I haven't had in the last couple of weeks.

The 4i is a go to club, definately. I need to give my 4i an official title. Something cool. How about The Doctor?

"Looks like a tough, long shot. Bring me The Doctor."

The "Doctor" is always on call :thumb:

Has anybody other than me tried the 3 hybrid vs the 4 iron in this thread? Just curious as to what you are seeing in comparison with distance & accuracy?

Thank you all for the reviews. The testing period has officially ended for the RBZ irons. Our forum testing members can keep these clubs and enjoy them as they wish.

Thank you all for the reviews. The testing period has officially ended for the RBZ irons. Our forum testing members can keep these clubs and enjoy them as they wish.

I want to say thank you for this initial testing opportunity of my THP tenure. The RBZ irons were such a huge offering from TaylorMade and to be allowed to test was a great honor. Testing is tough! Folks, if you just want some clubs it is much easier to just go and buy them. I stumbled at times and think my 2nd go around is going a little bit better. I want to thank everyone for hanging in there with me.

As far as the clubs go. Right now they are in the bag and I'm quite happy. I'm hitting some great balls with them and they are making golf a bit easier for me at he moment. The only club from the set I'm not using is the 4i. I have a RBZ 4H and just love it. I also through the 50* wedge back in with the ATV soul and am planning on adding a ATV 56" because I'm liking the contact so well. When reading JMans thoughts on wedges I am definitely more of a simple wedge player and these work quite well. As much as I wanted to fight it at times there are a great set for me.

@Ole Gray the 3 hybrid is longer than the 4iron for me and I really like it.

Great job all you testers! Lots of good info on these irons.

Great job all you testers! Lots of good info on these irons.

Second this. The testers did THP and TaylorMade proud in this thread. Results = many, many new RBZ fans out there. Way to go guys!

Ditto!

Thanks to THP & TaylorMade for allowing me to test these irons :clapp:! They have found a special place in my heart and will remain in my bag for as long as they like :D. Testing is a huge responsibility and I have seen so many different ways it can be done. Different styles from folks all over the country. It's not just a chance to receive a new product as a freebie ,but a chance to bond with it and tell the public how it works good or bad. I certainly appreciate my opportunity with these and hope in some small way, I have helped those who were on the line with these clubs, some honest advice :thumb:

Great feedback from all the testers. This thread makes me want to try these irons. Good job everyone!

Thank you THP and Taylormade for giving me the opportunity to test these out. I do plan on keeping them in the bag even now that the testing is complete. I plan on taking them to a shop soon and having some things tweaked and adjusted to see if I can make these a little better fitting for me.

Great job THP testers.

As noted earlier, I ended up with the RBZMax irons because of this thread. I had discounted TMag clubs over the last several years, but the forums here got me to re-evaluate.

THP thanks for being here and thank you testers. My handicap is better for it. I am sure from the thread that others are benefitting just as much.

Tapatalking

Thank you THP and Taylormade for this opportunity. 130 pages later I think I can say at the very least we made people take a hard look at these irons. They live up to the hype and are absolute rockets. I hope more people will continue to look at them and post their feedback in here! Thanks again to everyone involved, it was fun :bananadance:

Really enjoyed the information that was posted here. Thanks guys for your work and hope I get a chance to hit these soon!

you all did a great job with the testing! Thanks for all the great info!

I also want to give a big round of applause to the testers on this one. They've been thorough as well as fair on the high and low points. I honestly never would have looked twice at them without this thread which would have been a shame.

Good job testers!

I also want to give a big round of applause to the testers on this one. They've been thorough as well as fair on the high and low points. I honestly never would have looked twice at them without this thread which would have been a shame.

Good job testers!

You stated recently you hit these right ST? I think I remember seeing where you liked them

Yesterday and today actually. They have a suprisingly nice feel/sound that I didn't expect and the sole/top line isn't any bigger then the MX200's I use to play.
Great distance as expected, easy to flight up and down and pretty hard to get offline. I had to work get to the things to draw/fade more then 5 yards (but then I don't hit those shots through setup).

I'm really quite impressed and fairly happy with them. I'm trying to see if the local TM rep has some more shaft options for me to try out in the them before I make a choice.

Back